***UPDATE****

10 October 2006

Arabia Beta #2:

Download Link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/36290288/ArabiaBETA_2_.exe.html

From the README:

Quote[/b] ]

Changes, et cetera:

-Northern Country-  A soviet funded dictatorship.  Brown buildings.  Soviet era military facilities.

-Southern Country- A small, yet wealthy democratic country funded by the United States. White buildings, a nice modern airport, and modern military

facilities reflect this countrys greater wealth.

-Many objects were replaced, and thousands of new ones added, mainly vegitation.

-All lights were replaced by those found in MAPFACTS excellent Baracken addon.

TO DO:

I might possibly make use of MAPFACTS oiladdon.  You can trust when they are added they will be in their proper, and true-to-life places, as per the

rest of the already placed objects.

All required addons are included.  My apologies for not including the original readme's, but if I'm ever going to finish this island, I honestly don't have time to re download ALL of the addons just to get their read mes.  After I'm finished, I will, until then, sorry.

Why does it appear in the editor as North Africa?

Most of North Africa is considered to be part of "Arabia" due to the Islamic (and, actually Arabian) influence. wink_o.gif

Looks cool... will need to try this. thumbs-up.gif

Amazing island  wink_o.gif, What about the Broking Bridge banghead.gif.

god damn, this island is superb! wow_o.gifthumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

in way it's done i can forgive other small things...

this island is perfect for Iraqi convoys biggrin_o.gif

god damn, this island is superb! wow_o.gifthumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

in way it's done i can forgive other small things...

this island is perfect for Iraqi convoys biggrin_o.gif

sure is.. maybe one day we go on MP and destroy a convoy and record it tounge2.gif

People, I'm telling you, if you think it's good now, download that WGL texture pack and it looks 10 times better, links in the first post.  I had originally made most of the towns with the brown buildings, but it really looks better with them the washed out color, and it saves me the trouble of pondering which town should be which color.  I'll probably make a version with all brown buildings and walls if everyone would like.

Is anyone else getting a missing P3d error, other than that one guy?

One bridge I found is destroyed and marked with a sign. Another one I found is a dual road to the north and one side is missing completly.

That's because some of them are unfinished intentionally. they are still under construction...

The bridges are from the Team Yankee Mod. Would've been nice if you mentioned that in the readme. wink_o.gif

Jens

I wasn't even planning on releasing this to the public.  I figured people would notice, considering TYKbridges are included? My apologies, again, and I will include your team in the readme

I'm very pleasantly suprised. Its one of the better islands I've seen. Very unique feel to it.

Quote[/b] ]I wasn't even planning on releasing this to the public.

Don't worry about many critical comments. Some people are too jaded about addons. I can't think of many that haven't had some flaw or didn't document a required addon.

This is a real nice island and most people do appreciate it very much.

Quote[/b] ]I wasn't even planning on releasing this to the public.

Don't worry about many critical comments. Some people are too jaded about addons. I can't think of many that haven't had some flaw or didn't document a required addon.

This is a real nice island and most people do appreciate it very much.

This is spoken like a typical consumer, I think that the credits are the only currency that will pay the addonmaker for all the work he invested in addons. As soon an addon is released to public it is only polite to mention the used addons, instead of including them in the download without a word of mention in the thread nor in the readme. I think that this kind of opinion shouldnt be considered critic on the map itself, but rather on how its presented. icon_rolleyes.gif

I already liked the map in the previous version because of the layout of the road system as well as the terraforming, but couldnt use it because of the use of original BIS buildings which didnt fit the desert theme at all. Nice to see it converted to Libya objects, which fit the them much better. Also like the layout of the town, which has alot of walls, which is very typical for arabic towns. The road system makes the map interesting for convoy and ambush missions. I would like to see the use of more addons for substituting the remaining BIS buildings like mapfact barracks for the camps (they also have hardened aircraft shelter in the pack that could be used at the airbase) as well as AG_smith harbour pack for an interesting harbour. And as a final suggestion I wouldnt use the coconut palms on the map, since they dont exsist in arabic countrys, but rather use the datepalms from the Libya object pack. A nice beta, that could turn out rather nice with a little additional work.

I had originally nicely placed buildings from a beta 'eastern buildings pack' but they were missing LODS, and were full of bugs, and seeing as i don't believe they will ever be updated, i just replaced them with other libya addons. as you can see i neglected to replace some, ie, some rest areas and gas stations are missing buildings close to them. i've thought about replacing the bases with mapfact barracks, and will probably do so in the future. since the release i've fixed a few odds and ends, and placed market stands in all of the towns, to help add a bit of realism. when i'm finished ironing out the major drawbacks, i'll release a version with all brown buildings and walls as well. it's just too hard to pick which village should be white, and which should be brown, as they both look so good... again, my apologies for the lack of proper credits in the readme

One of the best islands out there, its big, its offer a very good performance, so you can place a lot of units on it and the road system is outstanding smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

I like this map a lot.

Great stuff.

Regarding the Brown/white buildings. Maybe divide the map into rough quaters and colour all within the same.

goood to keep in line with the Jones'