Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Jeah the Helicopter landing was superb

@Muahaha Ai uses Stairs. in a fight for a town I was a sniper and took position on a roof, a spetznatz climbed up and killed me from behind

@Muahaha Ai uses Stairs. in a fight for a town I was a sniper and took position on a roof, a spetznatz climbed up and killed me from behind

I have never seen AI doing that on it's own, sure with GL4, house patrol script or a direct waypoint it's not a problem, but giving a group of soldiers a SnD waypoint with a 500m completetion radius(like one of the OA vids) in the middle of a city have never made AI climb ladders or entering buildings my end!

Stairs I don't know, but ladders, yes. I've seen AI climb on its own on the top of the silos of chernogorsk to get a better view and shoot at an enemy, but that's OT.

Seems to me that much of the architecture is on multiple levels in OA.

If everyone remembers the Terraces on Saharani and the various docks and facilities that AI simply couldn't walk on, then this could be quite problematic to their CQB if it hasn't been remedied.

I have seen the AI using ladders, but not stairs. If you want to test this out for yourself, go to the armory and play a survival mission on Utes. Go to the highest point you possibly can in the Utes airport tower and go prone. Don't forget to set your enemy AI to the highest level possible. The enemy just bunches up at the bottom of the stairwell and just stays there. :confused:

Stairs I don't know, but ladders, yes. I've seen AI climb on its own on the top of the silos of chernogorsk to get a better view and shoot at an enemy, but that's OT.

Wouldn't say it's OT because i would like to see this in OA(atleast more). I remember trying using UPS script to let a soldier patrol only a small area around silo's with ladders and yes it from time to time used the ladders but it certaintly wasn't something they easily did so i wonder how often they actually do it on their own. Also from playing a lot of domination i have never seen AI using buildings :eek:

i pray to god they have improved the woeful muzzle flashes in arma 2, everytime you fire a gun at night you are greeted with a muzzle flash that looks like it should be in a 15 year old game rather than one made in 2009 !!!

i pray to god they have improved the woeful muzzle flashes in arma 2, everytime you fire a gun at night you are greeted with a muzzle flash that looks like it should be in a 15 year old game rather than one made in 2009 !!!

Hehe yeah i think most of us wishes that would change :p

Sure it would be a nice addition, but I don't see it as necessary. I honeslty could care less (as long as there is a flash, I'm fine) about how that looks. Especially because I only play in first person it doesn't bother me that much.

Sure it would be a nice addition, but I don't see it as necessary. I honeslty could care less (as long as there is a flash, I'm fine) about how that looks. Especially because I only play in first person it doesn't bother me that much.

But in a night-battle in first person it doesn't look nice if the flash is the same every time. At least some variation would be very good, I don't mind how the flash currently looks like, I like it; it's just the lack of flash variation is what bothers me. Maybe some simple flash rotation would do the job :p

Its just a circle of light, never varies and at night it messes with the HDR crap like Hell, makes me completely blind and it covers more screen then the muzzle flash should.

Do what Dragon Rising did, they had great muzzle flashes and they werent obnoxious like the ones in Arma 2 and supposedly OA. :mad:

This:

arma22010-02-1900-17-15-19-1.jpg

Edited by Flash Thunder

But in a night-battle in first person it doesn't look nice if the flash is the same every time. At least some variation would be very good, I don't mind how the flash currently looks like, I like it; it's just the lack of flash variation is what bothers me. Maybe some simple flash rotation would do the job :p

Good point. I forgot about night battles and nvg, probably cause I've been using supressed weapons and no nvg lately (go guerillas). I guess it would be a very nice improvement, lets hope somethings different in OA.

Good point. I forgot about night battles and nvg, probably cause I've been using supressed weapons and no nvg lately (go guerillas). I guess it would be a very nice improvement, lets hope somethings different in OA.

lol I had completely forgotten about this issue till now, which means that either I don't play with modification-less weapons enough at night, or that it's not too big a deal.

With NV on however, the flash looks horrendous and makes me want to turn off NV, even if I can't see anything :D

Its just a circle of light, never varies and at night it messes with the HDR crap like Hell, makes me completely blind and it covers more screen then the muzzle flash should.

Do what Dragon Rising did, they had great muzzle flashes and they werent obnoxious like the ones in Arma 2 and supposedly OA. :mad:

This:

[iM]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/Cammarquez06/arma22010-02-1900-17-15-19-1.jpg[/img]

Small details like this one mentioned, are destroying the fun and potential or ARMA2.

lol I had completely forgotten about this issue till now, which means that either I don't play with modification-less weapons enough at night, or that it's not too big a deal.

With NV on however, the flash looks horrendous and makes me want to turn off NV, even if I can't see anything :D

I think its pretty gamebreaking.

Your vision is already limited with how dark it is on Chernarus

Using un-supressed weapons when using Russia is almost always the case.

The muzzle flash is the size of my fist in comparison to my monitor.

Throw in the fact that it probably doesnt affect AI and we have a huge problem.

Fighting at night is a turn off. :(

Test it yourself

I just seen a Operation Arrowhead "New Mechanics" Video from GameTrailers and...

Woaw!

ULB (or FLIR system) looks quite orgasmic! So, I'm gonna buy it for the new interface, ULB system, new AddOns and new (better?) campaign.

But I think you should've created an AC-130 script, like in Call Of Duty 4... It could have been great in a simulation game!!

I just seen a Operation Arrowhead "New Mechanics" Video from GameTrailers and...

Woaw!

ULB (or FLIR system) looks quite orgasmic! So, I'm gonna buy it for the new interface, ULB system, new AddOns and new (better?) campaign.

But I think you should've created an AC-130 script, like in Call Of Duty 4... It could have been great in a simulation game!!

They would have had to make the AC-130 model to go along with it. For now that seems to be quite the enigma for ArmA2.

Edited for unknown reasons....Ebanks you didn't see it. ;)

Just buy the OA when it comes out.

Edited by Wolfstriked

WolfStrike discussing about piracy is a High crime here.

FYI

Forum rules read them! ;)

On topic: Demo probably coming first week of June since it ships on the 29th

On topic: Demo probably coming first week of June since it ships on the 29th

Let us hope so. I'm anxious to try the new features. I'm curious as to which map, or which "portion" of a single map they will include in the demo. Is it perhaps too much to hope they just give us Zargabad?

I have seen the AI using ladders, but not stairs. If you want to test this out for yourself, go to the armory and play a survival mission on Utes. Go to the highest point you possibly can in the Utes airport tower and go prone. Don't forget to set your enemy AI to the highest level possible. The enemy just bunches up at the bottom of the stairwell and just stays there. :confused:

They will use stairs as long as they have a reason to. Whether or not they decide to go there is another issue. AI don't normally consider building positions, but can certainly be ordered to move there. Right now it's easy enough for mission makers to handle this in a way they see fit, whereas I can see all sorts of issues that would likely arise if the AI actively sought out buildings to move to.

Just to name a few:

1. Depending on how large/complex the building is, it takes them a lot of time to move around in it. If AI just arbitrarily went into buildings while in formation, you'd spend a lot of time waiting for them to catch up when the group starts moving.

2. The AI isn't advanced enough to evaluate the advantages of moving to a specific position in a building. It would have to be an arbitrary selection, and thus you'd see a lot of AI units moving to useless positions in buildings.

3. AI units would start unnecessarily seeking buildings to move to. I can see them running way out of their way just to all pile into the only nearest building when it doesn't make any sense to, or would make them vulnerable.

4. As it is now, it'd be just as easy to run a script to have AI units arbitrarily move to building positions, since it would be no different than if AI did it by default.

My suggestion to you guys is to find some better missions to play that have enemies using buildings or command your AI to use them.