Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Make an additional Alsatian dog config that is scriptable.

The dogs (all animals for that matter) are great, but at least the Alsatian should also have a version that is scriptable.

Right now it's not controllable and it would add a lot of playability if you could have the dog as part of a group and use the move commands.

This would be very useful in missions, dog parties can guard a base or track the players fleeing from an area, a dog also has better awareness than a human.

Shouldn't be much work, just make an additional config that counts the new dog as a human unit, who cares if it is silly that they can drive a car, that stuff is up to the mission designer.

You know I'm right :D

Edited by laggy

The Alsatian is already a playable entity. We're currently doing work on it and we use it to test an addon we're making. The next step is to config a groupable dog as you said.

Edited by DMarkwick

Yep have a dog in a group and it "hears" longer distances when someone tries to sneak up on you while having guard duties. I thaught that would be the case from start when i saw the dogs actually.

But we will get there. Look one bright mind is on it already. ;)

Alex

A utility dog lover I have a feature request:

· realistic animal night vision

· hearing acuity

· barking

· whining

· leg humping

· marking (peeing)

Imagine the realistic fun you could have with this in muti-player games, chasing the player trying to be stealthy and giving his leg 'the treatment', realistic pursuit tracking roles, seeing and hearing what Player can't -- but only being able to disclose that fact by barking and running. The value and fun that animals give us in the real world can add even more in depth of realism and fun in games imho...

:)

The Alsatian is already a playable entity. I'm currently doing work on it and I use it to test an addon I'm making. The next step is to config a groupable dog as you said.

Hats off to your work and good luck !

Though I think this is such a simple thing for BIS to do, since the model already exists and they only need a small config adjustment to add this new "useful dog".

Would take a programmer/developer less than a coffee break to do this small adjustment if I'm not mistaken.

I'm very reluctant to start using addons, since the vanilla ArmA2 is fantastic... part from this issue.

@ Hoak

All those inventive things are easy for an average mission designer/scripter to accomplish, except new animations which are unnecessary I think.

Please dear BIS, if you exist and can hear me :jesus: this is such a simple small thing to do...

Yep have a dog in a group and it "hears" longer distances when someone tries to sneak up on you while having guard duties. I thaught that would be the case from start when i saw the dogs actually.
A utility dog lover I have a feature request:

· realistic animal night vision

· hearing acuity

· barking

· whining

· leg humping

· marking (peeing)

Imagine the realistic fun you could have with this in muti-player games, chasing the player trying to be stealthy and giving his leg 'the treatment', realistic pursuit tracking roles, seeing and hearing what Player can't -- but only being able to disclose that fact by barking and running. The value and fun that animals give us in the real world can add even more in depth of realism and fun in games imho...

Well, the new dog skill that we have given the dog will make for some interesting scenarios I'm sure :) it's unlike any other skill I've ever seen in OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 certainly ;)

That skill is already fully functional and working great. I just need to figure out the config to make the dog playable as a team member and it'll get released. That's if it can even be done, I don't know how a dog would be able to accept some of the commands available to all other units (getting a dog to drive a vehicle for instance, or even something as simple as setting it's awareness to stealth) and it might not even be possible to have a dog as a team member.

Edited by DMarkwick

There's still some work to be done, but

is a small taster. The dog cannot be ordered, but it can be controlled directly by the player.

There's still some work to do, I've yet to fully realise it's implementation for example, but the main purpose & functionality is there.