Sign in to follow this  
humvee28

ARMA 2 : OA beta build 84156

Interpolation changes really disabled for MP, so the behaviour in MP should be a little better again, on 1.59 level.

Also issues with createVehicled missiles, bombs, shells etc should be solved. So Mando Missiles and ACE weapon resting.

Interpolation changes really disabled for MP, so the behaviour in MP should be a little better again, on 1.59 level.

Exactly what I was hoping for, at least as a temporary measure. :)

Also issues with createVehicled missiles, bombs, shells etc should be solved. So Mando Missiles and ACE weapon resting.

Sweet. Were there any other major regressions introduced in these betas that still need fixing?

Otherwise I'd say it's time for 1.60. Then we can get on with MP interpolation. :D

Just sayin'. ;)

Otherwise I'd say it's time for 1.60. Then we can get on with MP interpolation.

Yes, this is exactly the plan now. I think we are all setup, as the server side fix already done should be enough to allow further MP interpolation to be done client side only.

Now all we need is to verify there are no significant regressions, which might take a few days, and then the new stable patch could be released.

Really nice effort here, BIS!

I tried to recruit my son and a friend of his the other day, with a small mission I put together. After 5 minutes of playing they asked how they could play against each other. So it's really good to hear that the MP part is getting some attention. That really has to "simply work" to live up to the CoD crowd expectations.

-OP

Yes, this is exactly the plan now. I think we are all setup, as the server side fix already done should be enough to allow further MP interpolation to be done client side only.

Now all we need is to verify there are no significant regressions, which might take a few days, and then the new stable patch could be released.

If you are going for 1.60, you might want to make sure that the official campaigns are working as intended. As it is now, Red Harvest grinds to a halt in mission 3.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23755

About "laggy" AIs in MP, you must make difference between:

1.) server AIs (this can be partially solved by settings in base/basic.cfg )

2.) players AIs (own AIs or other players AIs) ... there is no way how to solve this

In CASE when you reffering to case 2., this is not BUG, this is how is game network engine using player's upload line.

In other words, how often are clients (players) sending their positions (player and his AIs) to the server.

I created ticket for that issue, you can VOTE for it:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23241

So far this beta is giving an excelent performance for me. I dont remember that the game have been as smooth before. Very promising. :)

Need to test more to see if it still crashes time to time.

Hm I cannot see an improvement of interpolation in MP. Does anyone else?

Can you please try my demo mission or provide another.

Hm I cannot see an improvement of interpolation in MP. Does anyone else?

Can you please try my demo mission or provide another.

Looks like it's back to the old pre-beta warping for me. Although it only seems bad for the infantry. The helis are pretty snappy, and this is with my crappy ass VServer that can barely run Minecraft satisfactorily. I've recorded some footage:

0WYZBWanAYo

(This is using the latest beta for client and server, obviously.)

Nope, definitely none of the insane rubberbanding I saw with older betas.

Edited by MadDogX

I've bought 3 sets of Arma 2, OA, BAF and PMC and given them to my mates...but they still won't play because it's not really playable with the warping!

So I for one cannot wait until the networking stuff is sorted out.

Keep up the good work BIS!

Looks like it's back to the old pre-beta warping for me. Although it only seems bad for the infantry. The helis are pretty snappy, and this is with my crappy ass VServer that can barely run Minecraft satisfactorily. I've recorded some footage:

(This is using the latest beta for client and server, obviously.)

Nope, definitely none of the insane rubberbanding I saw with older betas.

Indeed, seems to be definitely different from previous betas, 1.59 like.

Looks like it's back to the old pre-beta warping for me. Although it only seems bad for the infantry. The helis are pretty snappy, and this is with my crappy ass VServer that can barely run Minecraft satisfactorily.

Interesting about the helis, I wonder why they are so much smoother?

To me it looks just the same as the beta before.

And 1.59 has by no means that insane warping of infantry even at close distance. :(

To me it looks just the same as the beta before.

I cannot confirm that at all. The rubberbanding back and forth in the previous betas was nigh unbearable, even at closer ranges. From what I can tell, we're now back to the old simple warping, although that remote tank warping did seem extreme. Overall it's not quite 1.59, but I'd say it's an improvement over the previous betas.

I'll try and run some more tests later today, comparing the current beta with one of the previous ones, aswell as 1.59 final.

I stand corrected. The issue(s) I see is also in 1.59.

So in SP/for local AI the beaming is fixed.

Unfortunately in MP/for remote AI it is not improved.

Lets hope for 1.61 betas to address this soon.

For details see: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23555#note-33

What about this major issue ?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23028

Not sure that's really a "bug", but I'd like to see that improved as well. Kinda funky seeing major popup happening not too far from your view when in a plane/heli. It may decrease performance but we should at least have a slider to choose "Object View Distance" or something.

I stand corrected. The issue(s) I see is also in 1.59.

So in SP/for local AI the beaming is fixed.

Unfortunately in MP/for remote AI it is not improved.

Lets hope for 1.61 betas to address this soon.

For details see: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23555#note-33

Cool. :)

So that issue is out of the way for now, and AFAIK so far no one has reported any new regressions with this beta, which is a good sign. I played a couple of missions from the PMC campaign yesterday without any issues or crashes etc. (Though the game has never really been prone to crashing on my comp anyway, so that's not saying much.)

Here's looking forward to getting 1.60 out of the door so Suma can (hopefully) focus on fixing the MP warping. :D

Suma,

Can you throw us a bone and include the OH-58D that we see in VBS2 in the next patch? I think the community would appreciate it very much.

Suma,

Can you throw us a bone and include the OH-58D that we see in VBS2 in the next patch? I think the community would appreciate it very much.

ಠ_ಠ

I wonder if you're actually serious with that.

It's not that easy to just take a model and throw it from a military simulator that's probably restricted alot by army contracts and put it in a commercial game. Not to mention the engines are quite different right now (VBS2 is running on Real Virtuality 2 -although probably heavily modded to allow simulation of army features-, while ArmA2 and OA are already on Real Virtuality 3)

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just highly unlikely to happen.