Sign in to follow this  

MLRS Barrage - Artilery Module?

Hey fellas,

I have read posts about this, i have read the wiki about this, i have read the comments about this, and i have searched about this, so my last resort is to post about it here.

I cannot, under any circumstances, get the MLRS units to fire there rounds. I downloaded the test map from the wiki page about artilery, and even then they refuse to fire the rounds.

All i want, is a simple no BS way to place a single MLRS unit on the map, sync it to an artilery module, and have it blow up the targets i tell it too. Is that possible? I just want the AI to sit in the MLRS, me to request a barrage, and them to fire on the co-ordinates i give.

I'm getting really frustrated!

Thanks alot,

Rich.

Ignore this row of text i wrote - we want the same mate.

I myself am waiting for en example mission of an AI operated artygun (physical) that i can see and tell to fire through map. Havent seen an example of that though.

Alex

The example mission from the wiki should do the trick.

The next time you test it and your in game, press 0 and look for "communication".

We know how to call them.

Its having them there where we can place them out and build bases around them with camo nets and all the other good stuff and then give them orders to shoot at targets we choose. I havent seen that yet. (AI operated taking orders from me)

The example mission from the wiki should do the trick.

The next time you test it and your in game, press 0 and look for "communication".

Yup that's exactly what the example missions do. Check the main artillery thread in this section, I believe a link is posted on pg 2 or 3.

Alex72,

I did that using the example missions. I basically merged the example mission into my mission then built some stuff up around the artillery.

The example missions at BIKI by Headspace should do that. Call em - choose ammo - they tell you to give em a target - you bring map up and click on it - after some time WHAM!

I myself am waiting for en example mission of an AI operated artygun (physical) that i can see and tell to fire through map. Havent seen an example of that though. But BIKI works.

Alex

But the example mission didn't work, it just confused me. There were 3 triggers on the map with a million gozillion paragraphs of random gibberish script, loads of sync lines, and loads of modules. And even with all the tonnes of scripting etc that i do not understand, when i tell them to fire nothing happens!

They say they are firing, and things like "splash out" etc. But all they do is aim towards the sky and never fire a single rocket.

And i thought it would be way simpler than having to write tonnes of scripts? Isn't that what the modules are for?

Thanks,

Rich.

I know mate - read again. I messed up sorry. We want the same thing.

Manzilla told me before there should be an example mission like this. So there is a mission where we can move around artys with AI in them and they take orders from the player where to shoot? Thats friggin amazing if we could find it lol. I did backtrack but i dont understand all script talk.

Alex

Yeah thanks Alex. I have seen various videos on youtube though, where he just orders some artillery fire from the MLRS unit, and it blows the crap out of some poor village. It didnt have a million triggers scripts and sync either, it looked really easy.

On other posts people have just said "sync the arty module to the MLRS and your done", but that completely fails for me.

Rich.

I know mate - read again. I messed up sorry. We want the same thing.

Manzilla told me before there should be an example mission like this. So there is a mission where we can move around artys with AI in them and they take orders from the player where to shoot? Thats friggin amazing if we could find it lol. I did backtrack but i dont understand all script talk.

Alex

I'm not sure about moving them around, maybe the MLRS. Here's the thread with the example missions.(Check Headspace's post near the bottom.)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73272&page=2

Yep. Been there done that. Maybe i didnt get it though?

I tested them and its made with SOM. Not what we want. And i didnt see them (MLRS) either. I heared someone moved them etc, but i dont have ARMA2. I test at a friends for the moment so i cant just jump in and test things. But that one is with SOM wich generates side missions i think?

We want arty's like you would add static guns in there with AI sitting in them. And then with some magic be able to tell them to fire on targets we choose. And also ofcourse be able to see them fire. I want to setup a battery of artys in a forest clearing with camonets around and barrels and ammo boxes etc :) for authenticity.

But i think it hasnt been done yet. I think?

Alex

It's my understanding that SOM must be used, but you can set the "settings" so that SOM is deactivated. Check mission editing and scripting for SOM and/or arty.

Yep. Been there done that. Maybe i didnt get it though?

I tested them and its made with SOM. Not what we want. And i didnt see them (MLRS) either. I heared someone moved them etc, but i dont have ARMA2. I test at a friends for the moment so i cant just jump in and test things. But that one is with SOM wich generates side missions i think?

We want arty's like you would add static guns in there with AI sitting in them. And then with some magic be able to tell them to fire on targets we choose. And also ofcourse be able to see them fire. I want to setup a battery of artys in a forest clearing with camonets around and barrels and ammo boxes etc :) for authenticity.

But i think it hasnt been done yet. I think?

Alex

This is pretty much what I've done except the artillery is located next to my base on an airfield. It uses SOM but I've set it to not call side missions so basically it just gives me artillery, air supply drop, heli transport and tactical airstrikes.

I can stand at the base, call the artillery, then pick a target off in the distance via map click then sit back and watch the AI controlled artillery fire away.

The example mission was the same template I used for this mission but I added a line to the SOM modules init and it disables all the side missions. I'm not sure of any other way to add artillery barrages except using SOM and with side missions disabled, everything seems to work as I want it to.

Ouph yeah i did haha. It gets a bit much for my head. Many things are described in ways i dont know what to do with them. Thats why people like me and OP needs a sample mission.

I know how to set it all up with SOM. So if i know how to disable the incoming missions - then i can fix it. :) But i have no clue how to disable it.

Let me try investigate. :386:

EDIT: Woot Manzilla? Thats what we want! :) So ok... SOM init??? Ehh ok let me check that example mission and see if i get any wiser. Thanks!

EDIT2: And you meant BIKI mission right?

Thanks Nate.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Thank you! Kisses and hugs and beers and all. :bounce3: :D

Ok now it shouldnt be any probs.

Richie: Let me talk to my mate to whip a "template" together. Then you can come on MSN (if you have?) and i can send it to you. Sounds cool? MSN under my avatar.

Alex

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

Yep it was the biki one Richie - just add the line Manzilla put here into the SOM's init line.

The MLRS's are on the smallest island south-east. They HAVE to be in a corner of the map as they shoot so friggin far. My mate just looked at them and sure enough they are operated and fired - all while you watching! ;)

Alex

And here it is. Da proof of awesomeness. :)

MLRS.jpg

Range from the little island is insane. On the map it even shows inner region - RED (where it cant fire - too close) and an outer region - GREEN where the range limit is. And its like a tiny bit left of the map. :)

Well its working as you & me wanted Richie. Thanks again Manzilla and Headspace and BIKI and BIS and ARMA2 for being the best of the best.

Alex

Hey fellas,

Thanks alot for all the help! I finally figured out how to get artillery support, it works really well and is really simple! Here is a video i made:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6pNYVcmcc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6pNYVcmcc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'll make a little tutorial for anyone who doesn't know yet, it is very simple but im glad i know how to do it now!

Rich.

Did you ever get round to making that tutorial ? is there a small mission template i can download somewhere so that i can just copy the scripts?

Did you ever get round to making that tutorial ? is there a small mission template i can download somewhere so that i can just copy the scripts?

X2 i also need help

Its actually really easy to do this, I have been able to get any artillery, MLRS, BM-21, M119, D-30 to fire on static targets with just one line of code put in a radio event.

1. Put down a target vehicle someplace on the map, far enough away that it is outside the minimum range of your artillery piece. Call this "target_vehicle".

2. Place an artillery piece or two someplace on the map so once again it will be able to hit the target outside its minimum range.

3. Add an artillery module, this is the important part, name it "my_battery". Sync this to the lead artillery piece.

4. Add an event someplace and make its activation to be Radio Alpha or something like that and make it repeatable. In its activation line put the following code.

[my_battery, (getPosASL target_vehicle), ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0, 15]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

5. Put yourself down as a soldier and make sure it is the player.

Preview your mission, wait a few seconds to make sure your artillery module is initialized then go to your radio menu and go call the Alpha radio action (easy way is to use the top numbers and type 0-0-1). Your artillery pieces should swing towards target and unleash 15 rounds total.

You can use this as the base to start experimenting with more artillery missions and this doesn't use the stupid SOM module at all.

It wouldn't be much harder to tie it to an on map click and have it script out the fire mission with out having to use the SOM which I think is total over kill for artillery (though that provides niceties like calling shot and splash).

Its a known bug that MLRS does not work when you attach an artillery module to it. The target artillery shows up, but the actual reticule used for aiming doesn't show up, this is after an error. Perhaps, this bug has carried over to the artillery module in terms of the secop manager. Does a pure scripted artillery shot work? Does a virtual artillery piece set to MLRS work? Maybe it is the targeting algorithm that is bugged altogether? I can't say for sure, but answering those questions would help us understand what is going wrong.

MLRS scripted works fine. You can use the script above that I provided and just replace the M119 with MLRS and it will work just fine.