Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

[SP] / [MP] DamBusters

Description:

A reconnaissance plane has been shot down near Podeba Dam. Intel suggests that insurgents have captured the Pilot even though he managed to eject to safety. Our forces have quickly set up roadblocks on all arteries out of the North Eastern sector of the island, hopefully this will deter the insurgents from trying to move our pilot too far away. We need to firstly locate the hostage, then free and extract him to safety.

The primary objective of the reconnaissance was to photograph evidence of suspected insurgent activity around the Dam. It is feared the local Militia have acquired chemicals with which they intend to contaminate the local water supply. They know this would create a massive burden for US peace force whose resouces are already stretched to the limit. We must find their cache of chemicals and destroy it before it used to contaminate the dam.

Reconnaissance has been hampered by Anti-Air installations around the north-eastern airfield. UAV support will be available once these AA instalations have been destroyed to aid in locating our objectives. Until recently, insurgents have had limited ammunition for their AA weapons, but it seems they have climbed into bed with a more reliable supplier.

Features:

* Vanilla Arma2 compatible.

* Up to 5 players Co-op in multiplayer, or group respawn in singleplayer.

* Selectable number of respawns in multiplayer [0, 5 or 10] default 0.

* Features Norrins Spectating script.

* Random Insertion and extraction points.

* Random Objective locations.

* Up to 10 Objectives [dependant on mission outcomes].

* Selectable intro in multiplayer.

* Simulated UAV to help locate main objectives if secondary objectives are completed.

* Reward vehicles if successful with mission objectives.

* Mission targeted at approximately 1 hours gameplay.

* Custom scripts for various features

ss1.jpgss2.jpgss3.jpg

Please see the readme in the archive for further information.

Armaholic Mirror: (Thanks Big)

DamBusters Co-05 / SP

ArmedAssualt.info Mirrors:

DamBusters C0-05 / SP

DamBusters C0-05 / SP

Alternative link:

SP/MP DamBusters

Credits:

Norrin for POW and Respawn\Spectate Script.

Kronsky for UPS script

PogoMan for his "Insurgency" scripts which I based some of mine from.

Mikey, SHK and Galzohar for briefing help & ideas.

SickBoy for his info on the Wiki.

BAS-f for the readme form.

Apologies to anyone else I accidently missed

I am very new to scripting and this is my first attempt at mission making. There where so many possible senario outcomes and I have tried to cover them all. I could not have done this without the above scripts and help from various comunity members. My scripting is very much work in progress, but all missions have been tested on dedicated server, client server and as a single player mission.

Please report any bugs or feedback to this thread.

Thanks and I hope someone enjoys playing it :)

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight
New Link added

I tried it yesterday, with just one friend and we spent some really good time.

May be we were unlucky to have one "suspect activity" near the airport so we had to deal with some real opposition (and it was too much for us).

So far, no bug (but we were not able to go too far in the mission), just one small request: could you do a revive version ?

Great work !

Hey Mate,

just one small request: could you do a revive version ?

Thanks for the feedback. Around the airfield is reasonably busy with enemy activity and you must use caution (particularly if the UAV's detect something suspicious in that area).

I incorporated the BIS first aid and battlefield clearance modules into the mission, if you get killed of course you will either start spectate mode if no respawns have been selected for the mission, otherwise you are back at the insertion point.

Maybe for the next version I can somehow incorportate a parameter to have revive enabled or disabled. I am not sure how this would work with the current system I don't suppose both can be used, I'll have to do some research. If you can synchronize a module to a unit via script, it could easily be a mission setup parameter to have either revive or the firstaid system (not both). Not sure if this is possible however.

For this reason the roadblock outposts (your random insertion points) are relativley close to the search area, because a long drive back to the objectives can be cumbersome.

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight

hey i just finished it..alone (SP),that is..had a great time..I had to dismount the LAV (took it really seriously) almost every few hundred meters to clear out the route..

I really loved the way it's all setup..the whole mission was a lot of driving with the LAV..going everywhere..checking every inch of the marker...cause i had to find the objectives..

Man, don't want to spoil anyone that's why Im controlling the details..hehe

But I had fun really! Very Immersive..Played for 2.30 hrs ..

thanks! keep 'em coming!

If you select "0" respawns you get the LAV in MP, otherwise you get the HUMVEE with MG : P

Oh..and Norrin may as well have made this mission, I might ask him next time, he has done much of the hard work with his scripts : )

There is much variation in what can happen during the extraction of the Pilot (if you find him). If you replay it, it may well happen differently.

I am glad you had enjoyed the mission, that's what motivates making them for me : )

Thanks

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight

I really like this kind of dynamic missions. Cipher is a bit like that and we already played it numerous times.

As we're only a small group of players (from 2 to 6 max), we enjoy missions designed for small team that can be done once or twice in an evening.

And revive is, for us, the good middle ground between no respawn (a bit too hardcore for our group) and unlimited respawn (far too easy).

All in all very good mission. We liked the intro and how stuff happened as the story developed.

Issues we ran into, we played MP with 3 guys.

1. JIP does not work. If a guy gets killed and respawns, he respawns in the water somewhere.

2. When someone is wounded and flopping around on the ground, you can't heal them.

Other than that we loved it!

Hey mate,

At which point did he JIP. Can you remember which objectives had been completed.

1). I tested JIP with no probs, but that's not to say it doesnt occur when the objectives change the respawn point somehow.

2). Uses BIS first-aid system, which I have never seen that issue before.

Also, was it dedicated server or client-server?

Thanks for the feedback.

I will test and get back ASAP.

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight

Revive is very hard to implement into this mission I have found.

Because of the way the respawn currently works and also the way the death-count works for finishing the game I fear is it almost too large a task.

I think I would be better off investing time into a new operation arrowhead mission, given most will be turning to that.

I am a bit baffled still about the ocean swiming on spawn..I can't get it to happen. I have a few more things to try however.

Soz 1212PDMCDMPPM, but I'll see if I can make it up to you in the flavour of another mission when I get OA : P

Thanks

Frosty

Played the mission on SP, liked the intro nicely made; but got a bit disappointed as the mission itself.

I started with the LAV, wanted to use motorbikes but one or two more would be convenient; the ammo boxes were useful to change weapons.

The area to search for the missing pilot is wide without indication where to search, and while en-route to search for him a new objective poped up about the truck and dam pollution, objective failed because I was still searching for the pilot.

Not founding him or much hostiles in the area, I just headed to the dam where the truck was, definitely no surprise as the truck was there as showed on the notes briefing.

On a general note the mission(s) lacks minimum "realistic", but I guess it was made for fun rather than milsim spirit. Adding too much objectives confuse the player, as the idea of the dam pollution is very good, it would be enough to a single mission, as the rescue downed pilot suffice for a single mission; the map is almost unreadable with all the red + signs...

On the positive points the notes, pictures, the scenery intro, are well made, keep up the good work cheers ;)

i guess i have to get to the Damn Damn FIRST.

i just can't seem to get there before the big Boom.

i ALWAYS get into firefights before i even get close.

gonna keep trying ...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to answer a few questions.

Katrician: It sounds like you did not go and take out the anti-air batteries at the airfield. Please see the relevent spoilers below.

Not founding him or much hostiles in the area, I just headed to the dam where the truck was, definitely no surprise as the truck was there as showed on the notes briefing.

All is not as it seems, there may be more than one vehicle. The truck on the bridge is not the vehicle in question by the way, it is a placebo. The truck loaded with chemicals will drive into the dam. Also if it makes it there will be armour nearby that you will need to deal with more than likely.

The area to search for the missing pilot is wide without indication where to search, and while en-route to search for him a new objective poped up about the truck and dam pollution, objective failed because I was still searching for the pilot.

The first objective should be to take out the airfield anti-air, because then the UAV's will help pin-point the location [Automatically] of the other two main objectives. Without doing this, completing the other objectives may prove VERY VERY difficult, as the search area is indeed resonably large.

The UAV's still need to actually spot the target, so even after airfield defenses are nullified, it can take some time for the uavs to actually find them. When the targets are spotted, you will get a hint and a marker placed on the map as to their approximate location.

Also...you may have missed the objective when it first appeared. You will definetly be notified of a "NEW" objective when the truck sets off on its course for the dam. Two objectives will fail if it happens to make it and succeed in contaminating the dam

I just can't seem to get there before the big Boom.

You should have time to take out the Anti-air at the main airfield, before the truck departs. The truck will not initiate its mission to destroy the dam until lets say over half an hour into the mission at least without giving to much away. If AA is detroyed, the UAVs can help locate the chemical cache and the pilot [within 200 metres]. They may, or may not find the truck in time, but if they do you can go and destroy it before the vehicle sets off.

If this objective appears, I would recommend dropping whatever you are doing and head straight to the dam to protect it, otherwise you will fail the objective.

The mission is not easy, that is for sure..it never was meant to be. In saying that, if you excersise a little caution, you will be able to survive just fine, pick your targets. Thats why with the Coop version I deceided to implement an option to turn on respawn [limited]. In single player, instead of respawn I have toned down the enemy a little.

Thanks again and let me know if I can be of any help

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight

wow... just wow, absolutely fantastic mission.

i didn't quite finish yet, so i cant say exactly how far i am, but i have been playing over an hour, and its a great SP ride.

Thanx for this.