Sign in to follow this  
walker

Has the LOCAL BUG been fixed?

Hi all

Since OFP when you put your group in to the cargo of a vehicle and another player is driving that vehicle they will not get out.

Yes I know it can be scripted but it is loads of hassle for begginers and people see it as a BIG BAD NASTY BUG.

FIX IT PLEASE BIS!

Kind Regards walker

Hello,

This is indeed one of the annoyances of RVG (Real Virtuality gaming series) Multiplayer gaming.

I think it is quite as bad as the Ammo-bug , so I would hope it was fixed.

But given that BIS has the only engine that could be possible developed into a tactical warfare sim , that the features that offset OFP from the rest of the competition was mainly Large Scale,AI/AI Control and Combined Arms, I think the far broader questions are:

1. Has BIS got any interest in fixing such "mundane" problems ? They help a lot but they are certainly not as flashy as setting up your own vegetation creation system(I am not bashing that,just to point out what is not mundane, but impressive)

2. Does BIS know that Multiplayer "large scale" battles with human controlled AI are still the one point that they could attract people with that noone else could? The one thing that can draw in many people that usually only play strategy games?

Other games have either good graphics , good sounds , good FPS weapon shooting , good PvP leagues. But BIS has the ability to make combined arms "large scale" MP battles where people control a bunch of AI.

Has BIS done anything to improve that aspect(apart from High Command) in Arma2 and has BIS got any plans for such things in the future?

Usually it's the little details that can make or break a game, in this case, it can definately.

Hi all

Any chance of a reply from Ondrej on this one BIS.

It realy is important.

Kind regards walker

If you want some so called bug to be adressed, pls report how to reproduce it step by step.

Vehicle commander/gunner or driver (depending on available vehicle positions) is leader of the group that is present in vehicle.

this bug was seen in OFP MP coop when peoples get into vehicales that are controled by members from a different squad, yet the appear rate is random, if this have already been fixed in ARMA, i have no idea

Hi all

As Requested by Armored_Sheep

Instructions to reproduce the "local bug"

Required Resources:

* ArmA1.15

* A Dedicated Server

* Mission “AI Local Bug†(Link below)

http://www.zeus-community.net/z/AI_Local_Bug.zip

* 2 ArmA client computers

* 2 human players

Contents of mission

* 2 BLUEFOR Groups (but can be any side)

* Group 1 is 1 player plus 4 AI Slots (2 playable slots one to test one to observe bug if needed)

* Group 2 is vehicle group (2 playable slots one to test one to observe bug if needed)

Method

* Start Server

* Two Players log on to the Dedicated Server

* Load attached mission “AI Local Bugâ€

* 1st Player joins group named as “1-1-A†in the “Team Leaderâ€

* 2nd  Player joins group named as “1-1-B†in the “Stryker Driverâ€

* Start mission

* Vehicle is stationary

* 1st Player tells all four of his AI to disembark keys (all four 1)  [`] [4] [1]

Results

AI will not disembark

AI will only disembark if the the driver of the vehicle (2nd Player in this case) gets out (in this example)

Further:

AI will not disembark if any driver crew (human or AI) is in the vehicle and not part of the 1st players group (therefore local to 1st player)

Cause

The cause of this bug is believed to be priority of locality for the vehicle being driver; who is not local to the Player commander with AI in the cargo of the vehicle.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Locality_in_Multiplayer

Known Workarounds

You can have the crew eject while vehicle is in motion

Problem this leads to AI death and injury.

You can script an ejection

Problems

1) Not available in ArmA editor

2) Requires better than beginner knowledge of Real Virtuality engine scripting

3) Using Setpos can lead to AI and players setposed in to building walls etc.

4) Eject is ugly as players all land on top of each other requires a delay to clean up.

ACE has a working example of a scripted work around using the “Jump Out†action menu (all, six {number of Jump out user action }) [`] [6] [#].

Problem Ensuring Jump out is first action in user action menu

Additional Material

A video of this bug can be made available to BIS developers if required through Placebo via Skype.

Thank you to Terox for aid making example mission and testing it with me.

Kind Regards walker

And THE Ammo Bug is what exactly?

I guess he means the bug when a vehicle or ammo crate is full and a player tries to put another magazine or weapon in it, which causes all the contents of the crate/vehicle to suddenly be scattered on the ground around it.

Might have only happened in multiplayer.

I might be wrong. And I don't know if that bug was fixed as I haven't seen it in a while.

It was the bug as Madmatt described, and Suma fixed it (I once reported it in the old bugtracker). It had something to do with the excess of ammo being multiplied by the number of clients and thus creating hundereds of weaponholders near the ammo dump.

But ontopic: I agree that this is an anoying bug. In the same fashion it is possible to completeley lose control over your soldier, it even disapears from the command bar. As soon as the other teams driver/commander gets out, all it normal again.

I guess he means the bug when a vehicle or ammo crate is full and a player tries to put another magazine or weapon in it, which causes all the contents of the crate/vehicle to suddenly be scattered on the ground around it.

Might have only happened in multiplayer.

I might be wrong. And I don't know if that bug was fixed as I haven't seen it in a while.

Uhh yes, i hate that bug too... that have ruined quite some MP sessions of us...

BTW: Was the MP bug with suddenly switching group-leaders solved in any patch?

Hi all

Since OFP when you put your group in to the cargo of a vehicle and another player is driving that vehicle they will not get out.

Yes I know it can be scripted but it is loads of hassle for begginers and people see it as a BIG BAD NASTY BUG.

FIX IT PLEASE BIS!

Kind Regards walker

Definately agree, this has been around a long time, and for those of us who love to play the game commanding AI in groups etc, this can be very frustrating when it occurs.

I hope it can be resolved! biggrin_o.gif

Vehicle commander/gunner or driver (depending on available vehicle positions) is leader of the group that is present in vehicle.

Just a small side step.

The commander should be the leader in ARMA2 if the driver, commander, gunner slots are filled. It was that in ARMA until some of the patches. Hard to give the AI gunner targets when you sit as a driver looking out through a small hole. Commanders usually have more sight up higher.

Regards

Alex

Hi all

FIX IT PLEASE BIS!

Kind Regards walker

Definately agree, this has been around a long time, and for those of us who love to play the game commanding AI in groups etc, this can be very frustrating when it occurs.

I hope it can be resolved!  biggrin_o.gif

crazy_o.gif

When I used to play RTS1-2-3 & CTI on OFP, I would always go bonkers when this happened. Even on Warfare, arg! Mostly because thats the most prevalent time I'm commanding a large amount of AI.

Is the 'ammo bug' really a bug? Is it not just a poorly executed way of handling too much ammo being tried to be put into a vehicle? Vehicles have a defined amount of cargo space afaik.

I have no problems with the fact that this happens, but:

1) There should be a visible indicator on how much space is left in the vehicle before overfilling kicks in.

2) Some vehicles have 'bad' inheritance classes in the configs, such as a Stryker inherites the car class which defines a very limited cargo hold. Strykers should have this value updated for their class (iirc, haven't checked lately).

3) Bad loadout defaults, i.e. the ammo truck is way overfilled by default in its config, 100s of magazines. You can't get anything in. And since 'adnys_mags.pbo' is not included as standard, everything looks like a satchel charge on the ground. Good luck find anything.

4) All my attempts on fixing this for multiplayer missions has turned out bad. JIP players will not see updated ammo contents etc if done via setVehicleInit.

I am really no fan at all on the 'magical drop ammo/weapon box' feature found in many (not too realistic but fun) multiplayer missions.

Gustaffa:

Afaik, with the 'old'-old Ammo bug, once an overfill started, the vehicle/crate started spawning one instance of the item per player over very frequent intervals (or at least anytime someone picked up an item out of the crate), and the massive pile of stuff would eventually crash the server.

One item overfilling and popping out, I think, is a feature rather than a bug.

Oh dear , I apologize.

I was just trying to point out the effect the Local-Bug can have is as bad as the effect the Ammo-bug did have. I am under the assumption as mentioned in this thread that it was fixed for ArmA.

I assume you are correct about the vagueness of the post , but on this forums I have rarely seen something different.

Personally I would love to give more useful,constructive feedback , but until there is some sort of community tracker that you read , all I can do is make you aware of AI-Human Multiplayer problems and limitations.

There are some other problems with MP obviously ( making MP work is always difficult) and I could mention some more dealing with Support-Groups for example , but it I don't even know if you as a company even care.

For all I know you could be wanting to produce "Yet another shooter" and I am using the game not as intended. Dealing with AI in Multiplayer that is.

That is why I asked those questions.

I also apologize to walker for doubting him tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ](Maruk @ Feb. 24 2009,23:17)

let's keep the ammo bug in, just for old time's sake tounge2.gif

Hi all

Can some one confirm this Eight year old MP game killing bug has been fixed?

Kind regards walker

Hi all

Can some one confirm this Eight year old MP game killing bug has been fixed?

Kind regards walker

Of course not, don't be silly.

Also yes I enjoyed ammo bug, it was a game of deciding if you could fit one more law rocket into your jeep and if you failed you would create an impassable black hole of lag.

Hi Turkmenbashi

Sad to hear that. :(

Eight years is a long time for a bug like this to exist.

Wonder if it causes problems with the high command features?

Can some one test that too.

Guess this thread now needs moving to the Troubleshooting section.

Kind Regards walker

Wrong post

Edited by walker
Wrong post

Eight years is a long time for a bug like this to exist.

Sadly, it's not the only bug that exists since OFP had been released, but I'd like this one fixed, too.

Maybe there are enough fixes made to ArmA 2 before / with the release of 505, otherwise this is going to be like when ArmA was first published (actually, it already is, alt least for the german release version).