Sign in to follow this  
RacingLad

Buying units in Freedom Fighters mission

Hello mates, here's the issue:

I get near or inside the barracks or the armory that was build up at the beginning of the mission. I get the option to buy some units and have $300 to spend, but for some reason I just can't get any units. I double click on the unit of my interest but I get no unit nor do they charge me any cash either.

I must be doing something wrong...

RacingLad

You may have to wait a bit after selecting unit to buy, as they take up to 30 sec to spawn. Also, you can only buy a certain number of a given unit type. If you've reached that limit, you get a truncated message like "Can't reinforce, gro." You have to wait for unit "slots" to free up, usually via their destruction.

On another note, see this thread about Freedom Fighters and consider carefully if you should play it now or not:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121765

OMAC is right. But if the problem persists please let us know what patch are you using.

BTW. OMAC I managed to reproduce "Can't reinforce. Gro."-message in Dogs Of War after I had all towns captured and lots of vehicles around. So that message only appears when you have too many vehicles and aircraft in total. Even when I had this message when trying to buy a helicopter, I still manages to buy soldiers. Also I had tested earier that I could not get that message after buying over 300 Crewman (same type of soldier). So I'm 99% sure the this message only comes because of too many vehicles and aircraft.

Once some of your vehicles or aircraft gets destroyed you can again buy more without getting "Can't reinforce. Gro."

Hopefully I got time to put this issue to CIT at some point, just because the text gets truncated in a silly way. It should say something like "Too many vehicles" instead.

Edited by Hanzu

Yep, I've only seen the message when I've tried to buy more than 3 BTRs. In Freedom Fighters, such a limit is preposterous, as you can only have 3 BTRs, and the Russians can have what seem like unlimited numbers of spawned T-90s and APCs from their heavy factory in Elektro. But there may be a limit on how many vehicles they can have, too - I don't know.

It's rather unlikely that this is related to RacingLad's problem. He can't even buy troops! He doesn't have enough $$$ to buy vehicles at that early point, but should be able to buy men. I've never had that problem.

I forget who, but someone told me of a method of quickly moving to Elektro and establishing a base with factory there next to the main strongpoint. As destroying the base is so important to stop spawning, that may be a good idea. I have never moved a main base before - something to do with selecting yourself as commander over AI.

Promblem sounds weird, but when people report issues here they very rarely tell us what patch they use or if they have mods installed. I suspect this issue is because old patch or installed mods.

I have never moved a main base before - something to do with selecting yourself as commander over AI.

Yes. I used that method in Badlans too. Took first 2 towns with AI troops and moved between last 2 towns (Novy Sobor and Stary Sobor), with HQ APC and transformed it as HQ building there. That way it was easy just spawn APCs there and conquer both towns.

In Dogs Of War it is not possible since HQ is already ready when mission starts. There is so much to do in Dogs Of War that I always start with AI commander but at some point of the mission go to talk to him and told him I want to take command for awhile. Someone said you can also switch AI commander on/off in server settings using vote function.

Is there a mobile HQ APC in Freedom Fighters?

When I did Badlands, I started to the NE of Novy Sobor and moved west - I guess the opposite from you. I never moved the base.

Yes, I have seen the AI commander switch in voting function, but rarely used it. In FF, the HQ APC is apparently moveable, but I have never even tried to move it - gotta figure out how to do that sometime. I hope Dwarden fixes FF soon - it is the only official A2/CO/RNF mission or scenario I have not completed with all objectives successful - due to the bug.

Why don't you give FF a shot in 1.10 and see if you encounter the same problems as I (and others) did? If you can complete all objectives successfully without editing scripts, I will consider personally shipping a case of good beer to Finland!

I have the latest patch installed and have ACE mod installed as well. Is ACE mod known to cause this problem?

I don't know. You could disable/remove ACE and see if the problem is resolved. Playing any official mission or scenario using ACE and other mods may cause problems, and A2 is buggy enough as it is.

I have the latest patch installed and have ACE mod installed as well. Is ACE mod known to cause this problem?

I've seen many posts with more experienced Arma series players saying ACE and other mods often (but not always) conflict with official missions.

IMO using mods with official missions equals to cheating anyway, because they just change too many things stirring up in programmed difficulty balance. For example with improved healing functions.

But if you want to keep playing missions like Freedom Fighters (that are buggy even without mods) with ACE, its ofcourse your own decision. Good luck.

Edited by Hanzu

IMO using mods with official missions equals to cheating anyway, because they just change too many things stirring up in programmed difficulty balance. For example with improved healing functions.

I agree 110%. With mods, you're not playing Arma 2.