Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Rattler (25km desert terrain)

PMC Rattler - 25km terrain

It is a 25.6km x 25.6km sized desert island with war torn feeling of ruined towns, then some modern oil well / refinery and sea port locations. Also there is military bases, airbase and airstrip.

Two Apaches patrolling near oil refinery

Rattler-02.jpg

Two Apaches patrolling

Rattler-17.jpg

Apache on small hillside

Rattler-18.jpg

Apache closing to military base

Rattler-27.jpg

Next we have few screenshots with viewdistance 3,500 meters. With amd 2800, radeon 9800 pro, 1gb ram machine it is fully playable with this kind of insane viewdistance.

A10 flying above hills

Rattler-44.jpg

A10 flying above valley

Rattler-47.jpg

A10 near refinery

Rattler-51.jpg

A10 over sea port

Rattler-61.jpg

The island has the mentioned ruined towns using resistance objects (or cwc whatever kolgujev destroyed buildings?), then those oil well/refinery areas along with sea ports are using AGS industrial pack and harbor kit. The airbase and military bases use resistance and Baracken objects. Most of the locations are connected with dirt and sometimes asfalt roads. The airbase is of course configured to use the AI landing autopilot.

As usual, PMC provides the island with several missions so people cannot slam this to be another of those "5 minutes in editor" addons. Hey, we made this island for our missions, so missions we surely will add to it.

Is this excuse for normal island since its "desert", no its not. There is no big dedicated desert island released so PMC Rattler changes that now. It is pure desert because as seen on earlier user island releases people dont really like island with tens of different landscapes combined. PMC approach is european green theme with PMC Rugen and now desert with this PMC Rattler. When people want to have specific landscape, they can just choose an island. You cannot swap from units woodland camo to desert camo during mission, so why add gazillion terrain types on one island?

Check out large size image of the mapview with names (496kb) to get better idea of the terrain, roads and objective locations.

This release comes with few single player missions (MP ones might follow) and one campaign. The missions included are:

PMC Fight Video Desert - Nice and hugely large & boring "dynamic" combat cutscene. Just sit back and watch the fight erupt. This indeed is a long mission and as its completely random camerawork, sometimes you see units standing around while you hear intense battle on the background. It also takes some time to watch the units move, surely this will make viewer to appreciate the actual combat footage he sees eventually. There should be tons of such footage since there are going to be alot of combined arms units on the map.

PMC Gunship Assault 1 - Apache attack on airbase, (perhaps opening for a new campaign). You with your AH-64 and OH58 wingmen attack the enemy held airbase in dawn. Expect to see infantry, soft vehicles along with heavy tanks. There are also shilka threat present so you need to be careful while approaching. There is A-10 flight standing by for you attack order when you have acknowledged that any AA threats are taken down.

PMC Hercules Rescue - CoC CE, SAR operation, get the survivors to safety. You have three blackhawks, two apaches and chinook to ferry your two ranger and one SEAL squads around. First you need to find the downed C-130 somewhere in the huge desert, it can be anywhere, then you must get your troops foot on the ground to rescue the survivors and neutralize the delicate equipment onboard the C-130. Finally you must bring all survivors back to the HQ. Enemy presence is heavy, youre short on time, will you bring them home?

PMC Valley Escape - LSR Rangers are evacuating from oil farm under heavy enemy fire. Your Ranger squad is located on one of the oil well/farms, enemies are closing in on multiple directions, HQ promised to send support but you must hold back the attacking russians until its safe to bring in extraction helo. Keep your men alive.

PMC Dynamic CE - Dynamic CoC CE CAMPAIGN, huge battle with dynamic AI/campaign structure. Yep as it says, this is dynamic campaign. No, we're not just toying with words here as seen before, this is DYNAMIC and its CAMPAIGN, period. Ok, so lets take an example; in mission one enemy capture objective a, b and c, while you capture e, d and f. Well in next mission enemy has placed defensive troops in the locations he captured and will not anymore send his assets to these locations, instead he goes after the remaining objectives such as your e, d and f. While your forces have done the same, there is now defensive forces in e, d and f locations so you can move on and focus on the other objectives. Weather will be random and saved for next mission, ie if it was raining when you ended your mission, next one will start as rain too until the weather changes. Use your forces wisely, you got Rangers, SEALs, regular infantry. UH60L Blackhawks, Apaches, Abrams and Bradleys. Support assets are M252 mortars, M101 howitzers, M109 Paladins and Cruise missiles from the nuclear sub below the ocean surface. Your goal is to run off the reds from the region by capturing all objectives and at the same time preventing him to capture any of yours, also you get specific mission(s) like search and destroy for enemy artillery (more will be added later, time permitting). All in all, you have never seen campaign like this on OFP as of yet. Its still work in progress and feedback is welcome, it is however completely playbale since there is no showstopper bugs/issues at least none that I know of.

Required addons for missions are different than from the island of course. Basically the missions need:

JAM2

LSR Ranger/SEALs

bas blackhawk

CoC Unified Artillery

C-130 Hercules

SA-11 Gadfly

Bn880 tracers

and something else I'm sure that I forgot 🙂

Required Addons

Island requires few addons, these are; Agent Smith (AGS) Harbour kit, AGS Industrial Pack and Baracken. No other addons needed. Download these from:

Industrial Pack v3.0

Harbor kit v1.3

Baracken v1.5

Version and Download

The island including missions are now designated as Alpha 1, but we hope to move into beta testing and eventually final release in very quick pace. If there is any dramatic errors or I get fabulous user suggestions, I'm going to fix/change what is necessary. People are semi-encouraged to create missions with this versions as I will NOT "delete cities" just out of the blue. Honestly, I think its pretty ok as is and if nothing comes up (what I expect) we dont see many changes for final version.

Get PMC Rattler island at PMC Tactical OFP Downloads page.

Official PMC Tactical OFP Homepage is always open with PMC Tactical Forum. We will gather bug reports and feedback in BIS topic as well in our own forums. Remember, it is your feedback which makes the island/missions better, nothing else. Check also PMC Rattler 25km Desert Terrain Official Forum Topic.

PMC Dynamic CE ->

Inf Alpha Echo is marked as Foxtrot on map.

I know I should read CoC Manuals, but maybe you can give me fast advice. How to land helo (AH64) after mission?

Inf Alpha Echo is marked as Foxtrot on map.

Thanks, will fix that.

Quote[/b] ]How to land helo (AH64) after mission?

Click on the AH64 marker, click the group option at radio which opens the detailed menu, from here click Action. And there should be "Land" option. Make sure the helo has no active waypoints/move orders otherwise it takes off immediately after landing.

sounds like a nice island but i wonder if its got any objects laid out on it? Or if its like the other pmc islands that stuff is centralized around a few places? It gets a bit dull to watch the terrain when there is just big open spaces you know tounge2.gif

Will download this as soon as possible on sunday and see what this pmc island goes for biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Could you make one version with <catshit afghan>  objects instead of cwc and res objects building

I have interest on the Afghan desert terrain type since its somewhat similar to Rattlers theme - few populated locations and few objects scattered around.

I did test version of large Afghanistan island, but haven't really put any time to develop it so far.

No, I will not use catshit Afghanistan objects on PMC Rattler, if there is demand and/or I'm still eager, I might do that big Afghan island.

Quote[/b] ]but i wonder if its got any objects laid out on it?

Yes there is. Its a desert island meaning its got mostly sand and only few tree/bush objects here and there.

Quote[/b] ]Or if its like the other pmc islands that stuff is centralized around a few places?

Other PMC islands... like PMC SmallVille and PMC Rugen? Yes indeed Rugen has much less objects than normal islands, thats its catch also, but to say the stuff is centralized around few places isn't true. Download the latest PMC Rugen and you'll see.

Quote[/b] ]It gets a bit dull to watch  the terrain when there is just big open spaces you know

Sure, understand what you mean. Rugen & Rattler is not meant to be object littered laggy islands.

For example, I was thinking that "how do I take nice screenshot?" well you cannot, Rugen and Rattler's point isn't on one single screenshot, you have to go into the 25km x 25km terrain world to see for yourself how is it like to operate there with other units/vehicles. For example, try out the PMC Hercules Rescue mission, when you go out to look the downed bird you'll get the idea whats it all about. If you dont like it, then its just isn't your gameplay style, nothing wrong in your gameplay style or PMC Rattler.

Agree. I like Rattler. It is different. Good for big battles or just long patrol, marching, flight, whatever.

About small mission with defending as special operations team. Transport helicopters did not come. Cobra was shot, so maybe UHs too... I have some strange events with mags. We start with JAM standard ones, but in support boxes was HD ones. Some enemies had HD, some not (i think). I even found one enemy with M4SOPMOD in dead hand. I use DMA ECP Modpack, so it can be the cause.

I was suprised that I managed to defend at the first time. Well trained soldiers I had smile_o.gif Arty was not too much helpful. But mission was fun.

Snake Man, your islands are tops!!! I absolutely love their vastness and lack of lag!!! Curiously I didn't know about your Rugen island before reading this thread... besides Rugen, Rattler and Euro, did you make other huge lag-less islands? Where can I find a place where are your islands are available for download? thumbs-up.gif

BUZZARD @ Nov. 14 2005,00:58)]I didn't know about your Rugen island before reading this thread... besides Rugen, Rattler and Euro, did you make other huge lag-less islands?

Small correction, PMC Euro was the project name for PMC Rugen. Check out the PMC Euro topic and the new PMC Rugen topic here at BIS forums. Old PMC Euro topic and new PMC Rugen topic on the PMC Tactical forums.

I have only released PMC SmallVille and these two new big islands (besides the two NAM islands which are now located in VTE). I dont have any real islands under work, but I do have bunch of playground projects like aircombat island and the mentioned big Afghanistan.

Quote[/b] ]Where can I find a place where are your islands are available for download?

From those two topics you can find the big ones, there is no real island other than them. The islands are not in PMC Tactical's download page since they are such project state now, they will be added later.

Any body in need of excercising the ol grey matter? Then check this thing out! It's akin to a game of chess agains't gary kasparov biggrin_o.gif Edit= the campaign that is.

okay i understand your policy about the islands tounge2.gifsmile_o.gif

well lag free can be nice sometimes even though i like detail more myself tounge2.gif Seriously this could be nice for some sort of Cti missions cause they always take up cpu power like **** biggrin_o.gif off to mission editor now wink_o.gif