Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

tir5_a2_post_header.jpg

It is my distinct pleasure to present the brand-spankin'-new TrackIR5, as seen in ArmA2. Have a look at the video (please watch it in HD! ;) )

Direct download available here.

A brief summary is that TIR5 + ArmA2 is frickin' sweet, and I'm really excited to be showing it off in such a capacity. Thanks to both NaturalPoint and Bohemia Interactive for the opportunity.

The TIR5 has a number of neat improvements over prior models, as detailed to a degree in the video, and in further detail below. On top of that you have a number of welcome changes to A2 to better support the TIRs in it, and then of course we have A2 itself being shown off in wonderful 1280x720 HD for anyone who would like to see it in action. Both A2 and TIR5 are really slick packages, and I think that both will be well-received by the community.

The by-the-book stats of TIR5 are as follows:

Hardware Specs

- Raw Sensor Resolution: 640 x 480, reporting resolution 96,000 x 72,000

- Resolution/Horizontal Degree: 1850 subpixels/degree

- Sample Rate: 120 fps

- Field of View: 51.7°

- Size (w/o base): 2†x 1.5†x 0.57†/ 1.8oz / 6' cable

- Response Time: 9 ms

- Connection: USB

Features

- Precision Grayscale for improved image processing and 10X effective resolution

- Spurious Marker Rejection for improved ambient light filtering

- Wider Field of View for more trackable real estate

- Magnetic Base and USB Cable Anchor for reduced damage from wear and tear

- Hyper fast 120 FPS Sample Rate for most accurate tracking data

- Adjustable LED Brightness

You can find out more about the TIR5 (hopefully after you've seen the video) at this link. If you plan on grabbing one, feel free to use either of my referrals - normal TrackIR5 ($5 off), or TrackIR5 & Track Clip Pro ($20 off).

As long as you're here, I'd like to take this opportunity to say a bit about ArmA2 beyond what is shown in the video, and this seems like a good place to do it. Many people in the past have expressed some concern about the movement model of A1, to various degrees of severity. Personally, I have been frustrated by some aspects of the A1 movement model, and was hoping it would get a good deal of attention in A2, to bring it more in-line with the movement fluidity of your typical 'modern' game, while still retaining the 'flavor' of OFP/ArmA.

For those of you who have worried about such things as well in A2, let me share a little anecdote with you. In testing the A2 multiplayer in adversarial (and coop of course, but it is most noticed against humans), with a skilled set of testers, I have heard time and time again (and remarked the same myself) as to how much more fun A2 is over A1 thanks to the improvements they've made in character movement. We've played everything from basic deathmatch and team deathmatch, up to all sorts of mission-oriented adversarial stuff. Situations that I normally would not find enjoyable in A1 (example: basic deathmatch) have found new life with the A2 movements. This is not to say that A2 offers flawless movement - it doesn't, at least not yet at a pre-release state. Hopefully that will be the case in the retail release - suggestions are still being made on how to improve the movement, and changes continue to happen. With that in mind, what they have changed up to this point has had a really positive influence on things, and I think that those of you who were turned off by aspects of the A1 movement model will find the A2 changes to be very welcome and fun to work with. It definitely feels like the best movement model in a BIS game to date to me, and I have heard it echoed many times in MP testing.

To note - I do not consider myself to be the type of player who enjoys 'deathmatch' in A1. In A2, though - it's a truly suprising amount of fun. It is much rarer to feel that you have died "because of the movement model". I've had dozens of situations where I was able to take fire and maneuver away at relatively close ranges in what felt like a very agile and human manner.

Anyhow. Wanted to get that out there, since I know it is a point of stress for some of you. While it still has an OFP/ArmA 'feel' to it, there are so many positive changes to it that I really do think it is the best they've put out so far, and will be a greatly appreciated aspect of the game by the community.

Now, to tie that back into the subject at hand - take that improved movement and tie it in with the extremely responsive TrackIR support in ArmA2, combined with a TrackIR5, as well as the fantastic visuals and sounds of A2, and it's one hell of an immersive experience. I am really hyped to see this game get released.

Hope you guys enjoy(ed) the video. Thanks again to NaturalPoint and Bohemia Interactive for letting me put that out there.

For Sale:

1 used TrackIR4 Pro Bundle.

Haha. ;)

For those of you who were wondering what my system specs are, they are as follows:

Quad core @ 2.66GHz

Geforce 285

All of that footage was captured via Fraps at fullscale 1280x720 res with good settings. Ran very well, as you can see. I wish I could say something about performance with other cards/systems, but this is all I have. Please understand if I can't sit down and give you details on how A2 will run for you. :)

I've always underestimated the value of Track IR in an infantry game, but you may well have just sold it for me.

Thank you for the analysis (and for showing the action menu in the Hind - opening cargo doors, interesting ;)).

so there will be no 6DOF support in ArmA2? damn

another question, i have got a TIR 4 for about a year or so, and i dont think i can afort another one for quite some time, i just wonder if the softward is TIR5 only or is it downward supported?

Haha. ;)

For those of you who were wondering what my system specs are, they are as follows:

Quad core @ 2.66GHz

Geforce 285

All of that footage was captured via Fraps at fullscale 1280x720 res with good settings. Ran very well, as you can see. I wish I could say something about performance with other cards/systems, but this is all I have. Please understand if I can't sit down and give you details on how A2 will run for you. :)

My hd4870 and E8400 3.2ghz should be pretty close to your system assuming ddr5 is properly utilized. Probably 8-10fps slower.

thanks for the info... I noticed Natural Point have now added this product to their web site. Still, they have not filled out the comparison info between trackir 4 and 5. I will wait for this to see if it worth updating.

Pretty awesome demonstration of both products, even tho I doubt I'll be using TIR due to it's price, it's nice to see how much A1 > A2 has improved in the TIR implementation department, as A1 seems to have distinct delay in your A1 TIR demonstrations, which I can't notice in A2.

so there will be no 6DOF support in ArmA2? damn

Nope. It would be nice, I agree, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. Perhaps next time. For now, though, the things that have changed re: A2 (responsiveness in particular) really do make up for it.

another question, i have got a TIR 4 for about a year or so, and i dont think i can afort another one for quite some time, i just wonder if the softward is TIR5 only or is it downward supported?

Yes, the software will work with (afaik) TIR 3 + Vector or TIR4.

awesome video, finally some decent ArmA2 ingame footage! Really looking forward to the new software updates for TIR as well.

Nope. It would be nice, I agree, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. Perhaps next time. For now, though, the things that have changed re: A2 (responsiveness in particular) really do make up for it.

Yes, the software will work with (afaik) TIR 3 + Vector or TIR4.

nice to hear with it, thx for the answer:cool:

as A1 seems to have distinct delay in your A1 TIR demonstrations, which I can't notice in A2.

hmm, I do not have any sort of a delay. I actually thought his delay in the video was just YouTube.

Refering to TrackIR 4 of course.

Damn the game looks good.

Guess I have to get TrackIR.

hmm, I do not have any sort of a delay. I actually thought his delay in the video was just YouTube.

Refering to TrackIR 4 of course.

Some of the 'delay' in my TIR4 videos was probably due to the profile I used back then. As far as TIR delay in A1 - it's not easy to notice if you mainly play A1. I was oblivious to it myself until sometime last year when I went to play IL-2 again. The snappy responses I got in that were completely different from A1. The issues that caused the funny response in A1 were identified somewhere around that time and ultimately fixed in A2, and you will definitely notice it.

I am truly stunned. Thank you for being so slick and getting yourself a pre-release copy to show off for us (god knows some other previewers are guilty of terrible publications).

Once I scrounge up some money, perhaps I will see you all on the battlefield with the ability to look around without taking away my ability to aim!

Great job, I am in awe at what BI, and the team behind TrackIR have been able to accomplish at this point.:yay::bounce3::):D

Emote spam over.

You could need a shave as much as i do:D

Hey D don´t they offer paypal or bankwire? I was thinking about to buy one but the only option seems to be creditcard.

Nice video by the way.:yay:

just reflashing TIR site and i find softward version 5.0 BETA, downloading now :)

Very nice video I must say, and TrackIR deffinatly is one hell of a cool product... but at $185, I have to side with Sniperwolf572 as I too will not be buying a setup because of the price. Its simply too expensive for what it offers IMO, and is not worth it unless your going to dedicate a compulsive amount of time to ArmA2... and even then I don't think its worth it. If the price ever gets down around $50, I would deffinatly get one tho.

But again, thanks for the great video.

Some of the 'delay' in my TIR4 videos was probably due to the profile I used back then. As far as TIR delay in A1 - it's not easy to notice if you mainly play A1. I was oblivious to it myself until sometime last year when I went to play IL-2 again. The snappy responses I got in that were completely different from A1. The issues that caused the funny response in A1 were identified somewhere around that time and ultimately fixed in A2, and you will definitely notice it.

1st thing I did with 4, was to delete all the profiles and create my own.

Unless ya wana send me your A2, I will just have to wait and see myself in......

Very nice video I must say, and TrackIR deffinatly is one hell of a cool product... but at $185, I have to side with Sniperwolf572 as I too will not be buying a setup because of the price. Its simply too expensive for what it offers IMO, and is not worth it unless your going to dedicate a compulsive amount of time to ArmA2... and even then I don't think its worth it. If the price ever gets down around $50, I would deffinatly get one tho.

But again, thanks for the great video.

I don't really agree with that, but of course I would say that. :)

It's $145 or $165 depending on how you do it (assuming you use the referral codes of mine), btw.

As far as the value goes - if you play ArmA a fair amount, or play other supported games (ie flight, driving sims), I think it quickly becomes a good value. It adds so much to the experience. I could never go back to playing ArmA or A2 without it. The best example of that I could give would be back in 2007 when ShackTac would still fire up OFP/WGL from time to time to get some nostalgic gaming in. Every single time we did that, I (and other TIR users) would find myself twitching my head to try to turn my view, even though I consciously knew that OFP didn't support such functionality. I think that's a really good example of how natural and second-nature they become.

I find myself constantly wishing various games had TrackIR support - Project Reality comes to mind, same with Raven Shield (TrackIR fluid stance? That would be incredible). When games that do have it come out (ie: Black Shark), I always get a kick out of seeing what all they have. Black Shark has the full 6DOF, by example, and it's killer to see what that adds to the experience.

Anyhow. I think it's worth it. No surprise there. :)

It's too bad people can't try these out locally to get a feel for what they add to the experience. I bet that'd help clear out some of the doubts some people have about the tech.

I stand corrected after watching the video... I will try and get a trackir5 asap... thx for your time Dslyecxi..

on a side note, I hope the hud is adjustable... looks a tad bright to pick targets.. Or maybe it is just the recording..

now, how long until it hits the shores of Australia...emailing distributors now.. :)

Edited by gonk

Is the TrackClip Pro 4 compatible with 5?

That would save a few $$$

Yep, I'm using my "old" TrackClip Pro.

Quad core @ 2.66GHz

Geforce 285

^^ That just made my day. I was worrying that Arma 2 wouldn't scale well to quad cores but rather prefer faster (>3Ghz) dual cores, effectively turning my CPU into a bottleneck. Good to see it running so smoothly on a similar system to mine. :D (see my sig)

As for the TIR5, I was actually sold after watching that vid and wanted to go ahead and order one... only problem is, shipping to Germany is an extra $50, and they seem to only take credit cards - which I don't have. Wonder if they sell them here in Germany...

Also, your info on the Arma 2 movement animations is very much appreciated. I'm sure the PvP enthusiasts among us will be thrilled. :)

Anyways, rewatching the vid, A2 specific things that I've noticed demonstrated aswell are:

- UI Scaling, bottom left unit overview thing and radio messages aren't huge as in other screens/videos.

- Different variations of eyewear, aviators, etc actually having their own 3D models instead of a defined selection as in OFP

- Some details on NV goggles, like LCD's in the helo, NV noise (best spotted in the zoomed in NV goggles in the chopper section, could be just video compression on the other hand).

- Huge command view crosshair. :P

- Formation Diamond

- I can't seem to spot the Aimpoint dot in the actuall device itself, parallax mapping worked out in the end or the face just got moved further to the front of the device?

Edited by Sniperwolf572