Sign in to follow this  
Col.

Cook. American Big City

cookyr.jpg

Cook City Project.

An American fictional city

This will be my first addon for Arma 2, and because of an PC crash today, 22.09.2011, it needs to be started all from scratch again, sorry to all people who really wanted this to be done fast, shit happends.

Information:

The map will be a war map, not a civilian map. This is ruins, rubbles and war.

Fictional western American city.

The map will now be two islands, one civilian part, where people lived with a good sight to the main city, and the main city island.

This is how the map will be like. Harbor-battles, mid-town battles etc.

Credits:

Urban Pack by Charon

BISstudio for the awesome game and tools

GLT Signs by Myke

TKS Buildnings by Takko

Map Editorupgrade by Lester

Stadium by Pathetic Berserker

P44 house by DPS

Buildning pack by Simba

Bank by I.M.G.

Team:

Me.

Old Bear, great guy! Many thanks to him for joining the project!

-pic temporary down-

Greetings,

Col.

Edited by Col.

Do you now how many Kms of roads and pieces are you going to put in the map?

That's insane dude

But I like it

Well, you were looking at the wrong map, bud. Uploaded the wrong map.

New map picture up and going now.

Edit: Oh and yeah, will be a challenge, but again; Almost everything you do in life is a challenge, and since I'm a teenager without job, and just school, I ahve much free time to do this, and no real life problems. So yep, this is gonna be hard, but lovely. Love modding as a hobby.

Oh mate, its 9/11 and you came up with that... that fits somehow...

Its hard so imagine such big buildings in Arma... would be interessting at least I guess.

Jarhead

Pre 9/11 or post 9/11?

Well, the area of the city is not located anywhere near South Manhattan, so play how you want. :P

Well, the area of the city is not located anywhere near South Manhattan, so play how you want. :P

It's not? the aerial imagery you are showing sure looks like the where the Twin Towers were located. See the two squares on the upper portion of your imagery? I'm pretty certain that is Ground Zero. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It's not? the aerial imagery you are showing sure looks like the where the Twin Towers were located. See the two squares on the upper portion of your imagery? I'm pretty certain that is Ground Zero. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, seems like you're right, first thought was a construction site.

But yes, this map is post 9/11 by then

your picture has the 911 memorial on it :s

EDIT: ninja'd

I smell COD:MW3

New York. If the first the thing you think about when you think of New York is MW3, then seems like you spend too much time with MW... Just because New York happens to be in MW3 does not mean, imply, or suggest that someone is trying to make ArmA like MW3. Just like having a radial menu would not make ArmA be like OFP DR. And, btw, so what if Col. is making it because of MW3? I don't see anyone else making a big city map.

So do I... but i support the idea of a modern, evolved city map for Arma, even if the idea comes from that "game".

Say whatever you want, New York will never be "MW3".

Say Col. , if the whole Manhattan will be sited for the map production, will you gonna imply the underground system (like metro) and enter-able buildings as well? Or this will be only an outdoor only?

underground is a bit hard to implement atm (in A2 anyways) for any sort of map using A2 engine...

Hmm, you got me thinking there, I will take a look at that when the the whole West Manhattan is done.

...might be wrong here but i seriously doubt that the Arma game engine could withstand a map of this nature...seems to me that frame rates would 'tank' (forgive the pun). I doubt it would be playable. What might work better is to come up a small skirmish type map based on a tiny section such as Ellis Island, or LaGuardia airport, etc.

I am pretty sure it would if the buildings details are kept to a minimum (read simple boxes), and so are the textures (tiled eventually). If one would want all enterable buildings, then you are right, it would most likely fail

I am pretty sure it would if the buildings details are kept to a minimum (read simple boxes), and so are the textures (tiled eventually). If one would want all enterable buildings, then you are right, it would most likely fail

I'm trying that out now.

First I will make a small skirmish map of just a quarter of Manhattan, just Central. If that workds correctly, I will make it bigger and bigger untill it's not going fluidly.

Which likely look like this:

142 kb image removed

And will come with the first Beta, for people who doesnt handle that metropolian city that much.

Edit: Oh and btw, don't expect it to be the best map around or something, or have big expections for it. It's my first project, and don't ask why I take such a mad desicion to make New York, I love challenges, and if you start hard, you will get more experience. Oh and don't expect it to be New York-like, like EMpire State, Wall Street, Ground Zero. It will more likely be more like a fictional western city, it does not look like New York :P So was pretty dumb to make such a fast decision about the city theme.

So; I rename it to be a Western Metropolian City by now, and we'll see in the future if a New York map will come.

Edited by W0lle

...might be wrong here but i seriously doubt that the Arma game engine could withstand a map of this nature...seems to me that frame rates would 'tank' (forgive the pun). I doubt it would be playable. What might work better is to come up a small skirmish type map based on a tiny section such as Ellis Island, or LaGuardia airport, etc.

Not really. Just look at ensk city. If it's of a comparable size it will be no problem at all.

Oh and don't expect it to be New York-like, like EMpire State, Wall Street, Ground Zero. It will more likely be more like a fictional western city, it does not look like New York :P So was pretty dumb to make such a fast decision about the city theme.

So; I rename it to be a Western Metropolian City by now, and we'll see in the future if a New York map will come.

Sad :(. You got my hopes up...

New York map is primarly an Oxygen project, not much Visitor. But even in 2nd phase (Visitor) it would prove to be a massive challenge. Good luck with your project.