jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

stuttering here too

i7 930 @ normal clock

ATI 5870 sapphire vapor x

onboard soundcard (realtek 889)

win 7 64bit

6gb 1600mhz ram

arma 2 vanilla with latest patch runs VERY smooth and even with all kinds of mods on, i just dont get why OA stutters so much in comparison

i7 930 @ 3.0GHz

ATI XFX 5870

Win 7 64

2x2GB ddr3 @ 1600mhz

Basically the same setup you have, and occasionally I will have a hiccup, but for the most part I do not have this problem.

Btw, I still have HT turned on, and can get 41fps in the benchmark.

i7 930 @ 3.0GHz

ATI XFX 5870

Win 7 64

2x2GB ddr3 @ 1600mhz

Basically the same setup you have, and occasionally I will have a hiccup, but for the most part I do not have this problem.

Btw, I still have HT turned on, and can get 41fps in the benchmark.

what kind of ATI driver you use? i currently got the 10.5 as 10.6 causes wierd issues with old titles for me

and how do i do this benchmark? greatly appreciate the feedback!

you can do the benchmark at the missions section, you can do 2 benchmarks.

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5Ghz Quad-Core

ATI HD4890 1Gb

Windows 7 64-Bit

4Gb DDR2 1066

I have no problems running the game and infact it runs much much faster than Chenarus for me. I haven't tweaked anything and all my settings are on high. I got 44 average FPS on the Benchmark for OA.

Turkeys, i have a similair system like yours.

AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6Ghz

Ati HD4870 1Gb

Windows 7 32bit home premium.

6GB memory (3,25 available).

And i cant play ARMAII on high, i play on normal/low. And i get 20-25 average fps. Sometimes it even drops below 10. I use a lot of mods though, like GroupLink, ACE etc. i am completely lost here. I cant wait to try Operation Arrowhead, in hope to get better performance.

there is actually a considerable difference between a 4870 and a 4890... and also, the resolution you both are playing at might be completely different...

i play at 1440x900, same as my desktop resolution. And it isnt likely that the videocard is the bottleneck in my system. It shouldnt make that big difference, around 20-25 fps difference :S thats just hard to believe.

Make sure you set Objects Detail to normal. Little low impact on visual quality and 5 fps to gain :)

For everyone who was experimenting with settings in ArmA2OA.cfg file and now feels it is even worse than before:

1. delete or move somewhere else your ArmA2OA.cfg file from ...My Documents\ArmA 2

2. Run the game, the game will create new ArmA2OA.cfg file.

You will loose some settings(like language etc.) but you can make it back as you want with few clicks....and this very little "tutorial" helped me a lot, the game is much smoother now. :)

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5Ghz Quad-Core

ATI HD4890 1Gb

Windows 7 64-Bit

4Gb DDR2 1066

I have no problems running the game and infact it runs much much faster than Chenarus for me. I haven't tweaked anything and all my settings are on high. I got 44 average FPS on the Benchmark for OA.

Whats your resolution set at? AA on? Whats your view distance?

Resolution is set to 1440x900, AA is on high, View distance is set to 2400

Other thing i noticed is that 3D Res is heavier in OA than Anti Aliasing. In ArmA 2 is the other way around. So if you want image quality, set AA to Normal and lower the 3D Resolution in ArrowHead.

I got rid of my stuttering by once again disabling hyper threading in my BIOS. I had turned it back on because on after patch 1.07 seemed to run fine with it enabled.

I got rid of my stuttering by once again disabling hyper threading in my BIOS. I had turned it back on because on after patch 1.07 seemed to run fine with it enabled.

I think this is because 1.07 fixes are not yet in OA. I expect a patch to be forthcoming to address this issue.

lol, remember when we all believed OA would actually have better performance than vanilla Arma 2? Oh man! What happened to that?! :butbut:

I get the same thing people are talking about in the benchmark with the stuttering. But in a normal mission the game seems smooth. Very strange, indeed.

lol, remember when we all believed OA would actually have better performance than vanilla Arma 2? Oh man! What happened to that?! :butbut:

>>

I think this is because 1.07 fixes are not yet in OA. I expect a patch to be forthcoming to address this issue.

^^That

So I was bored, decided to order a few hardware parts to see how the game performs

4870X2 Upgraded to 5970 + Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme

Samsung Spinpoint F1 "Upgraded" ( Added to the system ofc. ) to WD 64GB SSD 250MB/s Read / 170MB/s Write

Let's see that amazing 3 FPS boost for the price of a jetfighter, haha.

Then again, I have 2 x 24" Screens, should enjoy a bit of Eyefinity as well.

Edited by Sethos

two screens wont work well in arma 2, since the middle of the two will be where the crosshair is... you won't see it.

I had another issue right now.

I was playing campaign mission 3. The game would suddenly go into a slideshow mode, i.e. a second of normal "fluid" motion followed by a second of complete freeze. It wouldn't get back to normal, so I quit and started again. Loaded the saved game, and the issue persisted. I then restarted the mission and so far it hasn't happened again.

If one of the devs are interested, I archived my missions_e folder before I restarted, so I still have that saved game.

5970 + Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme

Completely off-topic, but I just thought I would mention this to save you (potentially) a costly mistake, but the Accelero Cooler for the 5970 can easily destroy your card from a standard installation. There is a huge thread about it here outlining the problem and potentially how to avoid it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515486

The main problem is that if you tighten the screws down completely, it can put strain on the card and possibly short it out, causing you to lose functionality of one of the DVI ports, or worse.

is the improvements from arma 2 1.07 (more memory being used and better multicore use) not in OA yet?

Completely off-topic, but I just thought I would mention this to save you (potentially) a costly mistake, but the Accelero Cooler for the 5970 can easily destroy your card from a standard installation. There is a huge thread about it here outlining the problem and potentially how to avoid it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515486

The main problem is that if you tighten the screws down completely, it can put strain on the card and possibly short it out, causing you to lose functionality of one of the DVI ports, or worse.

Whoa, really appreciate the heads-up man :O Will definitely give the thread a read.

Ati HD4870 1Gb

And i cant play ARMAII on high, i play on normal/low. And i get 20-25 average fps. Sometimes it even drops below 10. I use a lot of mods though, like GroupLink, ACE etc. i am completely lost here. I cant wait to try Operation Arrowhead, in hope to get better performance.

I feel your pain fps starts like a lion, comes in like a lamb for me 20-25 fps then depending on loc drops below 20 sometimes down to 10

AMD Antha 4600+ 2.4ghz

Win7 64 bit 4.0 mem

ATI Radeon 4980 ...thinking switchin back to older driver for this gpu

An yes this pc is gettin old, i bought it as an upgrade for ArmA1 lol.

Ati HD4870 1Gb

i imagine the cpu is bottlenecking you there....