Sign in to follow this  
darkxess

Island Of Nicosia

Island Of Nicosia [for arma 2]

Version: Beta v4.5

Release Date: 18th July 2010

Last Update: 7th September 2010

Notes: This island is currently under development and very much a work in progress.

*Please, if you take pictures/videos of my islands/maps etc, please put a link here too so that I and others can see my work!

you may think its stupid but its just a feeling of gratitude from others from my work! Thank You.

Details: The Island Of Nicosia is an island built mainly for jungle warfare, with vigorous mountainous terrain.

With the main US airbase in the south west of the island which is very big and can withstand any amount of aircraft as of this moment.

The Airbase will be your life line in and around the island, with main roads through and around the place there is possible chances

to be ambushed by enemy forces, including rebels. Jungles compared to the movie "southern comfort" where a squad of marines get

lost in a hillbilly forest then hunted!

To be done: Cities, Offtrack roads, Named areas, Electric powergrid, Power lines, more clutter/bushes etc (only trees so far), street lighting,

2 main bridges linking the island (need help with this), mountain top military base, swamps, big open areas toned down to more cqb style areas,

plus tonnes more! (suggestions etc are very welcome)

Features: 26 Cities/Towns, Colour Modules (from Sumrak "Namalsk"), CEG Power Grid Support, Aircraft Carrier Support, Big city docks,

Mountain top military base / Miles and Miles of dense jungle and swamps / Years of warfare all over, ie; bunkers, wrecks, ruins.

To use the Colour Module, its in your modules part in the editor! its much better using it as this map im trying to get it that darker feeling!

Also, try playing at night with a mist/fog... its great gaming on this map at night ;)

MP Missions: Domination2 for Nicosia Maps

Pics:

Airports.jpg Towns.jpg Bridges.jpg

Map:

pic4.jpg

Download: Download Now!

Known Issues: In Beta Testing.

Special Thanks: Bushlurker, Sumrak, Katipo66, MikeBart, also BIS for a great game.

Edited by DarkXess

Sounds interesting, will give it a go, thanks.

Your welcome, please do let me know your thoughts and ideas about how to improve it if possible, thanks... ;)

Just gave it a quick fly over... i like the mountain forests and size of the island... i see where the southern city will be :) keep up the good work i look forward to making some Guerrilla warfare style missions on this Island once its finished.

Just gave it a quick fly over... i like the mountain forests and size of the island... i see where the southern city will be :) keep up the good work i look forward to making some Guerrilla warfare style missions on this Island once its finished.

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah its turned out nice with the hilly terain and the amount of trees! lol "I dont want to see another tree again" I copy and pasted so many to make it that way, I coudnt get used to a tool so did it the hard way! around 6 hours it took me to tree the whole island, lol.

Just to mention also that the Airbase is in the South West of the island! fully functional too day/night ... needs a fence around it etc but its going good, another day or so and ill have alot more to add.

Keep posted. :D

would love more help from experienced island makers building bridges etc, as this is my first project! im still in need of help.

Release "Nicosia.7z" with 1 pbo inside, well let me help you out:

PMC Editing Wiki: how to release

If you have more questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help.

So is it based on Cyprus?

A bit confusing, isn't it? No, much different vegetation. Looks great, though!

So is it based on Cyprus?

Was planning on to, then I decided to make it my own way, but went with

the name Nicosia.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Release "Nicosia.7z" with 1 pbo inside, well let me help you out

You mean the source files mate? ...

sounds like a new "kolgujev", years of warfare :)

I really hope you get that feeling, my suggestion is to try make it more depressive.. darker grass, more dead trees in the forests where its been artillery fire.

sounds like a new "kolgujev", years of warfare :)

I really hope you get that feeling, my suggestion is to try make it more depressive.. darker grass, more dead trees in the forests where its been artillery fire.

Its exactly what I want to do, if you have already played on it.. its too green and not so dark yet! im also waiting for the permission to use the "Namalsk" colour module on it, ive tried it out and gives it a much better feeling.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway :)

You mean the source files mate? ...

Please read the guide I linked, all is explained there.

Please read the guide I linked, all is explained there.

Sorry mate, missunderstood you at first, now I understand.

Ill release it as 7zip in next update, should be some time soon.

Hi Darkxess...

Had a quick flyover and wander around on this version... Looking Good! - it's coming together just nicely!

I liked granQ's Kolgujev suggestion... it was always a good island to play on... it had a sort of ruined eerie quality that came across well... Plenty of good "ruins" and "dead/fallen tree" models in A2 - time for some landscape dressing! - oh, and Roads, of course... ;)

Bridges...

They're a bitch! + AI can behave "problematically" around them = best keep bridges to a minimum... where you must have one... well, they're a pain, but straightforward enough...

Basically...

*Find a temporary flat bit to work on

*Place a bridge section in Visitor

*Rotate it to the required angle

*Select and "copy"

*"paste" more sections till you have the length you want

*line them up roughly in the 2D Visitor window

*MAXIMUM zoom in and line them up perfectly (tricky bit)

(Ignore what they look like in 3D - they'll all be different heights - doesnt matter - all you're worried about is that they're 100% perfectly end-to-end, and you can see/do this best in the 2D window)

*select whole bridge and move it into position across river

(looks even more up and down now in 3D - don't worry - they're still properly end-to-end in 2D)

*In final position? - OK - now select all bridge pieces - run the "Set Absolute Height" script - they'll all magically be the same height and should look like a proper bridge!

(trial and error repeated "set absolute heighting" until you get that perfect height)...

"Too Green"

Remember that the overall "Satellite Layer" has a direct influence on the tonality of the close-up clutter, AND close-up ground texture (eg: you'll see this if you make a temporary Sat layer with bright coloured "road guides" - you try the island out in game - yup - bright red lines in the distance where roads will be... then you notice - up close on the ground where a guide line is - actual pure scarlet bright red clutter!)

So - effectively, you can change the whole tone of even the close-up stuff by what you do to that Sat layer...

Try fooling with it in Photoshop or something.... maybe a 10% desaturate to take the intensity off the "green", darken by 10%...? ... fool around - its a quick way to change the overall "feel"...

Snake Man's Guide

You really should give this a little read thru again... it's not so much just the release format... it's the "whole package"... You have to remember that - particularly now with so many OA "newbies" around - not everyone instantly knows what to do with your addon... supplying it in a ready-made "@Nicosia\Addons" modfolder structure is a good idea, so it's "plug and play"... It requires A2 objects, but not OA ones - that means it's "compatible with A2/CO, but not standalone OA" - you should really make that clear... A readme file explaining all of this clearly for newcomers would be nice too - in that you could basically reproduce your first post here, maybe a good place for credits too, etc, etc, etc...

It's not compulsory of course - but... we're a "community" - it's always nice to make sure your addon can be enjoyed by all, regardless of their technical level - that means as easy and clear as possible in all things... following the "generally accepted format" as outlined by Snake Man & the PMC guide is a good way to ensure that...

Oh well.... enough for now...

Looking forward to seeing developments on this one!

Good luck!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Beta V2 is here! ive done so much work on it since last version!

The island is complete with road network now, bridges also.

There is also an Aircraft carrier in the east ocean, and the main port has been

started on too... plus much much much more!

Also thanks for the permission from Sumrak ive got the colour module in there now also, so to use it just find "Nicosia Default Colour Module" in the modules.

Please remember to post bugs or problems here! Thanks.

Link for Beta V2: OutOfDate

Edited by DarkXess

Cheers matey.

Here is a Airbase Template to use on my island! its just a simple spawned stuff at the Airbase, planes, choppers, ammo, cars, etc...

Download Here!

To use it just follow these instructions: Extract the folder to your ArmA2\other Profiles\Yournick\Missions and load it in the editor.

[Of course you will need my island also] :-D

*Update for the island itself will be coming in about another day or so with much more improvements. ;-)

So far, next update will have more named places, more trees and vegitation, the Airbase is fixed (before had some ground problems in the hangars etc)

more roads, and so much more... keep posted guys.

Edited by DarkXess

*UPDATE*

Latest Release with masive masive work been done!

3 bridges, named places, more trees, more roads, 3 ports, more additions to the

airbase, Capital city is Boca Grande (thx Jezaa) plus hundreds more items added! including the power lines etc (for the power grid script im working on)

Please remember to post bugs here! and if you take pictures in game or make missions using my map, please do inform me, id love to try it out too, lol ive not played on it much! just made the bloody thing, lol.

Still more to come, this is my 2nd update in 4 days! im going to work more on the cities now etc...

Any questions, please feel free to ask, and also any suggestions ideas you have about Nicosia.

Link for Beta v3 Nicosia: OutOfDate

Also included is the template to spawn the airbase and the newly made mountain top base "US Forward Base Echo"

Enjoy! :bounce3:

Edited by DarkXess

Beta V4 is here!

Added 26 cities/towns, more work to roads, forests, vegitation, main airfield, bridges, and a few other things.

Still to do much more work on other things including street lights in cities/towns, power scripts, swamps, ground clutter/objects etc...

Fixed also is the "west side bridge" before it was bumpy for some reason, and offline! now its fine.

Plus other tweaks, fixes, etc.

Please do remember to post bugs, suggestions, etc here.

Thanks.

Link: OutOfDate

Included as always is a template for the US Mountain Base & Airfield.

Also coming soon is a Domination2 coop map!

Edited by DarkXess

Excellent work pall, tweaks making a big difference for me.

Hi Darkxess,

D/Led your island tonight to have a look. Noticed that west side bridge is not ai friendly (at least to tanks and apcs). The north one was smooth as butter and ai vehicles had no problem using it. Looks like the map has lots of potential, thanks!

Hi Darkxess,

D/Led your island tonight to have a look. Noticed that west side bridge is not ai friendly (at least to tanks and apcs). The north one was smooth as butter and ai vehicles had no problem using it. Looks like the map has lots of potential, thanks!

LoL ... well thanks for the feedback! im laughing cause ive not configured it yet for AI! but as your saying the North Side bridge is fine them im happy!

How about East Side bridge, you try that out too?

The West Side bridge is where ive had most problems, as the bridge is at an angle and not straight if you get what I mean, im thinking that Visitor3 or Arma2 doesnt like bridges at an angle, if so ill have to turn it to be straight, though ill try to work more on first before moving it straighter if so.

Just a question for you all also, what do you think of the towns/cities ... ? Boca Grande is the capital, so its obviously much more dence and higher in quality of buildings! but in my opinion the buildings in the parts of the south compared to the northern parts are too over crowded ... what you all think?

Im working on making the cities/towns more dence with objects, clutter, closing the forests in a bit to give the place a more dark dence feel.

Also the Domination2 map is almost done! just working on some bugs to get it perfect.

Anyone got any nice screen shots also? can post in this thread if so, thanks.

And dont forget more feedback/bugs/suggestions are welcome! this map is community friendly! so anything you have to suggest will be more than welcome to be tried out. :rolleyes:

Edited by DarkXess

Ran ai driven tank over east bridge in both directions without any problem. Dont know yet about infantry squads. I dont know how the ai will handle the bridges with lots of them trying to cross at once but am going to port a small test warfare to the island to see.

One suggestion I have is to make a few bald spots on the heavily forested hills. Would make for good warfare forest capture points and increase the variety of capture point types. I'm always looking for a reason to go off the beaten path when porting warfare!

Ran ai driven tank over east bridge in both directions without any problem. Dont know yet about infantry squads. I dont know how the ai will handle the bridges with lots of them trying to cross at once but am going to port a small test warfare to the island to see.

One suggestion I have is to make a few bald spots on the heavily forested hills. Would make for good warfare forest capture points and increase the variety of capture point types. I'm always looking for a reason to go off the beaten path when porting warfare!

Ok, thanks for that ...

Anyways, to answer your question about bold spots, yeah im going to put them in soon, also for chopper landings in the middle of the forest, and abandoned small villages / bunkers / wrecks / damage zones / and tonnes of paths, mud roads etc are coming soon. you have seen some of the towns etc have small mud roads going of in some directions? they will later all connect to each other and also other things in the middle of the forests etc .. there is still a very lot more to come for what ive planned for this island.

Still more suggestions too are really halpful. :bounce3:

Still wanting "a lot" of suggestions/feedback on the cities and towns! ;)