Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

[ADO] Brik, a small CQB training map

I am proud to show you one of the map I was working on for while : Brik.

It's my first map based on real terrain ! This public release is version 0.3 beta because it has already modified after having been played by my game team the clan [ADO] and the friendly DeadEcho Team.

Brik is a map based upon the Brikby training grounds in Danemark.

This map of a 5km x 5km area features the training CQB village and a small part of the vehicles training grounds in the South.

The map is based upon GoogleEarth pics as well as pictures send by a Danish correspondent ... many thanks to DeadEcho Team.

The topography is based upon a GPS map found on a Danish Off-Road site and hand drawn ^^.

Of course, this Brik is NOT Brikby, what I miss the most are the pretty, pinky, bricky houses they seem to like the most in this far away wet country.

I have use the vanilla Bohemian stern and more or less dilapidated buildings, all of them enter-able of course !

ado_brik1s.jpg ado_brik2s.jpg

- Brik from the outside - - CQB training area -

ado_brik3s.jpg ado_brik4s.jpg

- Ponds in the West area - - Vehicles training grounds in the South -

Updated Brik v0.4 beta released.

In fact a minor update ...

V 0.4 beta changelog :

- Deleted wandering pond water object misplaced in the NW of the map,

- Modified buildings placements in the Grer area in the SW of the map.

DOWNLOAD - Brik v 0.4 beta version - [31 MB 7z] from Armed Assault.info

Armaholic mirror: [ADO] Brik v0.3beta

Edited by Old Bear
Brik v0.4beta released

Nice looking island! :)

Hehehe, fantastic mate, I'm danish, and I've been to brikby on an airsoft milsim, but I didn't really take notice at first, just thought "new island, nice", but when I took a look at the first screenshot, it immediately looked familiar, like "wait a minute... is that? heeey, it is!". So big thumbs up from Denmark, looking forward to trying it out :)

Very impressiv terrain it's ideal for tank hunt ;) I think we need more maps like these !!!

Big Thanks to the ADO team

would like to see street lights throughout the village, other than that, awesome map! perfect for force on force training, all enter-able buildings? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

This map is nice, I like it.

Looking around I noticed it'd also look good for some WW2 scenarios, the landscape and forests look just right.

This map is nice, I like it.

Looking around I noticed it'd also look good for some WW2 scenarios, the landscape and forests look just right.

When I played the strategy game "Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2" a few years ago, i loved the terrain, i think that this map has fairly similar terrain.

Very good map, love it, it's quite small but there is still alot of scenarios to be made with this island.

What a cool surprise, i really like the forested and open areas, the sand tracks through and around the forest is great, nice representation, Cheers!

As you said in your Tropica thread

First, I must tell you I am not a professional map maker , just an old timer dedicated to the game ... OFP, ArmA, ArmA2, ArmA2: OA ... what else ^^.

..and bless ya for that. You clearly know what works well because your maps are great from a gameplay standpoint and the new Tropica map is so awesomely big for gameplay and mission making. They bring back the ofp massiveness and feel. :ok:

------------

While minor, but still important in my eyes is the sat resolution. Sbrodj suffers from that as do these two new maps.

At least for Brik, was there a reason why a very low resolution sat image was used (far away google map screenshot)?

This is a comparison screenshot with the default sat (512x512 @ ~500m high?) on one side and a modded HQ sat (2048x2048 @ 100m high) on the other.

briksatqualitycompare.jpg

While it's not perfect, it's definitely better due to the higher resolution.

This Brik Sat enhancement is easy obviously because the satellite image is done for you, but simple yet interesting things can be done with the Sbrodj & Tropica sat by just blending in real sat image layers and increasing the resolution.

If this is something you want to do and need some help let me know.

------------

Anyways, you guys deserve some beers for these badass maps. Hopefully you release many more to us grunts :drinking2:

I love this map (and these kind of trainingey maps in general, fond memories of various squad/clan trainings/tryouts on them), especially the wide open area around the lake to the north, great for sniping

@RG : of course I know that my _Sat must have been a better one, I have not spend enough hours to build this 1024 x1020 pic from small Google Earth copy pasted tiles. It would have been better if I had started with a better objective, say a 2048 x 2048, but ...

I know there are a lot of tools I do not master to do such job, but I have said I am still trying to learn ... even if I feel often quite dumb. That why the map is mainly a "by hand" job, the terrain having been drawn sometimes pixel by pixel on The Gimp and based upon the _Sat pic and a survey map ...

Edited by Old Bear

Never got the chance to say it but here we go: Great little island Old Bear! :)

Somehow this island coupled with ACE navy units and some heli flybys makes it all look and feel real. So good job on this and thanks a lot for the effort.

First, I must tell you I am not a professional map maker

LOL ..... sorry, I must disagree. This is one of the most realistic terrains I have had the pleasure of exploring. I wasted a whole tank of motorbike fuel riding around this place the first time.

Its awesome, very realistic feel to the vegetation placement and the changes in ground texture and colour are great.

9.5/10

You miss the 0.5 because its only 5x5 ;)

I'd pay for terrain like this if it was 25x25.

Top Job Old Bear

I think the reason it feels so good is it's very.. dense. There's always some kind of vegetation or landscape around you, the woodland is very closed in (tense as hell at night with a rifleman in foggy conditions with only the flashlight on your gun for company hunting down some militia men) and the open areas feel realistically 'proportioned' with a variety of shrubbery around the place

Updated Brik v0.4 beta released.

In fact a minor update ...

V 0.4 beta changelog :

- Deleted wandering pond water object misplaced in the NW of the map,

- Modified buildings placements in the Grer area in the SW of the map.

DOWNLOAD - Brik v 0.4 beta version - [31 MB 7z]

Oh man! i was just about to hit the sack and call it a weekend, now i gotta check this out... cheers Old Bear.

Ive just been running around this map with namalsk default colours module on... awesome atmosphere!

Oh man! i was just about to hit the sack and call it a weekend, now i gotta check this out... cheers Old Bear.

Ive just been running around this map with namalsk default colours module on... awesome atmosphere!

what module? :P