Sign in to follow this  
Bazul14

Realistic AKs

The current AKs are very hard to aim because of their weird sights. The sights are almost useless at ranges over 100m. I strictly refer to the iron sights, not any scopes/ holograms. I'm referring to the distance and size of the iron sights when aiming. Maybe the next patch can solve that, it would not be too hard.

Yeah, but not everyone has ACE 2 and it would be a lot better to just have good sights in the standard ARMA 2 /OA.

A more major problem with the AK sights is that they are misaligned, pointing slightly downward. Even the front sight's ears aren't visible.

That is relatively fine, you can try to adapt after them, but you can not seriously aim with it. Its like having to use magnifying lenses to just look down the sights because they are so tiny.

I find them fully manageable in the CWR2 mod where the alignment is fixed. You're supposed to use zoom in any case.

I find them fully manageable in the CWR2 mod where the alignment is fixed. You're supposed to use zoom in any case.

So IRL you magically zoom in with your iron sights?! And to be sincere, even for the zoomed in mode, they are too tiny.

So IRL you magically zoom in with your iron sights?! And to be sincere, even for the zoomed in mode, they are too tiny.

Yes. In real life you look at your iron sights with higher resolution than 1920x1204 (or whatever).

And sights appear disproportionately large in Arma 2, as obtaining a passable level of detail by focusing on distant targets make your FoV shrink far belw human levels.

In ACE 2 the AK sights are fixed.

What's that, vanilla ArmA 2 is perfect for you in every way except for one little issue with the size of one specific weapon sight? Install ACE, it will fix that... :rolleyes:

I think the mods should start charging people for responding to these simple suggestions with "get mega-mod-X" replies.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

It has been discussed time and again. Zooming is a feature that makes up for the loss of resolution (due to increased FOV) from viewing the world through a tiny little computer monitor, where IRL things appear bigger.

If ArmA 2 had a real-world perspective to begin with, it'd be like looking through a 1x1ft window placed a couple inches in front of you, unless you played on something like a 3x2 grid of monitors (and if you do then I envy you).

Currently using ace and see no difference? maybe its

a setting or something, i agree with what op is saying tho...

I think they meant that the AK-74M added by ACE has proper sights. But there are other AK replacement mods.

I know, I have them, but it would be a whole lot nicer to have them while online too, not for just 2 servers like now....

Yea, you guys may be forgetting that he doesn't want to download 1Gb+ of mods just to fix some ironsights. That and it doesn't work on many multiplayer servers.

Honestly there's been so many patches out I don't see why those and the M1911 haven't been fixed yet.

Yea, you guys may be forgetting that he doesn't want to download 1Gb+ of mods just to fix some ironsights.

Then download 1 Mb of 1 mod:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9907

The sites will still be small for an ak unless your using the Russian version with the aimdot (dont recall what its called) but this definatley helps.

Then download 1 Mb of 1 mod:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9907

The sites will still be small for an ak unless your using the Russian version with the aimdot (dont recall what its called) but this definatley helps.

Let me help you on this: I think you forgot the MAIN THING

: That and it doesn't work on many multiplayer servers.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

I think that most games are fully used and exploited when playing online. No matter how advanced and intelligent the AI is, fights against a human will be a lot enjoyable and therefore harder. I mean it is fun to play offline and all that, but multiplayer remains the best way to get the best out of a game, and therefore, we need a BIS patch that everyone will get that will fix the AKs in order to play online.

Also, guys, before posting think. I think everyone has heard of ACE and the replaced AKs from Armaholic, but they are virtually unplayable online, with the exception of a few servers that are most of the time empty....

Let me help you on this: I think you forgot the MAIN THING

: That and it doesn't work on many multiplayer servers.

I didn't forget anything as far as the topic is concerned were talking about sp, and I know it works in mp.

I run a vanilla Arma2:CO server with no files but missions and it works like its supposed to.

If it dont work on some servers then its their files on the server that prevents it from working like it should possibly conflicts.

A problem with the AK series in terms of pinpoint accuracy (IRL) has been its sight radius. I don't know how well reflected it is in ArmA, but it's like that at least somewhat.

The think is that AKs are not 100% accurate, but the sights right now suck and prevent any good gameplay with it.

The rear sights of the AK/AKM/AK-74 are located much further from the shooter's eye than most Western rifles due to the moving stock cover. Therefore, they would always appear smaller than most others (i.e. M16/HKs, etc...). This is a well known limitation of the original AK design. Could this be why they appear smaller in the game?

Also, I have just done some quick tests with a plain sight AK-74 in the game (latest beta) and I was able to easily hit the small pop-up targets out to 350-400 meters, which is the most that you would probably expect IRL...

Peace,

DreDay

As you can see the sights are further away making them look smaller. Thats how they are made..

ak47.jpg

surely theres a ticket or something on dev-heaven on this by now. im goin to check the sights on my deactivated ak tomorrow and see what they are like ill try post a pic of how it looks down the sights

AK sight in game is realistic, so what's the problem

AK is not M16

Yeah have you not noticed the sights are further down the gun than the m-4? Take an AK with a scope if you need it rightnext to your eye...

AK sight in game is realistic, so what's the problem

AK is not M16

Do you mean that the way to aim with them is to have the front sight halfway down the rear sight?

you are right about this front sight (but it is model related)

but in general AK has sight line far from eye, like SKS, like Mauser 98K, like all other old bolt action rifles , like STG44 etc.

and in general AK (specially 7.62 ammo) is not as accurate like M16 or M14

it was designed to be "lead spray for mass not educated farmer" in end of 40s

5.45 is more accurate , but real AK is good for ranges 200 meters

only in game you hit someone half mile away from AK, not from old AK"47"/AKM/AKMS used in 70s

Warsaw-Pact had other doctrine than Nato countries (which had more trained soldiers in accurate long distance fire like WW1) , that why in every platoon or even squad there was SVD for (in Nato countries scoped weapons were rare and mostly special trained units) , Warsaw-Pact wanted more powerfull shorter weapon for quantity of mobile troops (BMP transport) not M16 or M14

AK (specially 7.62) is not equal counterpart of M14 or M16 , it is counterpart of "stronger M4A1", not "longer range field rifle" (for this purpose SVD was given massively to every platoon or even squad )

west had : longer range , less maneuverable field rifles (M14, M16, G3, FAL) and snipers with super sniper rifles

east had : mass use shorter rifle and marksman rifles also much more often seen than any sniper in west elite (quantity of strike over quality would work for force-enlisted workers, farmers etc. )

i like what one man on Youtube said "AK has first position to full auto, because it is designed as much stronger submachinegun to blow up all in short range"

regarding AK74 (full lenght) it was other way, USSR wanted more accuracy on further range too

Edited by vilas