Sign in to follow this  
Z-Nine

Ambient Civilian/Civilian Vehicles

Hey there, I was wondering, after fooling around in the editor a bit, if it was possible to edit the module settings a bit to make more civilians and have it so the civilian vehicle module has actual driving vehicles as well as parked ones. I did browse through these forums before posting this, but I had no luck finding anything. Help would be very appreciated!

I was just wondering the same thing. Not just for Civilians but for stuff like airstrikes(amount available, vehicle used for the strike, etc.) and transport, artillery, etc. There's gotta be an easy way to tweak the modules settings but I ain't smart enough to figure it out.... yet.

Damn, these module things seem pretty damn nice to have. I just gotta get familiar with the setup and such.

Did anyone find out what command should be added in the init field of the Ambient Civilian Module in order to increase the population?

I checked the Wiki about ALICE but i can't make much of it, since i'm no expert in editing. I'd appreciate some help too.

Thanks!

I think that you have to play with the civilianCount variable on the Ambient Civ module.

//--- Civilian count
_civilianCount = if (isnil {_logic getvariable "civilianCount"}) then {"round (2 * (sqrt %1))"} else {_logic getvariable "civilianCount";};
_logic setvariable ["civilianCount",_civilianCount,true];

would give something like:

this setVariable ["civilianCount",10];

Also the main problem you'll meet using the Init part is that you cannot interact on the spawned civilian itself.

Edited by Benny.

civilianCount variable have to be type of string, not number. It's formula which serves for calculating number of civilians depending on number of houses.

More info on Biki:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians#Optional_parameters

civilianCount = <string>; - formula on which basis system calculates number of civilians for locations. %1 is number of buildings with door (memory points called "AIDoor1", "AIDoor2", ...) in 500 metres from location.

Example: BIS_alice_mainscope setvariable ["civilianCount","round (%1 / 10)"];

Default value (and recommended): "round (2 * (sqrt %1))"

So if you use default value and system find 100 houses in area, formule will be "round (2 * (sqrt 100))" = "round (2 * 10)" = 20

If you don't want to set precise number of civilians no matter how large town is, you can set it in string:

this setVariable ["civilianCount","10"];

civilianCount variable have to be type of string, not number. It's formula which serves for calculating number of civilians depending on number of houses.

More info on Biki:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians#Optional_parameters

So if you use default value and system find 100 houses in area, formule will be "round (2 * (sqrt 100))" = "round (2 * 10)" = 20

If you don't want to set precise number of civilians no matter how large town is, you can set it in string:

this setVariable ["civilianCount","10"];

In the link you posted it says to go into F1>Units>Game Logic>Modules>Ambient Life, however i only have the option to place a object or a location. So mine goes like this, F1>Units>Game Logic>Locations or Objects, no modules.

In the link you posted it says to go into F1>Units>Game Logic>Modules>Ambient Life, however i only have the option to place a object or a location. So mine goes like this, F1>Units>Game Logic>Locations or Objects, no modules.

After 1.02 modules were moved to F7.

@ NuclearDruid: With the civilian vehicles module the civs do get in and drive the vehicles on occasion. I have seen this a few times but it is quite rare.

right now I am making a mission, but I would like to see 50-100 people around me at one time (in the major cities). is this posible with the ambeint civ script?

how do you use the optional parameters? do you put it in external script or you can use the init line?

is there a way to make the civilians start out with a negitive setting so that everyone will see them as an enemy?

[bis_loc_acityc_kozlovka,"ALICE_civilianinit",[{_this addRating -10000}]] call bis_fnc_variablespaceadd;

Never really tried it before. According to biki it shall be like that.

i added thes modules but not much happens, i see some civilians and parked cars but no one driving and civilians are so few and sometimes i see no one, Ambient Combat not working for me, i dont know why should it work after certain time or what i dont know

Did anyone figure this out yet? I saw this in the wiki about ALICE:

* civilianRarity = <array>; - Changing civilian rarity numbers (e.g. to have villagers spawned in cities, or to disable spawning of given class completely with unusual number like 10). Default rarity numbers are set in config under rarityUrban value (in range from 0/village to 1/city)

Example: BIS_alice_mainscope setvariable ["vehicleRarity",["Citizen1",10,"Worker2",0.8]];

Default value: []

In the example it says vehicleRarity, but the paragraph is about civilianRarity so I'm not sure if it's a typo? I don't find any driving civilians atleast and I would like tons of civilians, both pedestrians and vehicles.

Also, setting the count with e.g "10" doesn't seem to work. This is what I have in the init-field of the Ambient Civilians module;

BIS_alice_mainscope setVariable ["civilianCount","100"]; BIS_loc_acityc_kozlovka setVariable ["ALICE_populationCoef",1];

(The last one is to get them out of the houses.)

I see no civilians at all...

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Edit: Ok this is weird, it works in smaller villages like e.g. Gorka. They're all in wild panic though, probably because someone spawned dead. It doesn't work in the bigger cities though, they are empty. Any idea why?

After further testing, I see that it works in bigger town. I sat the number to 250 to really make an impact. When I go into Cherno, it takes a few minutes and then suddenly people pour out the doors. For whatever reason, people die in doors and I guess inside the building as well and the those who did make it outside panics. Some run most crouch and a few lay down. And they stay like this. I guess new people spawn inside the building to replace the dead ones and then die again in an endless loop, or the module just dies cause no more people are coming out the doors and there's perhaps 20-30 people outside (crouching or laying down).

I sat down (I was a civilian as well) and 4x'ed for a few hours of gametime and nothing happend.

Sorry but I couldn't figure this one out: how do you make that more civilians get into cars and drive around to other towns?

The civilian ambient traffic module does not exist (yet). I think to achieve what you are looking for (and it is on my "to do" list), you need to set the init line of each civilian to see if there is an empty/unlocked vehicle nearby. If there is, have it enter the vehicle and set a waypoint for a nearby town.

The less-than-adequately-documented dynamic route module would be helpful here, too. However, using the location function, you can get a position for the center of the city, and manage it that way.

To make a long answer shorter, yes, there is away, but it involves some moderate scripting.

When I place a civilian module I get this in my Arma2.rpt

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female01\ru\report\movementto.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female01\ru\numbers\one2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\report\movementto.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\one2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\report\movementto.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\one2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\ten2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\four2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\six2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\seven2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\eight2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\nine2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\ten2.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\disembark.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\nastoupit.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\nastoupit.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\zero.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\three.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\two.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\zero.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\ru\numbers\seven.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Can someone give me info how to add "village/town" points for this module to a new map? On my map civilians won't appear, so I guess its connected:

- using closed buildings so civs appear at doors?

- setting specific markers to the visitor map?

Any help appreciated, I hate ghost towns.

IceBreakr - you may want to post (if you haven't already) in the Visitor section? I believe that is the app used to do map/terrain stuff.

Having said that, within the cfgWorlds, there are different classes set up like this:

class ACityC_Chernogorsk
  {
   name = "";
   position[] = {6735.83,2626.6};
   type = "CityCenter";
   neighbors[] = {"ACityC_Prigorodki","ACityC_Balota","ACityC_Nadezhdino","ACityC_Mogilevka"};
   demography[] = {"CIV",1,"CIV_RU",0};
   radiusA = 100;
   radiusB = 100;
   angle = 0;
  };

That defines some variables used by the location functions, which I believe are then used in the modules. That's pure speculation on my part, though. :)

On an unrelated note, I'm working on getting the Ambient Civilian Traffic module MP-compliant. I just want to confirm (as I don't do much MP) that an ALICE module run solely on the server will generate civs for everyone in the mission? I'm figuring that, as long as my module runs only on the server, it should then create the civs and vehicles for all machines.

TIA.

Another question has come up.

In the ambient civilian vehicle module wiki:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilian_Vehicles

It generally refers to SILVIE as the module. But, at the bottom, when talking about some mainscope variables, it refers to:

Cars

* ALICE_id = <number> - identification number of vehicle.

* ALICE_obj = <object> - object on which vehicle was created (can be object or road).

* ALICE_twn = <location> - town where vehicle was created.

Now, ALICE is the module/mainscope for civilians:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians

So, it appears that, at some level, they overlap, or share the ALICE mainscope. But, those parameters, and I'm particularly interested in the ALICE_twn, aren't listed in the ALICE wiki entry.

Does anyone else have any information on this? Particularly on the interaction between the SILVIE system and ALICE mainscope.

I'm trying to understand the formula's a bit more.

vehicleCount = <string>; - formula on which basis system calculates number of vehicles for location. %1 is number of buildings (blacklisted objects are excluded) in 500 metres from location.

Example: BIS_silvie_mainscope setvariable ["vehicleCount","round (%1 / 10)"];

Default value (and recommended): "round ((sqrt %1) * 1.5)"

For using the default value, is it written like this?

BIS_silvie_mainscope setvariable ["round ((sqrt %1) * 1.5)"

and if I wanted double the normal citizens or vehicles would it be written like this?

BIS_silvie_mainscope setvariable ["round ((sqrt %1) * 3)"

Yes, that would roughly double the number of possible civs (depending on the rounding). :)