Sign in to follow this  
colosseum

COOP 10 Lingor Survival v1.0 (zombies)

I've wanted a mission similar to the Chernarus Apocalypse missions, but set on Lingor for quite some time, so decided to try my hand at making one. This mission uses Celery's zombies (scripts from CA Part 2) and IceBreakr's Lingor (v1.3) island. Aside from that, everything else is stock A2CO.

Please keep in mind that I am an extremely amateur mission designer and this may contain many bugs, exploits, and flaws that I would love to hear about (and how to fix them!). I would really appreciate feedback on what I can do differently and what can be done better.

Now onto the mission itself:

Map: Lingor v1.3

Players: 1-10 (3-4 recommended...)

Story:

Your helicopter has been forced down during your attempt to escape Lingor. Realizing that there's no way to get the helicopter running again, you must find a way back to the safe zone at Conoteta Island.

Description:

This is a cooperative zombie mission akin to Chernarus Apocalypse, but set on Lingor.

Equipment and munitions are scarce and the enemy is dangerous and numerous, which promotes tactics, teamwork and good shooting. The zombies are resistant to bullets, and only a headshot is a reliable way to kill them.

The players can choose to fuel up an An-2 at the Sargentas airport (which requires the Pilot as part of the team), or they can just venture to the safe zone on foot. If the latter option is selected, the mission will involve almost 60% of Lingor's usable territory.

Features:

• Addon-free but convincing zombies
  • Player characters have unique equipment
  • Custom healing script with shareable bandages
  • Zombies may drop bandages and magazines
  • Pistols are accurate
  • Selectable friendly fire damage rate
  • JIP players start close to the group
  • Character gear, bandages and damage are saved in case a player disconnects
  • Spectator mode after death
  • You can continue the game after dying by picking a new character slot

Credits:

Mission: Ian

Scripts (and basically everything, most of what I did is totally derivative): Celery

Apocalypse series concept: Zipper5 and Celery

Noises and screams: Thief II: The Metal Age and freesound.org

Lingor: IceBreakr

Requirements:

ArmA2: Combined Operations (or equivalent)

BAF (recommended, but will work without)

PMC (recommended, but will work without)

Lingor v1.3

Installation:

Put the pbo file into your ArmA 2\MPMissions folder.

THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. Please report any problems you encounter! I'd really appreciate feedback on whether or not the mission is even fun.

DOWNLOAD:

Download for version 1.2a now available!.

Armaholic Mirror for version 1.2a

Edited by Colosseum

Armaholic mirror added -- thanks Big!

Also, please keep in mind that this is an extremely BETA release of this mission. If you encounter any bugs, problems, or fundamental flaws, PLEASE report them to me so I can do my best to fix them!

Edit: Also, here's some tips that I've figured out when testing with a few friends:

Hints:

Player Selection:

1. The first five available units should be picked first. The second group are all unarmed and have no special abilities, and are basically just extra player slots.

2. The Pilot should only be taken if you plan on flying to safety.

3. The Medic and Guerrilla Fighter should always be in your group, since the Medic has 8 bandages (a la the Doctor character in Celery's missions), and the Guerrilla knows where caches and vehicles are located.

4. The Czech Special Forces Operator (with M4A3) and the Contractor (with M1911) are the next logical choices since weapons are extremely scarce.

5. Some of the extra slots have GPS maps which makes navigating easy with the RCtrl+M minimap.

Tactics:

1. Selective engagement is the best option.

2. Towns are heavily infested and should be avoided if possible.

3. If you plan to take the plane, look for the fuel truck in one of the locations marked. Be advised that bringing it to the airfield will attract a lot of zombies (more than usual), and spawn two large hordes to attack you.

4. There is an 81mm mortar in the back of one of the vehicles at the airport. One of the team members should set it up and use the artillery computer to drop some mortar rounds on the zombie hordes while the plane gets fuelled up. Alternatively, if you're really fast, you can all just hop in the plane and try to escape (not recommended)...

5. There is a man-portable DSHkM 12.7mm machine gun in one of the caches. Find a tripod bag and you can assemble and use it. It can come in handy sometimes.

6. Even if you don't choose to take the plane, the fuel truck can be a huge boon for a group travelling in convoy.

7. A player in one of the illuminant towers at the airport can spot the fall of mortar rounds and vastly improve targeting. Our group was able to completely eliminate one of the hordes before it got within 200 yards.

Edited by Colosseum

Several issues came to light today, and I have done my best to fix them.

Download for version 1.1 now available.

Changelog:

v1.1

- Made the starting boat spawn at one of three random locations

- Markers placed in-game by players are now visible to the entire group

- Incorporated Celery's GPS system (players with GPS maps can see the other players on it)

- Changed the starting boat from a PBX to a small civilian pleasure craft

- Guerrilla has a custom diary with cache/vehicle locations and coordinates instead of markers

- Replaced broken horde notification markers with generic "danger" zones

- Removed aviation fuel markers; players are advised to search likely areas for the fuel truck

Planned: full update to Celery's newest zombie scripts

Edited by Colosseum

Wow, that's a nice suprise! Will give it a go with my buddies. And Lingor v1.33 is just around the corner ;)

Sweet! And please let me know how it turns out. I'd love any useful feedback about how to improve the mission.

Very good work Colosseum! i've tried the 1.0 version with a buddy, the only problem i can report is trying to revert after a save respawn at the start of the mission (don't know why, maybe the button must be disabled if saving is not possible), we will try the 1.1 version soon

Awesome, glad you liked it. Celery's missions disable saving, but I reenabled it because we often have to take breaks during play. I have a feeling having it present will cause problems though, since the script wasn't originally meant for it. I will most likely disable it in v1.2. Celery's scripts support JIP, which means that if any client dies, he can click Abort and then choose one of the unused characters to rejoin the game near the rest of the group. This won't work for the server player, though, if he dies, he's dead and can't come back unless the mission is restarted.

v1.2 will be released later today. Among the improvements are a total move to Celery's newest zombie scripts which should increase the performance of the mission. Stay tuned.

Edit: Strange issue: a small framerate decrease when playing v1.2 in MP, but not in the editor? This is while testing my mission with one player in a LAN server I host. Only occurs with v1.2 in the LAN server, never with anything else. v1.2 runs perfectly fine while testing in the editor.

ArmA2 drives me nuts sometimes!

Edited by Colosseum

v1.2a is here. I've moved back to the old zombie scripts, which seem to work perfectly fine to me. Reason being that the newest iteration causes framerate drop in some players' games. I will update to the latest zombie scripts when I can fix this problem, but for now the old-ish ones seem perfectly adequate.

COOP-10 Lingor Survival v1.2a Download

Changelog:

v1.2a

- Changed the Pilot from a standard US Pilot to a US Pilot (light)

- Changed the starting boat back to a PBX

- Reduced the fuel in the starting boat by 50%

- Added 3 boat markers so players will have to search for the boat

- Landing the An-2 at the Conoteta Island airport will now win the mission

- Disabled saving

- Removed some vehicles that unbalanced gameplay

- Added more large concentrations of zombies

- Removed extra zombie spawns in towns

If anyone would like to volunteer to playtest with me on a server, I would REALLY appreciate it. All of my testing has been local, except for one game with a group of friends. It was amazing how many bugs were ironed out when playing with other people!

Edited by Colosseum