Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Just a fun/random topic for WIP/pimpin screenshots of whatever you are working, whether it be a small a reskin, or as big as an all new model, this way we don't always have to open a new thread.

That said, here are some guidelines for effective posting:

Post Only Your Own Work.

This thread is for artists to show off their WIP stuff and get helpful and useful comments and critiques. If you have someone else's files (and there is no IP issue), chances are it's time for that author to make his own A&M: D thread for promotion, news, and / or general comments.

Expect Critiques.

Where appropriate, the users of this thread often provide critiques. Artists can only benefit from honest and effective critiquing. Remember, these posts, even if they are gruff, are meant to help.

Comment Appropriately.

See rule §5) No Spam.

Please try and make your comment posts descriptive. Avoid comments like "LOL sweet" and "You suck". While they may be true, they offer little more than filler between actually meaningful posts. If you have an opinion on something, try to describe why.

No Addon Requests.

See rule §8) Post in the right forum.

This includes requests phrased in the form of "wil ther b an ACE version LOL?". Typically, addons that are posted in the WIP thread will have their own threads eventually. You can ask the author about future version plans at that time. Further, for random addon requests, include those in the form of "nice addon. will u also do addon x/y/z?", where addon x/y/z is your fan favourite military piece, belong in the addon request thread, not here.

No Advertizing.

This is not a thread for adverts for your mission, mod, or addon. Video adverts can be posted in the combat videography thread. Posters can be posted in the combat photography thread. You're more likely to reach the audience you're after in those threads anyways. If your media doesn't allow for effective commenting on the work in question, it is not an appropriate piece for this thread. For example: trailers, videos with dramatic cuts, and media with post processing aren't appropriate.

* * * Respect the IP of Others. * * *

See rule §20) Posting addon/mod other content without permission.

Never post shots of other peoples' work that you have altered without permission. Period.

Also, remember the rules about images:

§14) Remove image tags when quoting a post containing an image

If you quote a post that contains an image please remove the image tag so that the link is posted not the image, it helps keep the thread tidy and easier to read if the same image isn't being posted repeatedly, you need only delete one [ to stop the image from hotlinking.

§15) Do not hotlink images over 100kb (102400 bytes) in size

Do not link images over 100kb using the IMG tags to display an image in your post. If you wish to post an image larger then 100 kb feel free to post the URL instead of hotlinking.

Edited by Max Power

I see what you did there.

I'll go first. The destructible building in A2 gave me an idea a la:

cardboardbreacher.jpg

hey nice one scubaman3D! Hope it gets some texture and stuff to :)

can you blow up doors to houses in Arma 2? :D

Nice model LODU, how will you be adding the fur?

As with armed assault : with textures ;)

Mondkalb and me are working on an remake of an old squadintern map just called camping. You can go camping on chernarus with new tents, campfires, bbq, radio, hunting and other hunters/campers. And all packed in a little module.

Inventoryitem for every tent,radio etc and a bag is included^^

Here a pic Scruffy made during a test at our server:

http://img2.abload.de/img/unbenanntcov5.jpg

All models by Mondkalb and nearly all scripts by me.

Maybe we will release it... but we are not sure yet.

Edited by NeoArmageddon

Mondkalb and me are working on an remake of an old squadintern map just called camping. You can go camping on chernarus with new tents, campfires, bbq, radio, hunting and other hunters/campers. And all packed in a little module.

Inventoryitem for every tent,radio etc and a bag is included^^

Here a pic Scruffy made during a test at our server:

http://img2.abload.de/img/unbenanntcov5.jpg

All models by Mondkalb and nearly all scripts by me.

Maybe we will release it... but we are not sure yet.

Sounds like an interesting concept :)

Pretty cool, I would even run another smoothing iteration as it seems the mesh isnt very poly-intense but clean :)

This is a 1970 beetle?

It looks nice. I like the mesh flow and the way you've done it in seperate parts. I also like the fact that you've done the poles at the corners of the windows the same way I did them on the Trabi. I was worried about my flow there but it looks like it's a common solution to the rounded window silhouette problem.

It has a lot of detail so I think you could soften the recesses for the headlights with a bevel and it won't increase your pcount too much. I think also the windshield could be a little flatter. I could also be the lense you are using but the front appears to be slightly long to me. This is just the feeling I get from it. This is all, of course, assuming it's a 1970 beetle. I'm no expert on these cars.

Have fun on the interior. Haha.

...stupid car interiors :/

Pretty cool, I would even run another smoothing iteration as it seems the mesh isnt very poly-intense but clean

For what reason would you do another smoothing iteration? This is obviously the first iteration, and looks like a game model. If he does another iteration with those tris, he's going to get some funky stuff going on with his flow. He'll probably get puckering in those corners. It seems round enough for a game model, in my opinion.

Edited by Max Power

For what reason would you do another smoothing iteration? This is obviously the first iteration, and looks like a game model. If he does another iteration with those tris, he's going to get some funky stuff going on with his flow. He'll probably get puckering in those corners. It seems round enough for a game model, in my opinion.

Definitely agreed, with a normal map and textures that is gonna look good. A finished mesh isn't even halfway in a complete model. Lots of work to be done but that's a solid mesh for sure, gonna be cool to see the end result we definitely need more civi cars. Im looking into making some civ cars as well.

As for model comments (personal suggestions),

you could remove the middle line on the wheel as well as the wheel cap. Normal mapping and good texturing will round that out.

id try to work out the tris on the model, but that's just me. Its more important in organic models anyways to keep it quads but I always try to set that as a standard.

But solid model for sure :D

Edited by Provac

Hello,

I had a old model of a Vitaz© submachinegun made couple

of times ago and I thought that its time to bring it into ArmA II.

I am making the textures now but I am not sure if I am

releasing it, as it is may too undetailed for ArmA II's request of

simulation.

35057874.th.jpg

60150873.th.jpg

61093136.th.jpg

gun1j.th.jpg

65258063.th.jpg

Edited by Daman1

It seems round enough for a game model, in my opinion.

I agree. this is not important to have a model with 150000000000000 faces. a good normal map + the textures (with flowers :p ), and this car will be perfect.

super high polys models are in my opinion only for fabrics or characters, because they have complicated shapes. a vehicle or a weapon doesn't have a complicated shape.

Pretty cool, I would even run another smoothing iteration as it seems the mesh isnt very poly-intense but clean :)

Thanks SA, but im working with a poly budget and im at the half way point. :)

This is a 1970 beetle?

It looks nice. I like the mesh flow and the way you've done it in seperate parts. I also like the fact that you've done the poles at the corners of the windows the same way I did them on the Trabi. I was worried about my flow there but it looks like it's a common solution to the rounded window silhouette problem.

It has a lot of detail so I think you could soften the recesses for the headlights with a bevel and it won't increase your pcount too much. I think also the windshield could be a little flatter. I could also be the lense you are using but the front appears to be slightly long to me. This is just the feeling I get from it. This is all, of course, assuming it's a 1970 beetle. I'm no expert on these cars.

Have fun on the interior. Haha.

...stupid car interiors :/

Yeah its based on 1970 blue prints and random pictures i can find on google.

Front of the bug has been bugging the hell out of me, but its scaled to size. don't remember my mom's bug being that long. ohwell, i'll get over it.

Doing my best not to bevel much, with a poly budget of 10k i want to get as much small detail in without going overboard with a great interior. :whip:

Definitely agreed, with a normal map and textures that is gonna look good. A finished mesh isn't even halfway in a complete model. Lots of work to be done but that's a solid mesh for sure, gonna be cool to see the end result we definitely need more civi cars. Im looking into making some civ cars as well.

As for model comments (personal suggestions),

you could remove the middle line on the wheel as well as the wheel cap. Normal mapping and good texturing will round that out.

id try to work out the tris on the model, but that's just me. Its more important in organic models anyways to keep it quads but I always try to set that as a standard.

But solid model for sure :D

Agree ArmA could use more civ vehicles. however, i can't agree on removing the middle line on my wheels, aside from being a huge sucker for wheels. it helps with keeping the wheel from sinking into the ground. :)

Thanks for the comment guys, will have a update next weekend sometime.

hey nice one scubaman3D! Hope it gets some texture and stuff to :)

can you blow up doors to houses in Arma 2? :D

Sure I'll texture it and yes, A2 has destructible buildings, so theoretically, its possible that somebody will design a building with destructible doors which allow breaching charges or breaching by shotgun...HINT HINT :)

Thanks SA, but im working with a poly budget and im at the half way point. :)

Yeah its based on 1970 blue prints and random pictures i can find on google.

Front of the bug has been bugging the hell out of me, but its scaled to size. don't remember my mom's bug being that long. ohwell, i'll get over it.

A painful lesson I have learned is that most 'blueprints' you find online are really just line drawings seemingly based off of photographs. The problem is that there is perspective built in to the blueprint, which will result in a lot of distortion, especially in the front view. Because of this, the 'face' of my Trabi is larger than it should be. To put the final touches on the model, an option is to try to find a detailed photograph on some 3/4 angle and project it onto a poly plane (perpendicular to a camera or the background of a camera). You can then try to mimic the lense, angle, and distance of the camera that took the photograph in the scene. You can then work in that camera and play around with soft selection or whatever and try to massage the model to match the photograph.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Hello,

I had a old model of a Vitaz© submachinegun made couple

of times ago and I thought that its time to bring it into ArmA II.

I am making the textures now but I am not sure if I am

releasing it, as it is may too undetailed for ArmA II's request of

simulation.

Uuuuh... guy? ArmA 2's pcount for weapons is like 8k max. If that thing is under 20k, I'll eat my hat.

The model is good but if you made that model and have no idea about polycount, you must be some kind of savant. If you did make that model, I would suggest down-modelling it to get it to a reasonable level of detail before unwrapping it. The high poly version can be kept for shits, giggles, and normal maps.

Edited by Max Power

Hello back,

I originally modded a little for GRAW 2 and there were Polycounts within 10.000-20.000 for a gun

in the first person normal. The model has 17059 Polygons. Of course I did make that, i'll set my tag next time under it.

I am talking about Parallex Mapping. I've heard that in some games they requiere a very

detailed model (above 30.000+) to get a good Parallex Texture for the

low poly version of the model.

Since this model has 17059 Polygons and I've not tryed Parallex Mapping out yet, I wanted

to share my doubts

I see. Well, it looks like I'm eating my hat 17 is less than 20 :/

This post makes what you're referring to much more clear! The only thing you can really do is try it out or continue upmodelling it. 30k is a nice figure but it depends on what you're talking about, really. This weapon you have seems like it has a lot of detail on it already and while the screws aren't the roundest, are you going to be able to tell? Is the resolution of the cone map going to be enough to show that? I think I would complete the model, get all of the hard/soft edges sorted and bevel everything you need to. I think that bevelling all of your hard edges will put you closer to 30k easily.

Alright, thanks a lot for your advice, thats

a lot appreciated, I will keep you in mind and

come back at you by time.

In ArmA the weapon with the highest tri count was M16A4 + ACOG & M203 with ~8800 tris in View Pilot lod and ~5500 in 1st lod. I wouldn't recommend using polygons to measure model detail as tris are what really matters. So 10 000 is probably the maximum one should aim when making weapon models for ArmA/ArmA2.

I recommend making the standard weapon with max 6000 tris for View Pilot to leave room for optics and other gizmos :).

10k tris is more like a guideline than a rule. I've gone over that number many times for weapon models and haven't had any trouble, nor complaints from end users.

Daman1, just try to keep the base weapon model all on 1 UV map (i.e. 1 section/draw call). If you have lots of accessories - try to get them all on 1 texture too.

My hard rule is less than 13k tris and minimal sections.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:44 PM ----------

Here's something else I'm working on. Anybody want to pick it up from here? I'd be happy to donate the model.

mac10.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Here's another that I'll donate: Lee Enfield. (As you can see...I have a tendency to start, but not finish projects :) )

preview1k.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Valdada 3x scope also up for grabs:

valdadaqrts3x.jpg

Edited by scubaman3D

You guys do all you modeling in o2 or you use some other tools sometimes? :)

Nice stuff there Scubaman3d!

I hope I can get into doing modeling for Arma 2 too sometime :)

You guys do all you modeling in o2 or you use some other tools sometimes? :)

Nice stuff there Scubaman3d!

I hope I can get into doing modeling for Arma 2 too sometime :)

I do alot of my modeling in O2 (unfortunately) though I'm learning Modo.