Sign in to follow this  
TangoRomeo

Tracked Vehicles Audio mod [wip]

A sound replacement i´m working on. If all goes according to plan this is going to have several standalone modules for tracked and wheeled vehicles, aircraft and watercraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_BDFVFFdA

Still needs some fine-tuning, but getting there.

Thoughts?

No thoughts other then Holy crap every tank sounds like its real counterpart in just about every aspect!

Loved how the vehicles had engine idle sounds, eagerly looking forward to this release, it's nice to see someone giving armored vehicles a makeover rather then only weaponry.

Is there any chance you would think of making a wheeled vehicle sound pack after the tracked vehicles?

Edited by NodUnit

Sounds damn nice!! Usually im sceptic about these sound mods, they allways seem to be "overdone". This sounds freaking awesome though. :bounce3:

Thanks alot! :)

Really trying hard to approach the audio ambience of what it's like to drive in one of those vehicles, or observe one from the outside.

It´s somewhat difficult, as i never drove any RU or US armored vehicle, nor do i have the possibility to do some field recording on them. Sighting dozens of videos for usable source material, processing it, and trying to get it all together via the config.cpp seems to be alot more work than i originally anticipated. :D

Especially the config gives me a headache and consumes most of the time. I guess there's no tutorial available yet on possible sound paramters and their description? So trial&error for now :confused:

Fantastic sounds here, you can almost feel the vibrations!

Also the presentation was very nicely done, keep up your good work, Tango :)

I guess there's no tutorial available yet on possible sound paramters and their description? So trial&error for now :confused:

pm me or asking here if u have any questions

Yepp, it's quite annoying in real life. Inside a tank it's extremly noisy, the M1 has been meassured with sound levels from 93 dB Tac. idle to 117 dB, when travelling at 40 mpH, that's louder than a chainsaw, or jackhammer. Crews are required to wear hearing protection, either sufficently integrated into their helmets, or additional earplugs. The whine you hear is radiating from hydraulic pumps operating the turret.

If you have an AI crewmember manning the gunner station, there will always be "the annoying sound" :D, as it is turning the turret constantly while you maneuver the vehicle. I can't find seperate settings for volume regarding Commander/Gunner and Driver stations, but i can of course turn it down, if it's too annoying.

@nikita320106,

thanks for your offer :)

Going to post a couple of Q`s later.

Nah leave it as is otherwise we won't hear it outside, I'm sure there is some setting to lower the volume inside similar to air units.

Will you also by chance by adding the tread squeeking?

Man I don't know which I'm more excited about--eventually getting Arma 2 itself when it comes to the states or getting my hands on this when it's finished. Let's call it a huge tie in excitement. :D By far the best vehicle sounds period I've ever heard in a long time, man. Keep it up!

@ Betsalel,

thanks man, but it's just an audio mod :D Hope NonWonderDog ports over his Ballistics and FCS mod to ArmA². This would be the level of immersion i hope for regarding armor deployment.

@NodUnit,

i have some squeeking on the treads currently, it's mixed in the tread sample itself. It´s not that prominent. However, if possible i would like to make the squeeking a seperate sound entry in the .cpp. So while driving, there would be samples playing for tread-surface interaction, engine, acceleration, noise during rough maneuvering/ cross country, and tread squeeking.

@nikita320106,

i need help with the config.

soundEngineOnExt[] = {"\TRSM_Tracked_Vehicles\Antrieb\MBT-Turbine-Ext-Engine_on.ogg", 1.0, 1.0, 400};

My take is the first value (1.0) standing for loudness, also relative to other sounds playing at the same time.

Q: What is the base reference, 0dB, or a certain sample entry?

The second value (1.0) should be pitch.

The third (400), audible distance.

============================================================

limit = 0.15;

Don't know what this is?

expression = "engineOn*camPos*2*gmeterZ*((speed factor[1.5, 5]) min (speed factor[5, 1.5]))";

Speculation here. "engineOn" used as based reference for loudness, the first value, speed factor (1.5), transition time, the second one (5) loudness?

min= minus / min= minimum?

==========================================================

cone[] = {1.2, 2.8, 1.8, 1.3};

?

Thank you in advance. If it's of some help, i can also send you over the .cpp.

@nikita320106,

i need help with the config.

soundEngineOnExt[] = {"\TRSM_Tracked_Vehicles\Antrieb\MBT-Turbine-Ext-Engine_on.ogg", 1.0, 1.0, 400};

My take is the first value (1.0) standing for loudness, also relative to other sounds playing at the same time.

Q: What is the base reference, 0dB, or a certain sample entry?

The second value (1.0) should be pitch.

The third (400), audible distance.

limit = 0.15;

Don't know what this is?

expression = "engineOn*camPos*2*gmeterZ*((speed factor[1.5, 5]) min (speed factor[5, 1.5]))";

Speculation here. "engineOn" used as based reference for loudness, the first value, speed factor (1.5), transition time, the second one (5) loudness?

min= minus / min= minimum?

cone[] = {1.2, 2.8, 1.8, 1.3};

?

Thank you in advance. If it's of some help, i can also send you over the .cpp.

sorry for late answer

unfortunately I did not see all of these parameters in arma1 therefore I only guess

so/ first 1.0 it is an index an increasing level of a sound from 100 percents of yours sample

two semples with a different level of normalization but with specified db0(or 1.0) will sound variously///// above db+xxx(1.xxx) that hears a sound further

second is a pitch

third is, i believe, is diameter, that is on radius 201 sources of a sound will not be audible

next with "limit" no idea(( sorry

in expression = "engineOn*camPos*2*gmeterZ*((speed factor[1.5, 5]) min (speed factor[5, 1.5]))";

i believe sped factor is limits from min-1,5 to max -5 veh speed and "min" just turns back

"cone" i think is from Doppler's parameters effect

===================================

sorry for offer to answer any question

It was too mach self-confident))

Hey,

no problem. :) Thanks for trying to help!

The issue was specifically tracks being too low in volume in higher gears, because it was getting completely overpowered by engine noise. Think i solved it now by excluding the min speed factor. I still don't have the results i desire, not least because ArmA² adds a quite noticeable reverberation effect.

in 1arma i used "enviroment_sound"(mine own sound sample with very_very low pitch-but in game pith changed from veh speed) for tracks or low frequency main rotor sound.... just try

if make db+xxx for enviroment_sound lower then engine_sound(regular speed engine noise sample) and with low pitch about 0.5-0.7 you can catch very realistic and very low bass effect when veh passing

I´ll give it try, using a single sample for tracks would be more economic too. By default, MBT/IFV/APC`s have 10 samples assigned to their tracks; 5 speed-, and 2 surface states.

awesome soundmod man, this + the chopper sound mod will make the game much more immersive :)

I don't think it's annoying at all btw, if that's how it is in real life, then that's how it is!

.., if that's how it is in real life, then that's how it is!

I have to agree. If in real life the sound is exactly the same, leave it as it is.. the core fans are looking for realism. At least i am even if it is annoying.

Your doing a great job! Keep it up. ;)