Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

[ADO] Vostok

[ADO] Vostok : the Vostok project is based upon publicly released or unreleased small projects gathered in an archipelago, main items are Pomegratskaya -Winter version released for ArmA2- and Surfong-Ri publicly unreleased and some other items gathered on a 20 km x 20 km map with a lot of water on it. Probable location : Kuril islands area.

Surfon Ostrov in the North-West is hosting the Zvezda soviet secret rocket/missile project, a large air base, an harbour, a small town and some military and scientific facilities.

Nikto Ostrov is a large forested island mainly used as prison and hosting many camps from the Gulag network, a sawmill and a well known mine ...

Pomegratskaya in the South East has been for a long era an harbour for the Czar fleet and was heavily fortified as it was on a very disputed border. So the island is still covered with remains of fortifications and military facilities from different eras.

Here are WIP screens from Vostok v.03 alpha. Still working on objects and buildings placement, adding new features on the large NiKto Ostrov.

vostok03alpha_1s.jpg

- Surfon Ostrov : Zvezda Tracking Station -

vostok03alpha_2s.jpg

- Pomegratskaya : Zadrovie Air Base -

@all : thanks :D

@Gnat : my intend was to get a map with a large water surroundings for nice naval opérations, but on the 40 km x 40 km I have built first I was unable to select and move objects in Visitor3 so I had to size it down ... now it works, now what I will need the most will be some decent landing ships of various size ... it seems all the guys working on such naval units have given up.

Edited by Old Bear

40x40 would have been nice .... but oh well.

The bug with Visitor is odd because my "Sands" terrain was 42x42km and I was able to edit it.

Is it all objects you can't move or just some?

On the previous 40 km x 40 km version island were more spaced so even in 10 km view distance one island can't be seen from the other one. I have started importing buildings and artificials objects from Pomegratskaya, so it was in the South-East corner ....

Now in the 20 km x 20 km version, each island can be seen from each other, but even in 10 km view distance you can hardly have a look on the 3 together ^^.

Vostok island layout as it is now:

Vostok_Map1s.jpg

And some eye candy apart from technical discussion, a pic featuring some heavy fight over Vostok during a test session :

over_vostok1s.jpg

Lots of possibilities here. I'm pretty much a warfare player and this could be a great "fight for the center" type of map.

You got the point, man !

In fact, each small islands, Pomegratskaya and Surfong-Ri, were built with PvP in mind.

I have done once a CTF on northern part Pomegrat on ArmA, but as I am not a good mission maker I havn't port it from ArmA to ArmA2.

When the idea about this project came .... because I was stuck in rebuilding Brik, porting Sbrodjistan to ArmA2:OA, looking for new features to populate Tigeria island ... I had CTI in mind.

The [ADO]Vostok project is slowly going on :cool:

- Vostok air base is now featuring a runway long enough to accommodate IL-76 in good conditions. Control tower moved aside at Gnat suggestion ^^.

- Zadrovie air base air strip a bit longer but need some skill for an IL-76 pilot to go to make a U-turn while parking.

- Grass airstrips added on Nikto island.

- Beton's bunkers added on Pomegrastskaya.

I have built a new Vostok Winter version of the map featuring Beton's winter vegetation.

Here are pics of an early training flying session on Gnat's AN-72, testing STOL capacity of this versatile plane on grass airstrips :

flyovervostokw1.jpg

flyovervostokw2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Since November 2010, the map is playable and we -at Clan ADO- are having a lot of fun playing various test missions ... even a PVP based on The Few Mod we had to shortened due to issues on MP with this Mod ... too bad.

At the moment, even if they are not finished from my point of view as some features are still not present, Vostok and Vostok_Winter maps are quite playable and enjoyable but I do prefer play some more test missions with my Clan mates before release.