VF FPS Saver (VFFPSS)

Download link: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/vffpss

Victor Farbau's FPS Saver

== Revision History ==

Build 64 (Bugfix release)

- Removed L2 debug message in non-debug mode

- Corrected L2 handling and execution

Build 60

- Introduced usage of parameter file \Userconfig\VF\VFFPSS.hpp to pre-set some values

- Introduced Level 2 measures (default OFF, only activated through VFFPSS.hpp)

Build 48

- New config as suggested by Armatech -> Control Panel now can be called from the ESC menu screen instead of action menu

- Control Panel will show up quicker now

Build 46

- Lowered TerrainGrid Value @ low settings

- Added more latency to increasing TerrainGrid

- Added exit option to control panel - will terminate VFFPSS until control panel is called again

- Added error handling in user control panel

Build 043

- Increased reaction time, addon version

- Addon version

- Built in control panel to set custom values

Build 032

- Added airborne detection; when in airborne (plane, chopper, chute) script is paused and viewdistance is fixed

- Changed terraindetail to just LO and HI setting. Gradual stepping caused too much stuttering

- Added vehicle function; when in vehicle and engine is running LO terraindetail will be assumed

WHAT IS IT?

VFFPSS is an addon that automatically reduces the visual quality during gameplay to gain more FPS. The adjustment happens dynamically and will be reversed once sufficient FPS are being detected. It is yourself who sets the appropriate threshholds for these adjustments. Press ESC during the game and call the VFPSS Dialog by pressing the related button top left.

Also, you need to place the provided "VFFPSS.hpp" configuation file into a "Userconfig\VF" directory structure in your Arma II root directory.

It should look like this (example path):

+---Games

|..... \Armed Assault II (This is your game "root" folder, the name may vary)

|.......... \Userconfig

|............... \VF

|.................... VFFPSS.hpp

The file contains the default settings used by VFFPSS. If the addon does not find the file for any reason you will see an error message; however you can continue to play. VFFPSS will configure itself with some default values which you can still change in the control panel. But using the config file method is a hell lot more convenient obviously.

There are two levels of quality:

Level 1: Decrease viewdistance and terrain quality

Level 2: Decrease terrain quality further so that all grass will disappear; delete all nearby dead bodies

Level 2 is disabled by default. You can only enable it through the config file. The options in that file are documented and should be self-explanatory.

TRY YOUR OWN SETTINGS.

You can try your own settings through the control panel and later add the desired values to the VFFPSS.hpp file for automatic use. Advice: don't set minFPS and maxFPS too close; if you do you will witness constant switching of viewdistance and terrain quality. That can get very annoying. So make sure you really only decrease when FPS reach an unacceptable limit and increase when you don't really need this rate to play.

Have fun,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau
Update

Definitely an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing this evolve. A2 runs beautifully on my machine but I'm always a whore for more FPS.

Thanks.

A2 runs beautifully on my machine

Yeah, that's what I thought, too :) And then I played a mission with lots of people and vehicles in Elektrozavodsk and it started raining and I looked through my scope... there went my fps (down to 12 at times).

My machines is a 4gb Q6600@2.6ghz + ATI 4850 all running under Win7rc. Not exactly a killer machine. But hey, why run to the store when I can write my own script to adapt quality :D More money left for the family.

Edit: Also, what doesn't add to performance is my 24" Full HD panel; playing in 1920x1080 is a bit more demanding compared to the many 17" and 19" out there still.

BTW - I read about this "Dynamic Viewdistance" addon the other day which made me look at the options in Arma 2. Looks like the author pulled it from all sites and disappeared. Shame, I really wanted to check out his fps measurement.

Anyway, I think it's awesome that BIS added this function to the script commands. Based on this your missions could decide to send / not send more units into the battle while maintaining performance and much more.

Back to playing now; since I got my copy I am somehow stuck in the Editor. Haven't touched the campaign yet.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Hey Victor, that dynamic viewdistance thingy, I think I got it somewhere. Let me know via PM if you wish me to email it to you or something.

Sounds very interesting. Give him a try

Put it on our addon section at Assault Mission Studio

dlicon.gif

VF FPS Saver (VFFPSS) [0.5 beta]

Edited by Imutep

Definitely an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing this evolve. A2 runs beautifully on my machine but I'm always a whore for more FPS.

Thanks.

what's your PC specs

Great idea, but the lag spike from view distance changes is too high to have true FPS dependant dynamic view distance, been playing with it myself last few days as well.

Again the same for terrain grid.

@Rommel, I agree with the terraingrid switches, those cause a ~1sec lag which is annoying. I was refining the code to be less agressive there and only switch between 2 (lo-hi) levels and not incremental anymore.

The viewdistance didn't cause much trouble here so far. But as said, refining the code now. Since I need this myself I am not yet letting go of the concept :) Just need to implement some smart ideas here.

VictorFarbau

hmmm, a possible idea would be to connect detail level and viewrange to speed.

When I'm flying at high speed I don't need detailed textures but viewdistance is more important.

just to add some complexity :p

QuietMan

Funny that you came to mention that. I just happened to upload a new version that includes a viewdistance fix when airborne.

Don't argue about the values :) As mentioned it's all experimental now and I will implement a way for players to set their own prefs. A learning mode would be nice, too.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Yep flying i noticed like in ArmA1 gives a lot of FPS boost so lowering complexity and raise the VD when up in the skies would be awesome i think.

lowering complexity and raise the VD when up in the skies

This is already part of build 032. But there's room for more improvement. Next thing on my agenda is to add a control panel to allow setting of some custom values. Oddly enough I am having trouble with adding a user action through the config.cpp. What worked fine in Arma 1 doesn't seem to work in Arma 2 for some reason.

And I don't see much point in posting this in the editing forum in its current state. I see some more trial and error coding ahead :rolleyes:

VictorFarbau

I think there is a confilt with this mod and the 505 English Version of ArmA II released today. (19/06/08) which I've just got.

The conflict messes up the Radio Commands.

Nice Addon VF, if anyone is interested in getting this implemented per default to the game and is too impatient to wait for the upcoming version by VF then:

- Unpbo 'Bin.pbo' by using kegetys tool.

- Unwrap the 'config.bin' to get a 'config.cpp' and open it.

- find :

startupScript = ""

; and replace it by:

startupScript = "vffpssdummy =[] spawn compile preprocessFile ('\VFFPSS\VFFPSS.sqf');";

- Then convert the bin folder to a .pbo

Regards,

TB

@Thunderbird, thanks, nice idea! Very handy to know. Is this "startUpscript" a new line item in Arma 2? Never noticed that consciously. Maybe because I am a strong believer in XEH :)

So I had put aside my current work to wait for Arma 2 XEH. While the waiting continues for VFAI (hit and init handlers for class man required) this VFFPSS would be a perfect candidate for your method. I'll pick my latest rev and try your advice. If successful I'd be happy to make it available to everyone interested (via DeveloperHeaven, that is).

EDIT: doh, I think I just got it. So "startUpscript" is unique to bin.pbo? Apparently I can't use it in my custom config. Then I need to look for another smart way to start the script automatically w/o updating the base class again...

Thanks,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Nice Addon VF, if anyone is interested in getting this implemented per default to the game and is too impatient to wait for the upcoming version by VF then:

- Unpbo 'Bin.pbo' by using kegetys tool.

- Unwrap the 'config.bin' to get a 'config.cpp' and open it.

- find :

startupScript = ""

; and replace it by:

startupScript = "vffpssdummy =[] spawn compile preprocessFile ('\VFFPSS\VFFPSS.sqf');";

- Then convert the bin folder to a .pbo

Regards,

TB

People should be warned that altering any ArmA 2 pbo files may cause troubles at Multiplayer, if not now then in the near future (Anticheat, signature check)

If you want to use the described way, create a modfolder, in there create a folder named "Dta" and then copy the original bin.pbo in there. With this copy you can work as described and by loading this modfolder, this change of the bin.pbo should become active.

Again, do not mess with original ArmA 2 files.

class RscDisplayEmpty;
class RscDisplayMission : RscDisplayEmpty {
 onLoad="vffpssdummy =[] spawn compile preprocessFile ('\VFFPSS\VFFPSS.sqf');";
};

That's another way do to it, of course it could also lead to conflicts with other mods using the same method.

I think I found an acceptable way to do this; new, improved version available in 1st post. Bug reports and comments welcome. For me this works rather ok already.

Thanks,

VictorFarbau

Is it possible to make it turn off the grass? I tryed it but i was not happy abt running arround with a 60m grass circle arround me :S

Mirror updated at Assault Mission Studio

dlicon.gif

VF FPS Saver (VFFPSS) [build 043] by VictorFarbau

This thing is amazing! I can't see down the street but 6-7 blocks but I got 50 FPS, :slayer8:

Indeed, this Addon is simply outstanding as it does figure out the FPS issue, but unfortunately, many people seem to miss it.

Regards,

TB