Sign in to follow this  
Dreepa

New animations: What does it mean for gameplay?

Here is a real world example of 'tactical pace', however I'm not expecting the animations to look anything like this in-game.

Why not? :)

I think this new "combat pace" will simply allow for a better response in CQC. Meaning once the threat appears you won't have to raise your weapon, you just stop and shoot.[/Quote]

Okay I think I understand better now. You might not actually be using the combat pace to shoot but rather to have your weapon up and ready while moving quickly so you can stop or slow down and quickly fire off your weapon, without haveing to bring it up like you do currently. and of course it can be used for suppressive fire while moving at a a fair pace. I can see how it would be useful.

But I really hope that it is done so that it doesn't make run and gun viable. I trust that Bis knows what its doing though.

and of course it can be used for suppressive fire while moving at a a fair pace. I can see how it would be useful.

But I really hope that it is done so that it doesn't make run and gun viable. I trust that Bis knows what its doing though.

Yes I hope it's not set to default or too difficult to transfer to normal jogging (e.i. double tapping Ctrl), or multiplayer games will look like every other shooter on the planet with the players' weapons constantly propped up aiming ahead. I've always admired the 'weapon down' look in OFP and Arma. Perhaps jogging normally will be faster and so still useful.

The macho stance or relaxed stance as some called it is a result of simple thing that Bi missed when making ArmA: bumping your elbows into pouches hanging off your vest gets really painful so you change the way you walk to avoid it.

I know they do mocap without combat loadout because of technical limitations but whoever made these kept it in mind.

Also, interesting to see the Last Stand pistol shooting in the mocap pictures from dev blog. I just hope this is not a multiplayer perk. ;)

or multiplayer games will look like every other shooter on the planet with the players' weapons constantly propped up aiming ahead. I've always admired the 'weapon down' look in OFP and Arma. Perhaps jogging normally will be faster and so still useful.

It gets tiring holding up a weapon like that all the time. especially saws and heavier. Really hope that "tactical jog" does not replace run but rather simply adds more options for a player to better adapt himself to a situation. IMO it should be slower than normal jogging and very inaccurate. hell I wouldn't mind if after doing it to long you get to tired and have a bunch more weapon sway due to sore arms. Slower than normal jog, more tiring than normal jog, but allowing you shoot very inaccurately and have your weapon at the ready would be the ideal pros and cons of the combat jog. guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I don't expect we'll be able to use the sights fully when doing the combat jog.

I think using it will help the AI because currently they tend to run around like headless chickens in CQB, sprinting from one poorly-defined piece of cover to another while you stand around nonchalantly shooting at them. If they could be spraying you with rounds at the same time, you would respect their movements a lot more.

Hopefully they implement hold mouse bttn for sights as well to better represent real muscle tension plus I just find it more satisfying.

Chill out people, we will have the community alpha to give proper insight and feedback to BIS. That's why they decided to do it. ArmA3 is not just another ArmA. Indeed it is more of a revolution than a simple evolution.

I think most of the discussions should stop for now.

You people speak as if BIS has been disappointing you for all those years.

I think they did a lot of good job.

Every aspect of preferation can be modified with mods.

Kinda silly to tell people not to discuss the new animations that were just shown to us :rolleyes:

This is mere discussion and not overt criticism nor heated argument.

I think most of the discussions should stop for now.

You people speak as if BIS has been disappointing you for all those years.

I think they did a lot of good job.

Every aspect of preferation can be modified with mods.

I don't see any reason to stop discussing. I'm sure your right. BIS is going to do a great job no matter what. And even if they don't, there isn't much we can do about. But personally, discussing this kind of stuff is the closeest I can get to the game until the alpha comes out. I am not trying to criticize BIS at all, just talking about how there future animation could possibly turn out and effect gameplay. I don't think anyone is getting upset or anything.

I think using it will help the AI because currently they tend to run around like headless chickens in CQB, sprinting from one poorly-defined piece of cover to another while you stand around nonchalantly shooting at them. If they could be spraying you with rounds at the same time, you would respect their movements a lot more.

good point. in addition, currently when the ai make there little sprints when they finally reach their destination they have to perform an awkward rotation to face you and then raise their weapon. With "combat jog" their weapon will already be raised and ready, and hopefully the other new animations will make their rotation look more natural and quick.

I really think the new animations will "improve" the ai by quite a bit. They may not actually perform any differently but they will appear to be more human and that alone will make people think they are "smarter".

Hmm, i guess the feature of blending Animations and not beeing forced to "Play them to their end" would be fine.

And as far i can imagine, blending various animationlayers is somthing that needs fast Vector transformation/Transition ...

... just to point out what physiX could do for us in that case.

Btw.: 100% Agree to the Pants full of bricks.^^

To steer the discussion to the right track, i can only say that the name "tactical pace" already contains all hints you need (tactical reffering to? pace reffering to?) :)

Panda reads my mind :eek:

Edited by Smookie

Are you going to recreate that scene in-game for us? :p

It's confirmed by a dev! The tactical pace will look exactly like this! ZOMg everyone tell the news media!!!:p

I agree with HKFlash, I think the whole point of a tactical pace is to have your weapon already raised, if you fire while doing it you're not going to be as accurate as if you stop or drop to one knee. So no I'd say even though it might seem like we can "run & gun" now I doubt it would be effective for anything short of shooting someone a few meters away.

Maybe tactical slings will be introduced, and wearing one will make you more accurate while moving!? O.o Ahh just dreaming...

I agree with HKFlash, I think the whole point of a tactical pace is to have your weapon already raised, if you fire while doing it you're not going to be as accurate as if you stop or drop to one knee. So no I'd say even though it might seem like we can "run & gun" now I doubt it would be effective for anything short of shooting someone a few meters away.[/Quote]

Yes I agree. I think tactical pace is going to be great for making close quarters smoother to play.

Also the addition of high/low versions of each stance sounds really neat. There are probably going to be twice as many controls in a3 than in a2. But I think it's going be well worth it.

Obviously the high low Stances will be useful for players to peak up over cover or duck down below cover without going fully prone. But what I am really interested to know is whether the ai will be able to take advantage of these stances to better conceal or fully hide themselves when suppressed. This would be so awesome.

Edited by -Coulum-

It sounds cool. So you can double tap control and lower/raise weapon while jogging too?

Did they mention anything above ALT and peeking over obstacles or will the animations alone cover that? (With no need to bother on anything else)

Because I don't fully trust animations. :p

Yes I agree. I think tactical pace is going to be great for making close quarters smoother to play.

Also the addition of high/low versions of each stance sounds really neat. There are probably going to be twice as many controls in a3 than in a2. But I think it's going be well worth it.

Obviously the high low Stances will be useful for players to peak up over cover or duck down below cover without going fully prone. But what I am really interested to know is whether the ai will be able to take advantage of these stances to better conceal or fully hide themselves when suppressed. This would be so awesome.

Why would there be twice as many? SMK Animation Pack has 2 crouch positions, press C to drop right knee into a more stable stance, press C to raise back up.

Haha. I was kind of over exaggerating. But still there is going to need to be a key to go to the raised/lowered variation of each stance. Then there needs to be a way to switch to tactical pace. And I'm pretty sure there going to be a bunch more animations still to come. I'm sure many tricks such as cycling through paces or shift/ctrl/alt combos will be used but in the end there is still going to be much more to remember interns of controlling your soldier. I think it will definitely be worth it though.

Haha. I was kind of over exaggerating. But still there is going to need to be a key to go to the raised/lowered variation of each stance. Then there needs to be a way to switch to tactical pace. And I'm pretty sure there going to be a bunch more animations still to come. I'm sure many tricks such as cycling through paces or shift/ctrl/alt combos will be used but in the end there is still going to be much more to remember interns of controlling your soldier. I think it will definitely be worth it though.

Or they could do radial menus, and one for each feature that requires multiple variants...

They could always just replace the lean keys with the left and right variations of each stance (if they are actually similar to peeking). And for up down maybe double tapping or holding stance keys for up and down variations. I don't think it would require more keys, and if it's implemented properly it shouldn't need any new keys. Currently I don't think there's a way to do anything by 'holding' a key down. Only single tap and double tap, so if the control system supported holding keys down for certain actions it would open up a lot of possibilities.

EDIT: Oh yeah, movement keys obviously support holding keys down.:p I mean something like a different crouch position when holding the crouch key and another when tapping it/double tapping it.

Edited by Clarkey1

yeah there are going to be many ways to fit all the controls onto the keyboard. What I am saying is that it is still going to be a lot to learn and get used... but I am happy, its going to add even more depth to arma 3. New players may be daunted however if the campaign doesn't easy them into it and just stuffs all the controls down their throat.

I say:

Make the C key the toogle crouch stance

Make the X key the toogle prone stance

Use the Z key to fluidly adjust your height/lean based on what stance you have , just like in R6.The 6 DOF system from Take On Helicopters can be used for this.

Do you mean the' tactical pace' animations really are going to look similar to the way those troops fire and move in the video! This has really exceeded my expectations, you guys are kicking all kinds of ass!

BTW I hope you and the team are pleased with all the positive comments posted around the internet about the Stratis teaser, the animations and graphics have created a lot of buzz around the gaming forums, it must be cool to see other gaming communities getting excited about Arma3.

I hope we will actually be able to aim while walking now, and the tactical pace will have a sway more similar to the sway we have on walk now.