mikebart

mikebart's Project's

Mana Island NZ

ui_selectisland_mana_ca.jpg

This is really a showcase island for "mikebart's Vegetation" and "mikebart's Rock's", no buildings or any other BIS objects (except sky and ocean and roads of course)

That said, I'd still be interested in seeing what sort of missions people make for it even though it resembles a golf course rather than a theatre of war :).

The roads were all placed using Homer Johnstons "Road Painter Tool".

All the trees were placed by hand, but i used the fantastic 'World Tools' by shezan74 to place the tussock and the rocks.

I plan to build on to the island more and more as i gradually create more objects, possibly even buildings later down the track.

Information and Screenshots: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mb-manaisland

Download (v0.7beta): http://www.mediafire.com/?vj3a3qah837fn99

Requirements:

mikebart's Vegetation:

mbvegbanner.jpg

This package currently includes six variations of Ulmus (Elm) trees, (3 different sizes, each with an Ivy covered version), an assortment of grasses and other clutter an Ulmus bush and a Tussock bush.

This is a beta release, so there are a few bugs that need to be sorted, aswell as some things that simply arent finished, but these issues shouldnt cause any problems for the user.

Information and Screenshots: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mb-veg

Download mikebart's Vegetation (v0.9): http://www.mediafire.com/?3ow1ons8tqjthvm

Download mikebart's Vegetation MLODS (v0.9): http://www.mediafire.com/?sc13rgxgh2uhwnd

mikebart's Vegetation Lite:

This package is an optimized version of "mikebarts Vegetation", personally it has'nt given me a very big performance boost, as I think my hard drive is the bottle neck for my PC, but it might help for others.

Download (v0.7beta): http://www.mediafire.com/?e7l1um7c1d7grzd

mikebart's Rock's

mb_r_banner01.jpg

This package currently includes an object of a group of rocks, and four variations of rock ledges. The rock ledges are fully walkable (be careful not to fall off or you'll get hurt), you can also drive onto them pretty fluidly depending on the angle of where the terrain meets the mesh.

At the moment there are no AI path nodes, although i did experiment with them i never actually got them to work, although the AI do use the ledges for cover quite effectivly.

Information and Screenshots: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mb-rocks

Download (v0.7beta): http://www.mediafire.com/?i9bw4vabwvkta04

Thanks to everyone on BIS forums and skype who have helped out (too many to name!) Also, big thanks to the DevHeaven Team for providing a place to host my mods. Thanks in advance to all the hosting sites.

Im pretty keen to hear peoples honest opinions and criticisms about my work, I could probably write a 10 page list myself of things I personally think need improvement so please dont hold back.

Edited by mikebart
  • Thanks 1

I feel like David Attenborough visiting a strange new land, looking at all the trees and rocks. Just need some exotic animals on there and we have a new series .... 'Life on Mana'

Good job. Will test later.

Loved your grass improvements etc. for A1 and will check this one out as well!

Keep it up!

/KC

This looks very promising...

... but I fear I can't get it to work.

ArmA crashes on loading.

Last .rpt-message before crash:

Warning Message: Cannot open object mikebart\mb_rocks\mb_r_small01.p3d

No other mods used, tried both ArmA2 & CO.

(and: YES I have downloaded the rock & vegetation addons too).

Cheers,

D.

My game crashes too (launching OA).

ok, sorry guys, ill try and get to the bottom of this asap, thanks for downloading though, and stay tuned

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

hey guys, can one of you please download this quick fix and copy it over the mb_manaisland.pbo and bsign?, and let me know how you go, thanks!

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/7368/mb_manaisland_quickfix01.rar

It works, with an error when loading the island in editor:

Config: 'ilsDirection' array doesn't have 3 entries

But it loaded and was "playable"

yep ok no major problems then, thanks big, ill sort that out, im so glad I seperated the layers from the config :)

ill upload fixed version, thanks again

Hey mate, didnt know anyone was in the middle of making a mod for objects etc,...

would it be possible that you make a hedgerow? Im after some to finish off my island Nicosia! Hedgerows is all I need now.

Thanks man!

Edit, just going to check your mod out too, would you mind I use some of the things on my map?

Checkback: wow! nice... ive just been over the island, walked around/drove around a bit and nice stuff! its all fitting for my island

if you allow me to use it? just 1 problem, is this bush:

pic1.jpg

You cant walk through it, crawl through it, or even step over some of them, lol...

Other than that! id love to use it... and would really love some hedgerows too... ;)

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

It works, with an error when loading the island in editor:

Config: 'ilsDirection' array doesn't have 3 entries

But it loaded and was "playable"

Oh yeah, same problem here too ... :o

Edited by DarkXess

Really great to see some totally unique island assets.

Rocks are fantastic.

I love the 'single track' paths you've added.

I like the way you've done distance vegetation, with that sort of blurred effect.

Would be nice to see some field flowers at some point in the future, break up the green a bit.

Tussocks are great and their issues have already been mentioned.

Perhaps you could work out a way of changing what grows beneath the trees, have some cleared earthy area, dead leaves etc.

This is just my opinion; but I feel the fluorescent green is too heavy when compared to the ground texture, especially the case when time is set to sunrise or sunset, as the ground appears to get much darker.

All in all, an awesome addition, and I would say don't feel you need to add building or anything else, I personally love the 'wilderness' aspect of the island.

Thanks for the comments guys, nice shot hurby :)

@Darkxess, I'd like to get the tussock so that you can walk through it but have it offer some resistance, its one of the last plants I worked on and it needs a bit more work. Ill eventually make some tussock clutter aswell.

Ill see how I go with the hedgerows, its actually something i've considered earlier.

@Icebreaker, thanks, i really want to change the water colour to make it a bit blue'er could you let me know some time how you do it?

@Electricleash, thanks for the comments, Ill definitly look into making some flowers, I think theres plenty of room for more clutter and some new colours would help out alot.

Perhaps you could work out a way of changing what grows beneath the trees, have some cleared earthy area, dead leaves etc.

I agree with you there, I've been thinking of ditching the Ivy growing under the trees and also removing it from the ground texture. Earlier versions of the trees actually had Ivy growing up the trunks so it was fitting at that time, but dead leaves and twigs would be more fitting now that the island has more of a dryer feel too it.

About the ground appearing darker at sunset/sunrise, ill try and address this in the next full release by tweaking ambient values of the grass and/or the ground textures, hopefully it can be fixed.

mikebart: open up my Panthera and see the water definition. Make sure you change the class name so its unique to your island. You can add me to MSN/ICQ/Skype if you need full info.

Beautiful work.

I especially like how you've made the trees low LODs slightly blurred out. A really efficient way of giving a realistic 'look' for those of us who prefer PP disabled.

Ground-clutter's just lovely, too. I was trying to think where in the world this flora reminded me of... .

Lovely island :)

I love your custom rocks, clutter, trees & bushes.

I couldn't help to make a quick mission for this:

[TKotH-30] DIH Fight for Mana Island

dihmana.jpg

Get it here:

http://www.filefront.com/17178928/DIH_MANA.mb_manaisland.pbo/

It's a quite straightforward Team King of the Hill Mission for 1-30 players.

3-Sided: Takistani Army vs. CDF vs. Takistan Militia - makes for a nice battle with 'older' equipment.

You can leave AI on and they will try to do something productive.

Features include Spawn Base Protection, Revive by Bon_Inf*, Vehicle Respawn by Tophe.

Requires CO & Mana Island.

Thanks again for this very nice island!

Cheers,

D.

P.S.: a server key would be nice!

all the vegetation is impressive:) , very good work, and certainly but used it to people to create maps.

thanks.

Ahh now thats a very beautiful island, mikebart! Very beautiful!

The cliffs on the one side of Mana are like Omaha Beach.

Keep it going! :)

I did some photoshooting today, as USMC had its landing batallion combat training on the island. MEU Forces on 6.6.2011 on refreshment training before being deployed to Takistan:

arma2oa2010080623295620.th.png

USMC troops secure beachhead and establish supply network

arma2oa2010080623411109.th.png

USMC Fireteam advancing on tall grass towards road, where "enemy" Abrams are advancing

arma2oa2010080623414988.th.png

Picture of beautyful nature of the island

In 2013, a US C130 fuel system broke in midair, but pilots were able to make crashland on the islands shore, both pilots were found alive, other had broken leg and he was stuck in cockpit, but he survived thanks to Quick Reacting U.S.Army medical personnel, who deployed to crash-zone asap with Uh60-mev.

arma2oa2010080623530570.th.png

US.Army medical personnel run out of Uh60 to look for survivors and transport them to nearby Fort Eve

I tried it out. It's really an awesome island and alot more could be added to make it even better. The only problem is it runs horribly!

I'm running it in OA, technically CO.

It just doesnt run good. :(

Everything, including the ground textures looks AMAZING!

I know what ya talking 'bout enad. I get 25-30 FPS on the island, whereas on Chernarussian countryside I get 45-60 and on takistan I get 55-60. Utes is constant 55-60 aswell.

Wow I love what I can see so far. Can you release more screenshots showing the different kinds of vegetation and trees? Just want a good feel for it because the effect you have with the improved shading really creates a convincing scene :)