Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Example Weapons

Latest version 1.2 on May 10 2007.

Freshman asked me to try and help make an aimpoint like he suggested in this thread so I did a little experiment and decided to release an example of some stuff I put together.

From the readme:

This addon contains an example XMS and Beretta 92F. The XMS has a simulation of a red dot sight and both have animated triggers, magazines, and bolt/slide. Both weapons have normal maps, specular maps, and detail maps and have shadow volume LODs. The weapon models and textures are modified from OFP: Resistance.

Version 1.2:

Changes:

Removed alpha hide texture for hiding bullets.

Changed XMS magazine and bullet layout to be more correct. Thanks Le++!

Made spring thicker.

Made Beretta and XMS magazines leave magazine well in synchronization with left hand movements then get hidden when reloading. Thanks to DarkGiver for figuring out how to hide parts and how to use the minValue setting!

Detailed XMS magazine follower and made it move all the way up the magazine so it can be seen when reloading.

Made visible bullets in XMS magazine move with the magazine follower and then stop when unseen.

Made all XMS bullets get hidden when empty.

Version 1.1

Changes:

Added slide/bolt hold open on empty.

Faster and smoother action on slide/bolt and trigger on Beretta.

Added bolt catch lever to XMS and animated slide/bolt catch levers on empty.

Added animated chamber loaded indicator and trigger bar to Beretta.

Added animated magazine follower in Beretta magazine.

Animated magazine release buttons.

Added transparent magazine on XMS with animated magazine follower, ammunition, and spring.

Made hide texture more transparent.

Downloads:

Version 1.2:

ArmedAssault.info Mirror : DOWNLOAD SLX XMS 1.2 [2,01 MB] from FTP#1

Armaholic.com Mirror: SLX_XMS_Example_1.2.rar @ Armaholic.com

SLX XMS Example 1.2 @ FileFront.com

SLX XMS Example 1.2 @ RogePost.com

Videos:

From ArmedAssault.info: XMS video

From Switzerland-mod:

Thanks to DarkGiver for these videos!

Pictures:

Le++'s aimpoint comparison

Red dot sight picture

If anyone wants to host the file they can. Anyone can use the example config to make their own addons. The pbo should be able to be extracted with most pbo tools.

The models and textures are only for example purposes.

Edit: Thanks to ofpdeadeye with ArmedAssault.info and El nino Foxhound with Armaholic.com for the mirrors!

woooow.. that's really impressive.. exactly what the community need smile_o.gif Thank you very very much smile_o.gif

I will try (hmm not try.... i will do) to implement this technology (the anims...) to the Switzerland mod immediatly hehe.

excellent notworthy.gif thank you so much for this, i've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this stuff out crazy_o.gif

impressive work, will help us addon makers, thanks for sharing smile_o.gif

Really cool work. Much better than the original weapons. Nice animations! Now we need a script, that empy mags will stay a few minutes on the ground, no tracers for these guns and better muzzle and smoke effects!

Good job! notworthy.gif

I like the beretta animation.

Though i don't know the exact model of that one. Is it the beretta 92?

same happens to the pistol in VBS2 moded, when empty the pistol remains "open" aftar the last shot, ready for another mag.

If its the beretta 92 the pistol should remain "open" after last shot.

Keep up the super great work! Community have their eyes on your work biggrin_o.gifinlove.gif

Thanks a lot for your example, I just finished adding all the animations to my weapons and they really look a lot better now, great work and thanks for sharing with us wink_o.gif

very big thanks i have already converted more than 20 weapons models biggrin_o.gif

can you explain me how can i make a blue texture from the weapon texture ? i just need this to end my weapon pack smile_o.gif

Aye, thanks for doing all of the tedious work in getting the bone definitions and axis setup, now for the simple job of incorporating this into my pack. Wait...did I say ALL of the tedious work? tounge2.gif

Nice work, the animated pistol slide is something I had been wanting to experiment with, but with all the bone and cfgmodel definitions that seemed to be required I was simply lost within the Biki trying to make heard-or-arse of it.

Aye, thanks for doing all of the tedious work in getting the bone definitions and axis setup, now for the simple job of incorporating this into my pack. Wait...did I say ALL of the tedious work? tounge2.gif

Nice work, the animated pistol slide is something I had been wanting to experiment with, but with all the bone and cfgmodel definitions that seemed to be required I was simply lost within the Biki trying to make heard-or-arse of it.

before you guys release any addon plz isn't the animation alittle unfinished?

Shouldn't the beretta be "open" after firing the last shot? huh.gif

edit:

I mean something like this

www.brickshelf.com_gallery_l0rdv4d3r_Beretta92_empty.jpg

or this

04.jpg

cheers

Quote[/b] ](...)before you guys release any addon plz isn't the animation alittle unfinished?

Shouldn't the beretta be "open" after firing the last shot? huh.gif

edit:

I mean something like this

cheers

Every one do that about the pistol slide.. but that's certainly harder to do than to say... Check the config file.. you will understand smile_o.gif

how different is the engine of VBS2 and ARMA?

from what i understand they are the same.

I already saw it in a VBS2 video. after the last shot the pistol remains "open" like in those pics.

so why not transfere it in to arma? Get my point? wink_o.gif

Thanks for the comments! Glad to know it's helping people. Looking forward to seeing what other people can do with the animations.

MisterXY: Thanks! I might have just thought of a way to get empty mags to stay on the ground.

bravo 6: I think it's the Beretta 92F or 92FS. I tried to have the slide stay back using modelspecial on a test a while ago but it seemed like it only worked with a specific magazine that made all weapons using it have the same model. I think it would be better to have an empty animation that would work with any magazine. There's an animation source that animates based on how many shots there are left which could be used for bullets in transparent magazines, or if someone can figure out a way to make animations only animate at a certain phase then it could animate the slide back only when there are no more shots left. I tried to figure out how to make animations do that while making the example but I don't have enough time to keep testing it. Maybe I'll figure it out someday or maybe someone else can get it working. Everything should get figured out eventually. Until then this is just a starting point.

CRIONYK: If you're using photoshop try making a new layer of the color you want and set it to 50% fill and "color" blending mode.

how different is the engine of VBS2 and ARMA?

from what i understand they are the same.

I already saw it in a VBS2 video. after the last shot the pistol remains "open" like in those pics.

so why not transfere it in to arma? Get my point? wink_o.gif

Because no one has vbs2 to check the files.. and no one know how to do that.. that's totally undocumented. We are forced by BIS to explore step by step the functionality without help.

Well, after a little tinkering with the M4A1 model in my pack, this works perfectly. The magazine is 'removed' during reloading, the trigger animates (along with the user's finger, but this was already in ArmA anyway), and the chamber ejects the spent shell-casing (a much better method than the old 'zasleh-ghosting' bug/exploit I had been using previously). Nice work. I'm yet to incorporate this into any of the pistols in the pack because most of them need reworking. Thanks for your work in this field, it has saved me, and a lot of other addon-makers a lot of time.

I also implemented the method to all the weapons of the Switzerland-mod.. but there is still the problem of the pistol slide not open when the gun is empty... i hope we will be able to find a solution. Else of course that's great and a lot better than before smile_o.gif

This was already possible in OFP.

Look at our panzerfaust addon, that uses the same method you would use for a gun.

Well, technically yes, but not 100%

It used the modelspecial config command, which yes, you're quite right, can be used for rifles/handguns etc too. However, as this was, and as far as I am aware is still defined by the magazine used, would prevent you using different magazines between different weapons (loading a 9mm SD magazine for say the M9 into a non-SD M9 would add the silencer and vice-versa) which may not be the desired effect.

Apart from the nice slide-, trigger- and other animations which are nice too the aimpoint rocks notworthy.gif

Great news notworthy.gif . Solus do you have a tutorial about creating specular maps ? (or can you write anything about specular maps here)

I had a look at these weapons earlier, the features are impressive. Hope to see future weapon packs using this.

It would be cool if BIS did this to their weapons in a patch. The aimpoint works as it should and the BIS M4 aimpoint should be modified to work like this. Makes walking while shooting a bit more accurate.

As for the magazine being dropped, are soldiers not suppose to keep empty mags? I heard that somewhere, not sure if it's true.

Nice to see smooth animations on the weapons, an improvement over how they worked in OFP.

Martin_BM: The way I did the specular maps is by taking the regular color texture and making the red and blue channels full white in photoshop and lowered the brightness and contrast in the green channel. Basically the specular maps should have flat white in the red and blue channels, then the brightness of the green channel controls how shiny each area is, from no shining on the darkest part to a mirror like shine on white. I think the red and blue channels might also control something but most of the BIS specular maps have just white and it seems to work fine. Hope some of that makes sense and helps!

Maddmatt: I think magazines are supposed to be held on to when doing a regular reload, but could be dropped if you're in a hurry. Maybe a faster reloading animation could be played with the magazine dropping to the ground if it's empty. The animated magazines on the Beretta and XMS seem to drop since it's easiest to make them just rotate out of the way to a hopefully unseen area. They could also be moved out of the way faster and it would look like they just disappear and it would be assumed that the left hand had taken them or they had dropped. I tried to get the animation to wait until the left hand was near the magazine before it animated but it's the same problem with some other animations I wanted to do, I can't make it wait until a specific spot. I think there's a way to have them actually get hidden instead of just moving them so maybe someone else can figure out how to get that working. Maybe if there's a "scale" animation type then the magazine could be shrunken down, but I don't know if there is.