Sign in to follow this  
b00tsy

[SP/COOP) Call to glory

OA

US Spec-Ops (SP/Co06)

calltoglory.jpg

Your team is being send out to locate and clear out the militia controled villages within the ao.

In total there are eleven villages you need to sweep, but only 4 villages are under control of the militia (to make it more fun).

You will have to approach all villages carefully, because you do not know if it will be a friendly village or not.

The militia troops are well trained so don't be careless approaching a militia village.

They have no problem giving you a head shot from half a click away.

They will be patrolling in the village, occupying the houses and standing on the look out on roofs.

When you enter a friendly village you will get the green light to go to the next village (village turns to green) very quickly.

To get the green light in a militia controled village you will have to eliminate all militia men within the village.

Features:

- Dynamic villages

- Civil traffic

- Radio support (1x artillery)

- Support (press 5,1) med evac chopper, rearm, refuel, repair, med tryker

(support will take a long time to arrive except for the med-evac chopper)

- Music & sounds

- Environment effects

- Garbage collecting (deleting dead bodies)

- Custom sounds

- Side missions

- Respawn & parajump

v1.5

Call to glory 1.51 Armaholic mirror

Call to glory 1.51

Call to glory 1.53 (donwload button is on the right bottom of the page, NOT the advert in the middle)

V1.2

-Moved the position of the support vehicles closer to the ao. Still you can't depend to much on the support trucks as the AI can get stuck sometimes when driving long distances. The med evac chopper does provide support fairly quickly.

-Edited the militia villages a bit more to make it harder to clear.

V1.3

- Added group dialogs

- Added mission hints

- Added objective dialogs

- Tweaked the militia villages (first village is easyer)

- Added extra objective (becomes available after clearing 4 militia villages)

V1.4

- Added extra playable unit

- Added auto save points

- Added extra rearm points (including coyote backpacks)

- Added new fun side mission (available after clearing 2 militia villages)

- Decorated insertion point

---------

1.5 update note:

I have spend a lot of time on upgrading the atmoshpere in the towns (friendly towns only atm). Most villages will now feel more alive and real because of all the nice arabic sound loops. Also I have added several dynamic environment sounds such as a nice smooth cricket loops. And I have learned more scripting things and implemented it in this mission, the mission feels much more finished now, will add more though when I learn more scripting. Feedback is appriciated :)

V1.5

- Added custom sounds (environment & friendly towns)

- Added several side missions

- Possibility of IED's (road bombs)

- Possibility of road ambushes

- Respawn (coop)

- Wound healing (you are able to heal yourself 3 times)

- Flagpole parajump after a respawn you can parajump anywhere on the map (coop)

- Added dialogs

- upgraded how the objective markers function

- Reduced the artillery support to 1x

- Support vehicles are visible on the map (v1.51 coop only)

V1.51 Coop

- Reworked how the objective markers work. They are now activated by any Bluefor unit.

- Fixed the parajump

- Added visible map markers to all support vehicles.

- Added the full mission map so that it can be played online with all the custom sounds. Not sure if only the server needs the map or all players for the sounds to work.

V1.53 Coop

(hopefully) Fixed the 'out of memory' issue.

Hint:

Use the coyote backpacks if you want to carry a lot more ammo (can't be used in combination with MG). Customize all your men at the start of the mission, default they carry some non needed attributes such as colored smoke and IR strobes.

Edited by B00tsy
mission update

Can you pls get this uploaded on Armaholic?

File Share sites don't always work for me.

Thanks

Can you pls get this uploaded on Armaholic?

File Share sites don't always work for me.

Thanks

Yeah, it is available on ArmAholic too now.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

does the enemy recapture villages??

No they don't recapture villages, but as it is now it will take you already a couple of hours to sweep and clear all villages. I havent figured out yet to create spawning enemies at a cleared ao. Atm i'm already glad that the things I did add work :)

Feel free to edit the mission yourself though!

Tried this and I realy like it :)

One thing though:

- Support (press 5,1) med evac chopper, rearm, refuel, repair, med tryker, supply.

When you say "supply" do you mean men? Because at the 3rd village I was down to 2 men (incl me) and dead burnt out transport, so I was looking how to reinforce with some men but could not see it. Is there a chance (unless I blatantly missed it) to implement a reinforcement action so you can re-supply your group with replacements? Or even an evac pickup (evac to cover if you loose transport) so you have to return to base to "recruit" at the start location, your max recruit is the size of you initial squad.

I understand you need to play it right to retain not getting wiped out, but in long term play mission like this I thought it would be right to have it implemented in some way.

Also could vehicle drop be introduced to request a drop of new transport vehicle if yours gets wiped out?

Also I notice towns turn to green and you get an audible blip, but could a top right notification show/or radio text reply show notifying "*town name* is clear" or something like that.

Is the start and end location marker/position random? Could it be so you approach things different per play?

-Moved the position of the support vehicles closer to the ao. Still you can't depend to much on the support trucks as the AI can get stuck sometimes when driving long distances. The med evac chopper does provide support fairly quickly.

Any chance that the supply can be transferred over so it is almost all Heli based?

Just some thoughts as I played, really enjoyed it, sort of SP mission ive been to lazy too create myself :)

BTW sorry if ive missed some glaringly obvious things and all my requests exist already :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Thanks man, glad you like it :)

The mission was made with the limited scripting skills I currently have lol. I would like to add some of the things you suggested, but I can't yet.

I could add a simple support module that you can use, but the mission then would become unbalanced easy with all the unlimited support. With the right strategy it is already on the easy side. You already have 2x artillery support.

You can disregard the word "supply", I tried to make that work (supply drop), but removed it later.

What I do in SP mode is that I place the AI team mates at good overwatch positions around the militia town and let them overwatch a direction (hold fire) and then when your men are in place you start sniping some militia men and give your men the order to open fire. A lot of the militia will come after you and will be taken care of by your team. At the first militia village I order my team mates inside buildings of the first compound on the edge of the village and lure the militia in to the compound where you can easily take them out with good cover.

And keep your transport outside the village area's that way it will not get blown up :) you can always use a civil vehicle (they should all be unlocked) to get around when needed.

I wanted the mission to be challenging where you have to use some strategy to clear all villages and to take your time to set up the assault, no rush involved :)

I agree with the tactics side though.

I had transport gunner over-watch and cover from far hill but it took and RPG (so 1 ai down as the gunner) and then 2 moved into position but got hit by static gun.

I will try more approaches though, really like it.

If your scripting is an issue you could always introduce Mando's Bombing console, which you can tailor for calling in any evac/drop in reinforcements, ammo drop, sort of BI's attempt but much more controllable with many parameters to tailor exactly the things you want on/off etc.

you can always use a civil vehicle (they should all be unlocked) to get around when needed

Ah yes, silly I didn't think this one through :)

Either way as-is this is great, but I cant help wanting to know I could at least replenish a squad (limited times and numbers which you can have with mando console).

If its not something you would want consider then its no issue at all, just throwing it out there :)

Yeah the static defense on the roofs are pretty nasty, you might want to take those out first before leaving cover and advancing into the village. :)

Btw, I order the support trucks now from cleared village to the next cleared village, that way they stay close and can reach you fast when you need them. The evac chopper can stay at the support starting point.

hey,

two things we noticed playing that mission (MP):

- regular medic and SpecOps together doesnt look right (cosmetic issue)

- 1 life?

Seriously,is this ment to be like that?

1 life to complete all those stuff with 5 men?

The mission setup reads nicely and i guess the idea is a good one too,but the no revive stuff ruins this for me ...

I would greatly appreciate it if you would add any sort of revive/respawn in it for MP

Cheers

hey,

two things we noticed playing that mission (MP):

- regular medic and SpecOps together doesnt look right (cosmetic issue)

- 1 life?

Seriously,is this ment to be like that?

1 life to complete all those stuff with 5 men?

The mission setup reads nicely and i guess the idea is a good one too,but the no revive stuff ruins this for me ...

I would greatly appreciate it if you would add any sort of revive/respawn in it for MP

Cheers

Heya,

I have created it as a sp mission, but also made the team mates playable so that it can be played as coop. So the mission is still basically set up for sp mode, but is usable as coop.

The ideas to create nice missions are there, but I still need to learn a lot about the scripting and all the command lines etc. So i'm afraid that respawn or revive I can't do yet. I will look in to it though :)

Look at it this way, in real life combat you don't have a second life either. When your dead, you are dead lol. In sp mode I have no problem finishing the mission with all my men alive and kicking, but then again the AI team mates are very good and accurate.

The medic is indeed a bit odd and should not be in the coop version. I added him to sp to make it a bit easyer, but he might also be helpful in coop.

I will add some more things to this mission including a revive as soon as I know how :)

Updated the mission. Only tested it in SP mode.

V1.3

- Added group dialogs

- added mission hints

- Added objective dialogs

- Tweaked the militia villages (first village is easyer)

- Added extra objective (becomes available after clearing 4 militia villages)

When I try to start the mission I get this "no entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds.3) - Arma OA'.

and get sent back to scenario meny :(

Update: This is when i try SP, MP seems to work ok.

I just checked and it is working fine for me in SP. Not sure why you receive an error message.

Just tried this mission and I really liked it. Some things to consider:

-The squad MG uses 7.62 belts however the ammunition truck only carries 5.56 belts. Being the MG he runs out of ammo very quickly too.

-Perhaps add one more squad member so you can have 2 in the SOV as a gun platform and a full fireteam with boots on the ground.

-It'd be great if you put in a save after every town. Right now it's too punishing if you play on a harder difficulty with limited saves.

I've most likely missed some instruction but how do you use the UAV?

0-0-1 to activate (which is misspelled by the way "Aplha Command") and 0-8-1-1 to call in but then what?

Does the map update with markers that the UAV discovers or is there a command to switch to UAV view? can't seem to find a way to control it.

Ahh thanks, haven't noticed that typo, will change that with the next update :)

Yeah the UAV are just marker on the map that shows where the enemy troops are. Still helpful in case you you encounter a militia village where you can't find the last enemy unit.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Just tried this mission and I really liked it. Some things to consider:

-The squad MG uses 7.62 belts however the ammunition truck only carries 5.56 belts. Being the MG he runs out of ammo very quickly too.

-Perhaps add one more squad member so you can have 2 in the SOV as a gun platform and a full fireteam with boots on the ground.

-It'd be great if you put in a save after every town. Right now it's too punishing if you play on a harder difficulty with limited saves.

Glad you like it :)

Atm it has a default ammo support truck in the mission. I will try to add custom ammo to it, have to check the wiki for that :o . Half way in the mission are weapon crates that contains the right ammo so for now you can rearm there. The crates are at the center of the AO. Also at the start of the mission you can customize your men (they are all playable) and add some extra magazines in the back pack and take out the colored smoke etc that wont be used in the mission anyway.

Yeah I noticed too that a group of 6 would be better, I also have that the AI team mates are not using the main gun even though they are all in the SOV. I will add 1 extra unit to the group next update.

I did see somewhere how to add a save command in a trigger, will have to check the wiki for that too or ask someone here how thats done. I am still pretty new to all that scripting stuff .

Thanks for the feedback :)

I thought Id post back some more since having some great fun with this mission.

Would it be possible to have the radio commands set as permanent, or at least set for more than one time option, once you call in a strike per option, its then gone from radio to re-run via the menu again, its nice with this type of misson to at least have more than one stab at at arty/recon (unless I missed something of course).

Would be nice to maybe have 3 vehicles at the start point, 1 an empty repair truck (to repair any damage by RTB after some time in battle which you could place one of your own Ai in to move around with), 1 the vehicle you have already, and 2 a backup which is a HUMVEE with much more Armour with a gun for options and backup vehicle.

I notice that placement of Fuel pumps are quite close on the map, but maybe make that more of a feature for refuel in the notes, its surprising who wont know to refuel at those locations unless made clearer.

6 man team I agree on also.

I notice that the heavy gunner ran out of ammo, I returned back to the main start point to rearm and also tried via the vehicle and there didnt seem to be the correct ammo type for that gun in either, am I missing something?

Save triggers would be good but I run on Veterine and simply select save to be on permanent anyway.

As I said before, I still think at least a reinforcement of team request would be good if your down to say 3 men or something.

Does the map update with markers that the UAV discovers or is there a command to switch to UAV view? can't seem to find a way to control it.
Yes how do you control it? I noticed a few markers came up but not as many as to how many AI were in the town though, would be so much better if the UAV was controllable to view & plan, again if im missing something then ignore :)

Also flying a uav over the town area triggered the "300 meters on rooftops" radio reply on first village way before I got into the trigger, is that right?

Realy like it though.

Edited by mrcash2009

Heya mrcash, glad you like it man.

I could add all the things you suggested like extra vehicles and extra radio support, but the mission would then do not do justice anymore to the mission title :) . It was not my intention to create an easy mission, but more a heroic mission, a challenge.

As more people are requesting for an easier version I think I will create 2 different versions. The current version that I will make a bit harder again and an easy one with unlimited support and with more vehicles and rearm points. I might also make the militia villages a bit easier while I am at it.

The UAV is not connected to a terminal, hence why you only see it with temporary markers on your map. I will change the triggers so that the UAV does not set of the triggers, forgot to group them with the player.

Yeah the SOV only contains basic ammo. I want to have all units to have backpacks in the next version so they can carry more ammo (MG units don't have backpacks now). Will have to dig in the wiki for that. As I said before, i'm pretty new to all the scripting stuff and don't have time to study the wiki and the editing forum every day, but eventually this mission will be great hehe :D

Everyone can edit the mission too if they like, it's public domain. I saw that one version was edited with spawn points for coop mode already.

Well, I guess you could call the request easier, but I would say a little more realistic to the challenge you face town by town, ammo used in suppression and the length of the journey. Some people are using veteran+ with AI enhancements too so it raises the bar of the challenge.

Maybe the support doesn't have to be permanent (just a limited amount other than one only) and one extra vehicle is only a backup, plus repair vehicle helps.

Although if it is public domain and your cool with it I might have a go at making some changes if your ok with it mate :)

Yes backpacks, that would be good :)

Its just that the challenge is good but if something happens where vehicle gets damaged (wheels) at least a chance to repair is good, other than salvaging any other vehicle, more ammo stocks (backpacks like you mention) to help when your in situation that AI are tricky and your suppressing. And only a one shot deal with arty/uav for the amount of towns you might need to recon would be better if its more than once (but not permanent).

I pretty much taken the first 2 towns, and vehicle had basic damage, and 1 AI ran out of ammo (that being the one where the ammo type wasn't available the heavy gunner) so I returned to orig location to get ammo but couldn't get what I needed, and no repair for vehicle if I encounter even 1 more hit later in the mission on the rest of the towns. So repair truck covers it, and the extra hummer would be better armour "option" to take depending on what you come up against in the mission. A balance as apposed to "easy" I would say. The amount of AI in the towns I would say is just right, but a little bit more backup for friendly under some circumstances would just balance it a bit more.

Again, enjoying it though, love missions with a number of objectives and tools to do the job over time.

Edited by mrcash2009

There is already truck support available in the mission (rearm, refuel, repair) so you can call them in when needed (5,1). In fact, it's best to call them every time you cleared a militia village so that they stay close to your position.

I tried to add backpacks to the machine gunners yesterday, but it is not possible to add it due to a weight limit I think. When the backpack is attached they will lose the machine gun. Maybe I will rearm them with an other weapon or place some lose backpacks next to the ammo crates so you can decide yourself what to do.

I personally do not use the SOV to take out militia men, only for transport. When I am near a village I just park it somewhere and then find a good spot for my men to overwatch the town. I let my AI men hold fire till the militia men are close enough. From long distance (+300 meters) the MG units use up a lot of ammo with out killing the militia or just a few.

I have the advantage of knowing where the militia men are in general, because I placed them myself so not sure how others play the mission. :)

I take the stealth approach to get in range of the villages and make sure my team mates have decent cover when proned, then I take out some militia men, they will advance to my position (just what I wanted) and then let my team open fire when the militia are close enough. That will take care of most militia men. Of course there are still militia left in houses or hiding behind walls etc. Only the static defenses on the roofs are pretty nasty, they have to be taken out first.

I will hopefully upload the next version in a few days, with extra auto saves and everything else I am able to add/script :)

Sorry Bootsy I missed something painfully obvious about repair/refuel, that's completely my fault not seeing that (dear me), I will slap myself in the face for that one *slap* :)

I think its becuase the 5,1 option for some reason I dont use that much and when playing I forget to use it more often, note-to-self .... "5+1!" :)

I personally do not use the SOV to take out militia men, only for transport. When I am near a village I just park it somewhere and then find a good spot for my men to overwatch the town. I let my AI men hold fire till the militia men are close enough. From long distance (+300 meters) the MG units use up a lot of ammo with out killing the militia or just a few.

I have been doing similar things, but I think MG got the vehicle while en route through hills to the side as i was trying to flank. I like to approach much the same, although the ammo thing was a niggle as they unloaded a fair amount overwatching an area.

Consider my recent posts null & void, I should use my eyes better next time.

Hey no problem, it will be a lot easier when you use the support :)

I have updated the mission (1.4) and added some of the things that were suggested in this thread!

Has 1.4 been uploaded to armaholic yet? Don't wanna have to answer some survey just to download this.

No it has not been updated yet there. Some one else updates the download link on armaholic. The other site lets you choose between several different download sites such as rapidshare. There are no surveys, maybe an advert pop up, but thats it.

Edited by B00tsy
grammar