Sign in to follow this  
ExplosiveAids

MRAP - RG31 Mk5 (WIP)

Some of you may know that Stiltman and I are working on an RG31 for ArmA 1 & 2. We recently managed to get our first test model up and running, so I thought I'd post a few pics.

RG31_PR_001.jpg

RG31_PR_010.jpg

RG31_PR_003.jpg

RG31_PR_002.jpg

RG31_PR_004.jpg

It's a long way from being finished so you'll be able to see a few dodgy bits, here and there. Don't worry though, these will be remove/replaced/improved over time.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

So, yeah I kinda got carried away and look lots of screenshots. I'm sure you guys won't mind though.

RG31_PR_008.jpg

RG31_PR_006.jpg

RG31_PR_009.jpg

RG31_PR_005.jpg

RG31_PR_007.jpg

Awesome! Is the interior modelled yet?

Awesome! Is the interior modelled yet?

For the most part, yes. I've made as much as I can using what little reference material I could find so it'll look reasonably good, but it won't be 100% accurate. I'll upload some pics once I've got it textured though.

HO-LEE-COW!!! That is one tough looking truck!

Thanks SO much ExA and Stilman - and thank you for keeping A1 players in mind too!

As always, massive fan!

very cool, will it have IED resistance like the real one?

Sorry ExA, I know whenever a cool addon is the works, people will start with the whole, "Can you add this" type questions.

But just wondering if you and Stiltman would please consider adding a "green" version of the MRAP too - just so that we can use it in Woodland Maps as well - in A1 there are way more woodland maps than desert ones.

It need not be fancy - even just a green "layer" over the existing desert texture would be awesome.

Sorry mate for asking - just an idea that popped into my head.

Cheers,

Stew

P.S. - Will it carry 2+6 like the real Nyala?

Thanks mate

I think, that when its done, and people really want a green version to we will probably supply one ;)

but from now and until it is finished i think you will only see the tan one. unless ExA gets really bored or something :P

for the seating, its really hard to find good ref images of the interior of the MK5, but i think at the moment its 2+6 atleast.

Hey, this: http://www.wimp.com/armoredvehicle/ might help with the Interior, it's not an RG-31, but it's really similar, they show the interior at various points, I don't know if it will help though.

As for IED resistance, make the tires easily destroyed compared to the rest of the vehicle, and if possible, use the ACE2 Armour system to make it vulnerable to RPGs, tank rounds, EFPs, yet resistant to 7.62.

I think, that when its done, and people really want a green version to we will probably supply one ;)

but from now and until it is finished i think you will only see the tan one. unless ExA gets really bored or something :P

for the seating, its really hard to find good ref images of the interior of the MK5, but i think at the moment its 2+6 atleast.

Thanks Stiltman - good luck with the project mate!

@JDMT - that video was awesome! :yay:

Interior pics (apologies for lame song)

Edited by Stewy

I must bow and admire the glory that is ExA and Stilman, You Guys Rock!!! I have been Hunting Every corner of the Vastness that is the internet For at least a usable MRAP, that is the only thing I have thought could be improved upon for Armed Assault 1, Since You guy's solved my Complaint's of the stock HMMWV's and Stryker's I For one Absolutely Cannot Wait to Put your MRAP In my missions:pray::pc:

Another week, another batch of pics.

The project is moving along nicely. I've remodeled the axles and added a lot of extra detail down there. Stiltman has also been working his magic and has animated the leaf spring suspension and shock absorbers. Take my word for it, they look superb.

The interior has also been upgraded. Everything now has basic textures, but as we've got plenty of polygons in our budget I'll be making a lot of stuff in 3D... and I mean a LOT of stuff.

RG31_PR_018.jpg

RG31_PR_014-1.jpg

RG31_PR_013-1.jpg

RG31_PR_016.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

RG31_interior_102.jpg

RG31_PR_017-1.jpg

RG31_PR_011-1.jpg

RG31_PR_015-1.jpg

RG31_PR_012.jpg

Looks great ingame!

Is an ambient occlusion map planned? That sure would do this model some good.

Yeah, they are more and more beautiful your vehicles ! The MULTICAM units on the screenshot will be available on ArmA Armed Assault too ?

I'm usually not in the threads for this game but, is there any chance this could be ported over to arma:cwa?

Sorry about the lack of updates to this thread. I'll change that right now.

Looks great ingame!

Is an ambient occlusion map planned? That sure would do this model some good.

I honestly don't know if ArmA1 supports _ao maps, but we'll be making them for the ArmA2 version so I'll test them out on ArmA1 and see what happens lol.

Yeah, they are more and more beautiful your vehicles ! The MULTICAM units on the screenshot will be available on ArmA Armed Assault too ?

Thanks, W4lkn. Yeah those MULTICAM units are already available for ArmA1. I can't remember who made them, or what the AddOn is called though, sorry.

I'm usually not in the threads for this game but, is there any chance this could be ported over to arma:cwa?

I'm not really sure, I'll have to ask Stiltman about that, he's the technical brains of this operation lol.

On to the pics. We've been making good ground on the RG recently. All the LODs have been made, but still need tweaking. The Fire Geometry still needs to be completed, plus a handful of other things. For the most part, it's looking pretty solid. We should be properly beta testing the first truck soon, so you can expect more pics on here and the ArmA2 thread.

RG31_PR_M01.jpg

RG31_PR_M03.jpg

RG31_PR_M02.jpg

RG31_PR_M04.jpg

RG31_PR_M05.jpg

As you can see we only have one version so far, but once everything is working perfectly I'll start work on the Mk19-equipped truck.

Just a quick note, there are still a few elements I want to tweak before calling this RG finished. It's mainly subtle stuff, the kinda things no one would really notice, but I notice them lol. So what you see now will change, but only slightly.

Hope you guys like the pics; more to come.

Wow Exa, fantasic pics and incredible work!

The .50 on top is like the cherry on a cake!

A very tough looking truck and thanks also for keeping the little guys (A1 players) in mind!

Cheers

Stew

I honestly don't know if ArmA1 supports _ao maps, but we'll be making them for the ArmA2 version so I'll test them out on ArmA1 and see what happens lol.

Sure does. BIS uses the extension _AS on their ambient occlusion maps (probably short for ambient shadowing or some such).

Thanks for the clarification, guys. It'll be really nice to see what the RG looks like with extra shadow detail. I'll update the thread with some pics, once I've actually made the new maps :)