Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89025 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

Download at http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[89021] Experimental: A different way to handle mouse steering is implemented for boats.

[89011] New: A cursor is shown to provide a visual feedback when steering a car.

Please, provide a feedback for the mouse steering improvements. We plan to extend the new "experimental" boat steering to all land vehicles, unless the feedback will be you do not like it. Note: Veterans between you may notice the new steering should resemble the Cold War Crisis vehicle steering in may aspects. The idea is you point the target and the vehicle steers to get there.

Would this steering be optional if you decide to apply it to everything? I assume many people would find it difficult to get used to a change this big.

It seems to be rather okay for boats, but I'm quite concerned about how would this feel while driving cars.

Many people were shocked to find that guns started to have recoil in BIS games in 2010. They adjusted. That was a bigger change.

Would this steering be optional if you decide to apply it to everything? I assume many people would find it difficult to get used to a change this big.

It seems to be rather okay for boats, but I'm quite concerned about how would this feel while driving cars.

This depends on the community feedback. The initial beta builds will have only this "new" steering, but if the community will not like it, we shall see how to address that. Beside of making it optional, it might be also possible to improve it or to fix some particular issues it is causing.

The version for cars (and motos and tanks as well hopefully) should be ready to be tested on monday.

I give the changes a big thumbs-up for driving boats. Very precise, fluid control, and fun, too. I say go for it. Well done.

Edited by OMAC

Guess vehicles will be a little more responsive and smoother for players.

Please improve the AI driving with ships/boats before A3 release. No more "stop&go" driving or suddenly slowing down and changing course. Something like "full speed ahead" and "full stop" would be good as order/command. Plus the possibility to order AI to turn the engine + light (small nav/pos lights) on and off.

would be nice to see someone fixing the broken "Strela/Stinger" shoulder launched AA target lock for players bug. Impossible to lock on helicopters and fighter/bombers. :)

This depends on the community feedback. The initial beta builds will have only this "new" steering, but if the community will not like it, we shall see how to address that. Beside of making it optional, it might be also possible to improve it or to fix some particular issues it is causing.

The version for cars (and motos and tanks as well hopefully) should be ready to be tested on monday.

maybe analog gas and a brake?

This is very nice - I always used to swap to a 360 controller for driving a car/piloting a boat, but I think that I will use mouse if you keep this in. Nice and smooth.

steering boats with the mouse feels now more precise but it's now impossible to drive a boat only with the keyboard (e.g. doing a u-turn)

+1 the response is pretty smooth and controls of cars are more fluid

As I wrote, car controls did not change yet, only a visual indicator was added for them. Experimental new car controls will be present in the next beta.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

steering boats with the mouse feels now more precise but it's now impossible to drive a boat only with the keyboard (e.g. doing a u-turn)

Good find, will be fixed.

As I wrote, car controls did not change yet, only a visual indicator was added for them. Experimental new car controls will be present in the next beta.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

ahhh must be my mind playing tricks on me with the cursor.... must get some sleep i guess...

My impressions:

I'm all for the new system! The advantage is that when you drive a curve (e.g. to the left), you don't need to steer back to the right if you want to go staight forward again. This is something that for me has been annoying as hell because driving with the mouse was very very complicated (and with the keyboard pretty dangerous because the keyboard input only knows 0 or 100%).

This "point the target and the vehicle steers to get there" really is a great improvement (or should I say: a re-introduction) of driving! Looking forward to check out the cars!

but it's now impossible to drive a boat only with the keyboard (e.g. doing a u-turn)

Yes, I agree!

When you have moved the mouse to one side (let's say to the right) but then want to continue steering with the keyboard and press and hold the left key, the boat will begin turning left but after 2 seconds will go to the right again. It feels as the mouse steering still is "locked" and the keyboard input is useless - not sure how to discribe it... It's still improveable though.

Hello

I loaded an AI driver in truck and MHQ on the Domi map and with this beta I cant give him movement commands (W,A,D,S)

Thank you Bis for your ongoing support

OK disregard .... guess this is normal tested on older and is the same ...must be in a something with a weapon on it to work

Edited by mousetrap

[/color]

ahhh must be my mind playing tricks on me with the cursor.... must get some sleep i guess...

Actually, I though the same thing, its more fluid than it used to be...:confused:

[/color]

Actually, I though the same thing, its more fluid than it used to be...:confused:

Me too, its a conspiracy I tell thee :D

Overall the new handling of boats feels much better/smoother.

Me too, its a conspiracy I tell thee :D

Ha! Me three. The visual direction indicator for cars led me to steer with the mouse like I did for the boat, and made me think that there had been a steering change. Even without any changes, steering a car with the mouse is pretty cool!

I like this new idea...mouse steering for cars was always difficult to me, so I just used the keyboard which is not as precise.

Glad to see some new control changes coming about. :D

I am so happy with the addition of this classic feature! I always felt that this was one of the major drawbacks of the transition to the Arma series.

In addition, it will be great if the cursor will allow us to command the AI gunner as we used to in OFP (right click on a target on the radar or a visible target to order the gunner to "Target" it). Please vote for this feature.

THANK YOU!! This is one of the things I really hated when we lost it when ArmA1 came out. With the OFP system you just had to point at the road(or where you are going) and hey presto, smooth analogue steering with the mouse. From ArmA on we had to either switch to keyboard altogether or get used to a mix, neither of which where as smooth.

The visual indicator on the car steering is a very good idea and I like how it works. I would prefer the boats to operate the same... ie it is just a turn indicator not a directional lock. I lose too much simulation feel to boats as the keyboard can not change the direction of the indicator on the boats.. They are locked to that indicator... I would like to have to provide adjustments due to Wave/currents and this technique will negate this. It is too much like a console for me.... Thanks..

Note:- To high-light the different, make a quick mission and place a car and a boat in the map. Drive the car with the mouse and use the keyboard to do a couple of minor direction changes then repeat with the boat. You will see the differences.

Edited by gonk