Sign in to follow this  
Double Doppler

Make a face 1-sided or 2-sided

Hello folks, I am working on an add-on at the moment and I have some window glass that needs to be smoothed. I don't want the inside part of the glass to appear (since the other side looks really ugly with the warped face folding after being smoothed and such).

I would like to know how to make a face one sided, and also how to turn it back into a two sided face.

Any helpful replies will be appreciated.

Hello folks, I am working on an add-on at the moment and I have some window glass that needs to be smoothed. I don't want the inside part of the glass to appear (since the other side looks really ugly with the warped face folding after being smoothed and such).

I would like to know how to make a face one sided, and also how to turn it back into a two sided face.

Any helpful replies will be appreciated.

O2 and the ArmA engine doesnt support 2 sided faces properly. The best way to do it is copy and paste your glass then reverse it with the W key.

But NEVER merge it. It will mess with the lighting.

O2 and the ArmA engine doesnt support 2 sided faces properly. The best way to do it is copy and paste your glass then reverse it with the W key.

But NEVER merge it. It will mess with the lighting.

But what can I do if my model has faces that are two sided (eg. an import)? I only want to see one side.

No need to worry about that, material setting from 3ds, Blender and stuff won't be carried on into the game. The engine will treat all faces as one-sided.

No need to worry about that, material setting from 3ds, Blender and stuff won't be carried on into the game. The engine will treat all faces as one-sided.

If all faces are one sided, then how come when I smooth a face in O2, why does the other side appear ugly and crumpled in 3d view and the buldozer?

It seems as if the face is two sided, as if I select one face and move it, it will affect the other side too...

See Rock's answer. Faces might appear as two-sided and the side facing away from the normal might react to light in one way or the other, but they will come out borked ingame most of the time. That's why it's best to treat them as one-sided.

To get rid of double sided faces, you can select the faces you want to keep with the select faces tool, and ctrl+x to cut, then get rid of anything that's remaining that you don't want, then press ctrl+v to paste.

If all faces are one sided, then how come when I smooth a face in O2, why does the other side appear ugly and crumpled in 3d view and the buldozer?

If you have a model where the vertices are somewhat close to each other, they get merged in the import process, and the faces behave in the way you are describing. I had this happen to me last week. You can stop it be disabling the merge option in the import window (lower right hand side, just above the squarize option).

I'm not sure if that's what your problem is, but it's a possibility.

Abs

Thanks, I tried selecting all the faces (from the side I want to see) of the object and cutting, then pasting again. It appears that the faces are only 1-sided now.