i wish DEVs would improve stealth aspect a lot. Me and a buddy liking night stealth op missions. But it can be really disspointing, when guys without NVGs spot you at quite far distances, you can't sneak up on them from behind, they will turn around when you closer then like 20 meters and just shoot you. They will get alerted, when you shoot a patrol down with silenced weapons quick, without letting the patrol guys shoot back, and you are geting shoot by the guys standing 100m away, like they have perfect ears to hear, there were shooting silencers.

Thats because your not using the right AI Mod Trust me with out this mod you will hate Arma 3 its called BCombat I'm one of the testers for it and it is awesome ...http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167288-WIP-bCombat-infantry-AI-Mod-SP...................give that a try

Doesn't work for MP scenarios right now. Some improvement has to be made by Bis.

I don't want this to look like I'm jumping on the bandwagon however, while we'll on the subject i thought I'd add this. I created a mission today that highlights some of the issues discussed earlier. 50-60 sports car were placed in the north east airfield in Atlis, all with waypoints to a small farm in the far south west. It was a muck about race i use to play back in OFP and i expected it to be a similar experience. It wasn't. Anyways i start and immediately start to over take loads of cars, crashes and runners (civi's outa their car) and reach the check point after around 15-20mins. After a considerable time i find that not one of the cars got past the halfway point, and only about 30 civi's remained alive. (Presumably the rest died through roadkill or a horrific crash). I do have some good news, anyone looking for some comedy now has something to do. Enjoy.

Yes it does :)

Good news then, on the original post it say SP only, so I thought it wouldn't work on a dedicated server.

on the original post it say SP only,

My thought too -thats why i never bothered to look at it :confused:

I don't want this to look like I'm jumping on the bandwagon however, while we'll on the subject i thought I'd add this. I created a mission today that highlights some of the issues discussed earlier. 50-60 sports car were placed in the north east airfield in Atlis, all with waypoints to a small farm in the far south west. It was a muck about race i use to play back in OFP and i expected it to be a similar experience. It wasn't. Anyways i start and immediately start to over take loads of cars, crashes and runners (civi's outa their car) and reach the check point after around 15-20mins. After a considerable time i find that not one of the cars got past the halfway point, and only about 30 civi's remained alive. (Presumably the rest died through roadkill or a horrific crash). I do have some good news, anyone looking for some comedy now has something to do. Enjoy.

maybe i could record this, speed it up twice, and put Benny Hill Show music over it? ;)

Adjusted: Dynamic Calculated Error for AI, working on turrets, reacting to loosing sight of target

Some tweaks in the AI behavior were introduced in today's dev branch. There might be more details later, but let's put it short - the AI makes mistakes (By that I don't mean the bugs ;))

Generally the firefights and engagements should be more intense, enjoyable and less frustrating. The average AI should no longer give you a head-shot off-hand. (...according to their skill :devil:). And AI gunners shouldn't be flawless top killing machines anymore.

It definitely does not solve all the things (e.g. detection, decision making, recoil control), but at least it hopefully softens some of the problems.

Together with

... 0.4 (Pvt.) to 0.7 (Col.), which should help the average soldier to have an average skill ...
the average soldier should have become more... average. By default, without a need to change the AI settings unless you wish to. That's anyway a goal we'd like to achieve a we are humbly asking you to help us with it.

Please, spam us with your observations and feedback how has the battleground changed for you and whether it has improved the firefights, AI taking a shot, for you.

For that I recommend sticking to the average values (Similar to the range mentioned above. AI with skill 0.2 is about the lowest skill you should see/use in the game and so should be its behavior) and rather using default difficulty settings (I'd say global AI skill within the range 0.6-0.8, without changing the precision manually). But if you want to go further and check whether different values work better even with the current conditions - we'd be happy for it as well!

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

(and I will try to read thru your last posts asap. I've quickly notices some driving issues...yes, neither I was able to get my driver from one side of Altis to the other, you know, it is a thing with the drivers from the southern countries ;))

silly question :(

do you mean the skill slider in the unit placement window or the options difficulty menu?

I know I know silly me right :)

oh! and thanks oukej! keep the AI tweaks coming

Edited by tyl3r99

do you mean the skill slider in the unit placement window or the options difficulty menu?

I've kind of meant both.

On the slider in the editor default unit gets 0.6, placed-in-group units get a skill ranging from 0.4 to 0.7 and a spawned unit gets 0.5 - so something like this. 0.2 is a lower extreme value, 0.8 or rather 1.0 is/should be upper extreme.

In the (Configure/Game) Difficulty settings it may be best to stick to the default Regular or something let's say ranging from 0.6 to 0.8

But - do it anyway you like. There is never enough feedback. Just please let us always know what configuration you were approx. running.

Thanks a lot!

oh! and thanks oukej! keep the AI tweaks coming

Let's wait with thanks for how much you like the change ;)

Let's wait with thanks for how much you like the change ;)

I don't mind. You're welcome guys :)

cool news, Anything to await in therms of stealth and AI?

Edited by NeuroFunker

cool news, Anything to await un therms stealth and AI?

ooo interesting question, stealth improvements would be amazing!!

Some tweaks in the AI behavior were introduced in today's dev branch. There might be more details later, but let's put it short - the AI makes mistakes (By that I don't mean the bugs )

Generally the firefights and engagements should be more intense, enjoyable and less frustrating. The average AI should no longer give you a head-shot off-hand. (...according to their skill ). And AI gunners shouldn't be flawless top killing machines anymore.

It definitely does not solve all the things (e.g. detection, decision making, recoil control), but at least it hopefully softens some of the problems.

Well I just played a five minute firefight with ai and it felt pretty good. I did notice that while pinned behind a rock wall by a machinegunner about 100 metres away, when I peeked out he often didn't insta hit/headshot me like I sometimes remember experiencing the previous ai doing. Seemed more believable - but sometimes that just happens by fluke aswell - or placebo. I will hopefully get to test this new addition more thoroughly later. It does sound very promising though.

Good to see dev branch updates start up again and even better to see ai updates again. Great job devs, hope you had a good break.

Well I just played a five minute firefight with ai and it felt pretty good. I did notice that while pinned behind a rock wall by a machinegunner about 100 metres away, when I peeked out he often didn't insta hit/headshot me like I sometimes remember experiencing the previous ai doing. Seemed more believable - but sometimes that just happens by fluke aswell - or placebo. I will hopefully get to test this new addition more thoroughly later. It does sound very promising though.

Good to see dev branch updates start up again and even better to see ai updates again. Great job devs, hope you had a good break.

I am experiencing tanks missing their static armored targets. I suppose this tweak has impact on this? I mean, this is exactly what I wanted for AI (ability of turret gunners to miss) but I am not sure if tanks are supposed to miss another tank (target locking should be hi-tech enough, no?). However, turret gunners should be definitely able to miss infantry more so this is a welcomed tweak. Thank you BIS.

Holy balls, 0.56 precision for the AI is still wicked high.

These are my settings:

skillFriendly=0.75030291;

skillEnemy=0.75959557;

precisionFriendly=0.55054516;

precisionEnemy=0.56727201;

I placed myself 300m away from an OPFOR fireteam (skill levels at default, so 30-50%), which means no optics at all. I went prone and shot at them for a while (takes more than two shots now, yay!) to get their attention. Once they spotted me, they started landing hits within 2-3 seconds, and then simply filled me with dozens of holes. I was taking more than a bullet per second, with practically no respite.

Playing in CQB, their accuracy seems fair. At 50m and 100m they have a 45-30% hit rate against stationary standing targets, still almost irrespective of stance (crouch is still the worst, and prone is rarely an improvement over standing). But further out, that accuracy was brutal for that level of precision, which I assume is somewhere near default.

Holy balls, 0.56 precision for the AI is still wicked high.

These are my settings:

skillFriendly=0.75030291;

skillEnemy=0.75959557;

precisionFriendly=0.55054516;

precisionEnemy=0.56727201;

I placed myself 300m away from an OPFOR fireteam (skill levels at default, so 30-50%), which means no optics at all. I went prone and shot at them for a while (takes more than two shots now, yay!) to get their attention. Once they spotted me, they started landing hits within 2-3 seconds, and then simply filled me with dozens of holes. I was taking more than a bullet per second, with practically no respite.

Playing in CQB, their accuracy seems fair. At 50m and 100m they have a 45-30% hit rate against stationary standing targets, still almost irrespective of stance (crouch is still the worst, and prone is rarely an improvement over standing). But further out, that accuracy was brutal for that level of precision, which I assume is somewhere near default.

Well, this does not sound very good yet.

Some tweaks in the AI behavior were introduced in today's dev branch. There might be more details later, but let's put it short - the AI makes mistakes (By that I don't mean the bugs ;))

Thanks for the heads-up...Sounds like it's time to switch back to dev branch again.

ooo interesting question, stealth improvements would be amazing!!

+1

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Played a part of the campaign yesterday on Regular settings. I came across an AI but I was prone and crawling, so he did not detect me at 200m. I got spotted once I fired upon him at that range and downed him. Other started shooting at me, so I got up and started running. I could hear shots impacting around me, but they did not get me while I was running.

This part used to be deadly for me previously, perhaps an effect from the changes?

Played a part of the campaign yesterday on Regular settings. I came across an AI but I was prone and crawling, so he did not detect me at 200m. I got spotted once I fired upon him at that range and downed him. Other started shooting at me, so I got up and started running. I could hear shots impacting around me, but they did not get me while I was running.

This part used to be deadly for me previously, perhaps an effect from the changes?

I was rarely killed while running horizontally or diagonally to the enemy in ARMA 2 and 3. No matter the version.

What skill settings in difficulty?

/KC

I was rarely killed while running horizontally or diagonally to the enemy in ARMA 2 and 3. No matter the version.

Right, my observation was that I did not get insta-killed by the AI that I engaged, nor by the other AI who noticed me due to my shooting. And that was before I started running.

No mods, except STHUD

Running in Regular skill setting, this is in my Profile under class Regular (haven't touched it, should be vanilla):

skillFriendly=0.64999998;

skillEnemy=0.40000001;

precisionFriendly=0.36999995;

precisionEnemy=0.1;

Edited by Old_Painless