Sign in to follow this  
sas troop

[SP] Tales of Cold Spring 1989 EP1: Human Wave

Tales of Cold Spring 1989: Episode I

Human Wave

US defend against CSLA assault

Some time ago I started working on episodic missions covering fights near Czechoslovak border in fictional conflict in 1989. Why Czech? Because Chernarussian towns/villages are nearly written in Czech :P

Here you have 1st of 3 episodes I am going to release. All of them are linked with each other:

WW3 has begun in Europe.

Warsaw Pact tanks rolling through West Germany, Austria being invaded by Hungarians, Greece retreating on whole front, Turkey digging in on Istanbul outskirts, Norwegians deploying in forests, explosions on shores on Denmark - this is landscape of March 1989.

US 2nd "Indianhead" Division is stationing near Regensburg, when conflict spreads out. Advancing few kilometres into Czechoslovak border, division fall into the trap of feint retreat. After securing Zelonogorsk 3rd CSLA Mechanized Division strikes back and exposes flank of 1st Battalion in Zelonogorsk. Outnumbered Americans set up defensive positions around that town, when reds suddenly attack Zelena Hora, where only 2nd Platoon, 2nd Company is located.

Due to critical situation, leader of that platoon, lieutenant John Davidson decides to defend the hill against numerous tanks and mechanized vehicles rolling from Pustoszka and Myszkino.

Mission mechanics:

- Czernarussians in role of CSLA :P

- Nearly full voice acting. Good or bad? Well, at least we tried!

- Extensive briefing

- Difficulty. Betatester called it "F*cken hardcore"

- Custom music

- Game options to control settings. This mission is not bad CPU friendly, because...

- ...features massive assault, rather rare in today's counter-insurgency warfare.

- Positive and negative ending

Known bugs:

Probably all have been removed. If any report me ASAP.

Future plans:

- Bikb instead of quite old titlecut/cuttext

- Absolutely full voice acting

- I have to improve my cutscene-making skills, but I don't think its as bad :P

SCREENSHOTS:

promoit.jpg

promo2s.jpg

promo3no.jpg

Download link:

Armaholic mirror:

- Tales of Cold Spring 1989: Episode I (@)

Speedyshare (7MB)

Required Addons:

Project '85 available at Vilas' Addon Release Topic

Or direct Armaholic Links:

- Project '85 Units

- Project '85 Vehicles

- Project '85 Weapons

- Project '85 Config

ArmA 2 (NOT FOR ARROWHEAD!!!) patched to 1.07

Edited by SaS TrooP

This was a fun mission but a bit difficult for me.

I took out the last tank during the first wave myself, noticed loud rambling and thought "Time the get the hell out of here".

The problem with that was, in playing OA combined version, all my squad mate stay in the Danger mode and they don't high tail their asses back to HQ, thereby getting killed on the way up.

But still enjoyed the mission mucho.

Mission itself was designed only for ArmA 2. About running away, this is kidna bug not feature: P'85 medic is not working, while I cant heal at original USMC one, too (you probably noticed USMC 2008+ medic under the netting). Only place where you can in fact heal is field hospital at HQ and AI knows about it, so they go there for healing, but rarely come back on post. Unfortunately I dunno how to fix it, putting new hospital on the front line is not best idea IMHO.