Sign in to follow this  
Deadfast

Sahrani - the actual size

What is the size of Sahrani?

The official number is 400km^2 (~154.4 square miles).

There is a catch in this though - this includes all the water surrounding the islands!

I wanted to know what the actual landmass area is.

So, nothing simpler then to split the map into grids, measure a "few" distances and do a little math.

saraMeasureMask.png

Yes, the mask is far from being exact, but it's still better then guessing ;)

So here is what I came up with:

Atigua: 1.2 km^2

Rahmadi: 1.9 km^2

Southern Sahrani: 34.3 km^2

Northern Sahrani: 73.4 km^2

Total: ~111 km^2 (42.9 square miles)

Perfect, pretty close to what Ivan Buchta said in the Inteview with Jerry hopper (he said ~120 km², including every single small island).

So Arma2 Landmass is almost twice ths size....

Heck! Back in the days they could´ve taught me some serious trigonometry with examples like that one :butbut: :D

Interesting. That would mean that it's not much bigger than Nogova (Wasn't an awful lot of water on that map, particularily if you exclude the river than ran through it. Chernarus suddenly seems to be all the bigger!

Heck! Back in the days they could´ve taught me some serious trigonometry with examples like that one :butbut: :D

so true man, so true! :)

It´s amazing, how motivated you are, deadfast, especially when one will look at your age, keep it the good work!

Regarding the landmass, i think they said Arma2´s map will be 200km^2, but this includes the sae too,e ven though it´s not as big as in Arma1.

Wow deadfast! Simple awesome! Thank you for this, it really cleared up some of my questions!

Actually, the landmass of ArmA II might turn out to be infinite... Now, beat that CM ! :D

Triggerometry...

so true man, so true! :)

It´s amazing, how motivated you are, deadfast, especially when one will look at your age, keep it the good work!

Regarding the landmass, i think they said Arma2´s map will be 200km^2, but this includes the sae too,e ven though it´s not as big as in Arma1.

225sqkm including sea for arma2.

225sqkm including sea for arma2.

Yes and ~200 km² only pure Landmass.....

SO what happens, if we fly to the edge of the map?

SO what happens, if we fly to the edge of the map?

ArmA2´s emergency mode kicks in and starts deleting the system partition :dance1:

srsly though, in one of the latest previews i think i´ve read there´ll be endless terrain on the edges, like in Avgani and other maps alike.

I hope they included that procedural terrain they were talking about, so there will not be infinite flat terrain like in ArmA1, but I guess everything is better than the BF2 solution.

I daresay you could get an even more accurate figure by colourising the map and counting up the number of non-water pixels, and finding what ratio that number is to the total number of pixels.

That's a really interesting image analysis idea, DMarkwick. Does photoshop or some other program have that kind of statistic, or would the counting be manual?

I suppose you could reduce the image quite a lot using the nearest neighbour algorithm and it would still be fairly accurate, however tedious.

I hope they included that procedural terrain they were talking about, so there will not be infinite flat terrain like in ArmA1, but I guess everything is better than the BF2 solution.

Which is?

I've never touch any other BF apart form the clasic '42, so what's so terrible?

Maybe the minimum is -316.406006 meters and the maximum is 854.724976 meters giving an overall vertical height of 1171.130982 meters.

Maybe also, 316.406006 as a portion of 1171.130982 is approx. 27.0171322%.

So, if you equated this percentage to values between 0 and 255 you perahps have a greyscale range for height.

That is, maybe a greyscale colour 0 - 69 would be below zero in height and 69 - 255 above zero in height.

So, maybe if there were 1,016,214 pixels in an image of 4,194,304 pixels that had a greyscale color value between 69-255 you could possibly work out the area could you not? That is if 1 pixel is equal to 10 meters x 10 meters.

Perhaps the area might be something like 101.6214 square kilometers.

Arma FOV make Sahrani look big, when you will use OFP islands here in A1 you will be surprised how big they are

@vilas

Well I played a few OPF maps in A1 (Everon mainly) and they are pretty small compared to Sahrani.

That's a really interesting image analysis idea, DMarkwick. Does photoshop or some other program have that kind of statistic, or would the counting be manual?

I suppose you could reduce the image quite a lot using the nearest neighbour algorithm and it would still be fairly accurate, however tedious.

You can use Photoshop's Histogram function to get a count of selected pixels. So, by using the Magic Wand on this map of Sahrani which just happens to be 1000 pixels by 1000 pixels (very handy :)) and that if we take the map to be the full 20km x 20km, I can tell you that:

The entire map = 1,000,000 pixels

Sea area = 752,891 pixels

Land area = 247,109 pixels

So the landmass, according to my initial rough analysis, seems to be about:

98.8436 km^2 (38.16 sq miles).

Edited by DMarkwick