Sign in to follow this  
msy

ARMA2:OA runs a very low fps in Zargabad, and GPU usage is less then 50%

My system:

CPU: E6600 OC 3.0G

GPU:HD4870 1G 750\3600 CCC driver is 10.6

RAM:4G

system information monitor software is Rivatuner 2.24

Game verson:1.52.71952 , combined with ARMA2.

==========

VIDEO SETTINGS:

BOTH @ 1680*1050

VIEW DISTANCE:2500M

TEXTURE:VERY HIGH

VIDEO MEMORY:VERY HIGH

AA:NONE

AF:HIGH

TERRAIN:NORMAL

OBJECT DETAIL:NORMAL

SHADOWS: HIGH

POSTPROCESS EFFECT: DISABLE

===========

It runs well in other official maps so far with about 45~60 FPS, but it works too bad in Zargabad map, only 50% usage of GPU and low FPS. In the pictures below, I set some unit to fight to try to increase the burden of my computer, but on the contrary, to my suprise, the usage of GPU is only 25%, causing a very very low FPS at 12.7. And the texture redering lags a lot too.

I doubt it's the map itself that has some bugs or defects that causes the low FPS and the low GPU usage.

And I also find that using the quickly build village module to generate a village in the desert island has the same low GPU usage problem.

I wish it could be solve as soon as possible.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

the pictures of my test is at this link

you can just see the pictures in this link.

http://www.chinavme.com/redirect.php?goto=findpost&ptid=14365&pid=117218

Or you can just read the information below:

CPU0:89.1%

CPU1:89.1%

RAM: 2702.3 MB

MEM(GPU):705.6 MB

GPU: 25.9%

FPS: 12.7

Edited by msy

What's your Video Memory set at?

Try Very High or (better yet) Default.

What's your Video Memory set at?

Try Very High or (better yet) Default.

It's "very high"

Video memory on very high is for a 2GB gpu, try high, thats for upto 1GB. Also try 10.4 cats, I've had nothing but issues with 10.5 and 10.6 (I've crossfire) but my problems dissapeared whan I downgraded

To properly uninstall the driver the correct way;

Download the driver and have it on Your desktop. Install driver sweeper (might as well save Your desktop icon positions with it), uninstall the driver in Add/remove programs in control panel, reboot and as booting to Windows keep clicking f8 to select save mode. In safe mode run driver sweeper to remove all traces, then reboot to normal windows and install the driver needing a further reboot after.

Driver here

But if video memory is at high, the texture detail will turn out to be high too.

If I choose very high, what will happen seriously? It runs well in other official maps just except for this one.

And choosing HIGH level , due to the texture detail is also decrease to HIGH, the FPS increases little, the GPU usage is nearly the same as before.

on fields and forests, the usage of GPU can reach 100%, but in Zargabad, isn't the 50% usage too low?

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Video memory on very high is for a 2GB gpu, try high, thats for upto 1GB. Also try 10.4 cats, I've had nothing but issues with 10.5 and 10.6 (I've crossfire) but my problems dissapeared whan I downgraded

To properly uninstall the driver the correct way;

Download the driver and have it on Your desktop. Install driver sweeper (might as well save Your desktop icon positions with it), uninstall the driver in Add/remove programs in control panel, reboot and as booting to Windows keep clicking f8 to select save mode. In safe mode run driver sweeper to remove all traces, then reboot to normal windows and install the driver needing a further reboot after.

Driver here

To tell you the truth, before I install the CCC 10.6 driver somedays ago, I have already use the driver sweeper 2.1 to clean up the old 10.5...and yes, clean the old driver in safe mode...

Do you have no such low GPU usage experience in Zargabad? Because some others with GTX260+ also find it stutter a lot in this map.

Edited by msy

I would give Default a shot if I were you. I use it and it works great, texture loading and performance is a lot better.

My fps goes from average 50-60 on Takistan to 30-35 on Zarabad. Much like Cherno it lags because of all the buildings, though not as bad

My fps goes from average 50-60 on Takistan to 30-35 on Zarabad. Much like Cherno it lags because of all the buildings, though not as bad

Have you ever use software such as Rivatuner to show and record the conditions of the hardwares while playing games?

And I also find that using the quickly build village module to generate a village in the desert island has the same low GPU usage problem.

I wish it could be solve as soon as possible.

^This. I have found the same thing, buildings are a massive cpu bottle neck. It's a perfect simple test everyone should try.

Try turning the view distance down - 2500M with (your) CPU isn't going to be smooth.

Try turning the view distance down - 2500M with (your) CPU isn't going to be smooth.

I decline it to 1600M, and FPS increase 3~5, average 35. This view distance in city for steet fight is not problem, but for flight...

My CPU and motherboard is really old...

I find in huge city in CHENARUS, the problem of low usage of GPU exists too.

Does this phenomenon show my video card can't be take good use, or just show those city maps with massive buildings are complex for my GPU to deal with?

If I choose all VERY LOW and DISABLE for options, the GPU still can't get a full load, however, if keep my video settings above and add high level postprocess effect, it will 100% run, though the FPS is lower.

I wish city maps can be optimized like plane or forest which can let video card 100% work.

I would give Default a shot if I were you. I use it and it works great, texture loading and performance is a lot better.

Have you ran the benchmark comparing Default and VeryHigh?

VeryHigh is constantly 3-4fps faster than Default for me.

I think its that the town of Zargbad is not that GPU intensive say compared to the forests of Chenarus.What kills towns FPS is the geometry on the CPU.I could be way off.

^yes. Like I already said. Buildings = lots of CPU usage = GFX card having a holiday.

Use desert map and Town generation module to test.

Danny;1678507']Have you ran the benchmark comparing Default and VeryHigh?

VeryHigh is constantly 3-4fps faster than Default for me.

Not recently, but in the past ArmA2 1.05 and betas Default always performed WAY better for me. Very High resulted in massive stutter as well as LOD issues and decreasing performance over time.

I think maybe I will give Very High a shot in OA and after the latest ArmA2 patch just for the hell of it, though Default has been working fine for me.

Why the buildings need more CPU's performance than GPU's?

I'm unable to image that the model of buildings is different and complex than plants'