Sign in to follow this  
Kristian

[OA] Leanin' while in vehicles

Hey forum folk. :p

I noticed a nice new feature in OA, leanining while inside vehicles.

No, not the Q and E leanining, but something automated and realistic.

For example, when the car turns left, your character leans right. Just as in real life. If car stops fast, your character leans forward, and if you begin to accelerate your character leans back. Maybe done with animations, and if yes, maybe in future we see addon that enables your character to actually visually steer the steering wheel? ;)

Tell me if you spotted this, and thought it was a cool small addition.

Yeah, and along with that I've loved it that your screen recoils when firing weapons, and when a tank drives past or a helicopter flies over your screen shakes.

All these threads make we want to get OA now... :p

Ive also noticed this while flying.

Yes, the only time I've seen this significantly is on take off and hard braking in an F-35.

It was cool though.

Tell me if you spotted this, and thought it was a cool small addition.

Yeah I noticed this, although I also noticed that on the side of a Littlebird the animations seem out of place compared to where the weapons are (of the guys sitting on the side), wondered if it was because of this shifting of the body position...

IIRC in 1st person, if you mount a machine gun your hands/body stays in line with it when you turn it. (have a go on the PUKF Jackal in the Commander seat with GPMG and you will know what I mean... hopefully)

You should stand near a tank when it's driving by. :)

You should stand near a tank when it's driving by.

With screen shake all the way up its like an earthquake :D

It's nice otherwise but without crosshairs it can royally screw up a pilot's aim.

In ground vehicles I'd like to see it toned right up, especially fast moving cars and especially especially when offroad and especially x100 when slamming into something.

You should stand near a tank when it's driving by. :)

BTW it would be nice to have this effect on 3rd pers view as well!

It's called G-force simulation, not lean! :p

Haha, it's a very awesome feature! :)

I'd like an option to disable it because it makes aircraft reticles pointless.

Can the leaning value be somehow changed from configs? Would love to turn it higher for cars :)

Can the leaning value be somehow changed from configs? Would love to turn it higher for cars :)

Yes, that would be nice, I didn't know this effect existed until reading about it here, but then again I drove only like 5mins total since I got OA :p .

I wouldn't count on BIS to tell though when they didn't bother to release a simple vehicle sample model in over a year...

I'd like an option to disable it because it makes aircraft reticles pointless.

Well the real human head doesn't stay perfectly still in real life, so consider it a realism option! ;)

:D

Well the real human head doesn't stay perfectly still in real life, so consider it a realism option! ;)

:D

Real pilots can align their heads with the reticles (I'm not even sure if you need to with a HUD), so there's no realism to speak of, only a nuisance that's Harder Than Lifeâ„¢.

this game surprises me sometimes with its reality

Real pilots can align their heads with the reticles (I'm not even sure if you need to with a HUD), so there's no realism to speak of, only a nuisance that's Harder Than Lifeâ„¢.

Yeah, but when you start changing direction, like turning left/right, or pitching up and down, your head is going to start moving with the g-forces. If you want to align your shots, you have to, well, line them up.

You can't call it unrealistic lol, it has no side effect other than simulating what's really there. If there is hud on your helmet screen, then it will always be aligned. If there is hud in the cockpit, but not attached to your head, then of course it will move out of line.

It's realistic.

:)

(Unless I am missing something, in which case I apologise)

It's realistic.

:)

(Unless I am missing something, in which case I apologise)

You are. The HUD works like a holosight (don't know the correct term) in reality. It would be useless if it would work like in Arma - you move your head 1 centimeter left or right and it is already misaligned. It's the same as with Aimpoint and Eotech in game.

Some example videos:

- homemade HUD

at 4:25 - real F16

Even ww2 planes already had reflector (holo) sights.

Ah I see! Sorry, I didn't know they worked like that lol. In that case I definitely agree. If BIS could master proper HUD and sights, it would be seriously epic.

You are. The HUD works like a holosight (don't know the correct term) in reality. It would be useless if it would work like in Arma - you move your head 1 centimeter left or right and it is already misaligned. It's the same as with Aimpoint and Eotech in game.

Some example videos:

- homemade HUD

at 4:25 - real F16

Even ww2 planes already had reflector (holo) sights.

wow the inertial ref sys aligns really fast on that plane!

wow the inertial ref sys aligns really fast on that plane!

Think the alignment takes about 8 minutes in the F-16 (generally needs to reach 10.0/30 before takeoff), so not especially fast unfortunately. Although not terribly slow either :)

Think the alignment takes about 8 minutes in the F-16 (generally needs to reach 10.0/30 before takeoff), so not especially fast unfortunately. Although not terribly slow either :)

Will be less than that if they know their last pos AND if the do not move the plane from it's last pos. There's not much redundancy by aligning only 1 irs...hopefully the holly gps is here too nowadays ;-)

Edited by 50.cal