Sign in to follow this  
Obmar

Glass Damage Tutorial

GD_tut.jpg

Here is the Glass Damage Tutorial, Its one of ArmA's little enigmas as anyone that has tried to implement the dammageHalf/dammageFull animation to a model will know what I am talking about. It has a lot to do with the way the components are convexed in the Fire Geometry LOD. I have put together a tutorial to explain step by step (with images) and config editing with explanations on how to implement the Glass Damage (sklo predni P/sklo predni L) animation properly. I have converted the tutorial to .pdf format for easier reading and downloading as well as online viewing.

Glass_Damage_Tutorial

Very good tut. Sincere thanks for sharing that one Obmar!

thumbs-up.gif

Fantastic, I was just needing this! Now, in the tutorial you only mention two front windows, sklo predni l and p. What naming convention should you use if your car has a front window, rear window and two side windows on each side? Would "sklo predni" and "sklo zadni" work?

Okay, seemed to work that way... but apparently I can't make the windows break individually, as in if I shoot the left window, then right wouldn't break? I guess that's the way the game works.

P.S. Thanks also for your reflective glass tut, it was very useful. thumbs-up.gif

Its what moding is all about, its a hobby and sharing knowledge and actualy getting things to work through trial and error. This tut I did on the fly so am bound to have forgot to include a few things.

Regarding your question the only animations that seem to work with the glass damage animations are the following;

sklo L            glass Left {abbr}  

sklo P            glass Right {abbr}  

sklo predni L   windscreen Left {abbr}  

sklo predni P   windscreen Right {abbr}  

sklo zadni       glass rear  

So yes you could use them for your vehicle glass damage animation. At the moment you can not get the Glass Animations to "Break" individually. So any bullet that hits one Hit-point will "break" all the other glass components, You could try and have different glass textures or the same texture with different names for the different glass selections in the Resolution LODs. I personally have not tried that yet but I think it could work.

You can use the following config sample for your animations and also add the different texture values to the

dammageHalf[] = {"texture1","texture1_break" ,"texture2","texture2_break","texture3","texture3_break

"};

dammageFull[] = {"texture1","texture1_break2" ,"texture2","texture2_break2","texture3","texture3_brea

k2"};

class HitwindscreenGlass

{

armor = 0.5;

material = -1;

name = "sklo predni L";

visual = "sklo predni L";

passThrough = 0;

};

class HitLsideGlass

{

armor = 0.5;

material = -1;

name = "sklo L";

visual = "sklo L";

passThrough = 0;

};

class HitRsideGlass

{

armor = 0.5;

material = -1;

name = "sklo P";

visual = "sklo P";

passThrough = 0;

};

class HitRearGlass

{

armor = 0.5;

material = -1;

name = "sklo zadni";

visual = "sklo zadni ";

passThrough = 0;

};

I have heard that this limitation will be fixed in ArmAII.

Regarding your question the only animations that seem to work with the glass damage animations are the following;

sklo L            glass Left {abbr}  

sklo P            glass Right {abbr}  

sklo predni L   windscreen Left {abbr}  

sklo predni P   windscreen Right {abbr}  

sklo zadni       glass rear

sklo zadni L & P worked for me as well. smile_o.gif

thanx for letting me know that... I learn something new everyday. I tried the different names for the same textures as I mentioned previously and still get the same result. If I shoot at 1 glass component, they all break. So that does not work. I think its hardcoded. Hope they fix it in ArmAII