Sign in to follow this  
swoop

Freedom fighters......ends too soon.

Well, I played it again after updated to 1.05 and find out the Russian defenses are tuned up a bit... Remember to bring something heavier with you...

I finished the mission by capturing the first town, putting it full of defences and walls, then I grabbed a boat to the russian base, destroyed the hq with a lot of rpg's, I also attacked their vehicle factory, dont know if that is needed because no hq=no money right?

Then the russians stopped attacking and the mission became a whole lot easier, this was in version 1.02 I believe.

I just started this last night and got capped pretty quickly. So, hit their base first while they're unprepared? I haven't even found their base yet.

I just started this last night and got capped pretty quickly. So, hit their base first while they're unprepared? I haven't even found their base yet.

Check the mission details in the map view and it stated where the base suppose to be.

What's the point in exploiting game mechanics? Isn't the idea to use guerilla tactics? Not even Che Guevera captured Cuba in 3hrs... and he wrote the book on guerilla warfare.

Edited by Ogryzek

What's the point in exploiting game mechanics? Isn't the idea to use guerilla tactics? Not even Che Guevera captured Cuba in 3hrs... and he wrote the book on guerilla warfare.

Guerillas don't usually play to capture and hold territory in conventional warfare, which is what you have to do in this scenario, where there is a time limit, a vulnerable, static base, and you lose if you don't hold any towns. So you are left shooting RPGs at platoons of tanks in open landscapes.

And rushing the enemy base is no walk in the park. Once you get there, it's swarming with BTRs and infantry. Since the dipshit High Command AI takes forever to build a vehicle factory, there's nothing you can do except start a one-sided firefight. Meanwhile, your village up north is getting buried.

Edited by maturin

And rushing the enemy base is no walk in the park. Once you get there, it's swarming with BTRs and infantry. Since the dipshit High Command AI takes forever to build a vehicle factory, there's nothing you can do except start a one-sided firefight. Meanwhile, your village up north is getting buried.

I've replayed this mission a few times and noted some behaviors of the Russians that help you to rush their base easier. I know that they have a LOT of soldiers and BTRs defending the base. However, when one of their towns was fallen into our side. The Russians will start to send their troops to other towns near by using the same manner of "fast travel" (the units "disappeared" suddenly), and left only about 1/3 of the original garrisons. At this point their new units are yet to be built. Seize this opportunity to clean up the base using the tactics I suggested. Of cause it still possible to be killed and reload previous save a few times during this key period, but IMO it is a easier way to complete this mission.

And talking about the "infinity re-spawning" enemy soldiers even after their base destroyed, I found that they are the "commandable" units of the enemy. Seems like that the warfare engine tries to retain all such units so they keep re-spawning once they are wiped out even no capable building is exist. I thing BI should do something on this!

Also note that you can take command anytime if you wish. If you afraid of a captured town being retaken by the Russian, you can vote the command to yourself and keep the only two friendly units to defend it until you got the upper hand.

When I was trying to destroy the base, the Russians were swarming Msta and still defending Elektrazavodsk. Maybe I should have waited.

But even if I did get near their base, how am I to find two RPGs for every building, especially when they rebuild them in seconds until they run out of money?

I wasn't even aware that you could be the NAPA commander. :/

Edit: And omfg, I just answered my own question. You gets incredibly lucky and hit a BTR with an RPG so that the crew is incinerated but the vehicle is unharmed. Then their BTRs all glitched out and fired nothing but ATGMs, and I was able to cannon their buildings out. Then three of the objectives failed or canceled for no reason and after two hours and some village musical chairs I won.

Edited by maturin

When I was trying to destroy the base, the Russians were swarming Msta and still defending Elektrazavodsk. Maybe I should have waited.

But even if I did get near their base, how am I to find two RPGs for every building, especially when they rebuild them in seconds until they run out of money?

I wasn't even aware that you could be the NAPA commander. :/

Edit: And omfg, I just answered my own question. You gets incredibly lucky and hit a BTR with an RPG so that the crew is incinerated but the vehicle is unharmed. Then their BTRs all glitched out and fired nothing but ATGMs, and I was able to cannon their buildings out. Then three of the objectives failed or canceled for no reason and after two hours and some village musical chairs I won.

You don't even need to get near them... Have you read my previous reply @ #25?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1574157&postcount=25

With this tactic, I wiped out the Russian base way before sunrise! But I have new finding after recent replays:

I found 6 satchel charges not enough to destroy the office building in most case, so I took a Pickup instead and bring another 6 with me... Also the Russian might have a few T-72s with them at the very beginning occasionally(I only encounter once, in fact), but the ZU-23 is powerful enough to destroy them in a few burst so don't worry too much. And the position of the ZU-23 is also crucial! If you placed "too south", part of the base will be blocked by a civilian house. "Too north" you might not able to see the base until the sunlight lighten up a bit, meaning wasting some valuable time. "Too west" or "too east" might put you in a LOS of the enemy's static defense. IMO the best position is "just south" of the strong point.

In addition, if you have LOS of the remaining BTR, I suggest to kill it first because they have a good shot.

Also my tip on preventing the AI rebuilding the destroyed structures:

Always destroy the HQ first!

My personal preference order of destruction:

1. HQ

2. Heavy Factory

3. Barrack

4. Light Factory

5. Service Point

Edited by Airborne_hk

Ah, I didn't know you could even arm captured strongpoints in enemy towns.

But does bombing the office get you anything? I chucked a few Konkurs at it, but ended up winning with it still standing.

Ah, I didn't know you could even arm captured strongpoints in enemy towns.

But does bombing the office get you anything? I chucked a few Konkurs at it, but ended up winning with it still standing.

Well, nothing other than just one more task completed...

Arma 2 1.08 within CO with beta patch 1.58.78967

Initial thrash with Freedom Fighters was described here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=115802

I finally "finished" this scenario, but it will not officially end with the screen describing your points and victory/defeat information. Can anyone suggest how I can get it to really end, or is it just bugged?

After many, many hours of desperate asymmetrical warfare against far superior forces, this is my situation:

1) offices blown before sunrise using 2 satchel charges (objective completed - green)

2) all towns and Elektro captured (objective not completed before sunrise- red "x")

3) base destroyed - no buildings remaining (objective not completed before sunrise- red "x")

4) both checkpoints destroyed (one before sunrise, one not - red "x" still appears on map at one checkpoint)

5) more than 10 "Recon" objectives completed (green)

Enemy troops are continuously respawning from the strongpoint at the enemy base - at the rate of about 1 per second.

I have over $110,000 in cash. I can't buy any more BTRs, as I get the "Can't reinforce - Gro" message. It is about 1pm local time, about 7.5 hours after the insurgency began.

I played under AI commander, Veteran single player, with unlimited saves enabled. I'd love to hear from someone who completed this with only one user save (default Veteran). They deserve a case of beer. Or two.

After finally capturing Elektro, I got the green "completed" marker for the scenario on the main scenario screen.

My guess is that after all the complaints about the 3 hour time limit, BI removed the time limit in later versions, but somehow the scenario is still bugged in terms of completion.

Completing all objectives before sunrise is so unbelievably hard, I don't see how anyone can do it. The trick must involve taking some men to the Island, loading up with RPGs, and going to the base to destroy it. Good luck with that. Have fun with those BTRs and sniper troops. As far as I am concerned, there is no way to destroy the base without capturing an enemy vehicle with some firepower (must be done quickly before the vehicle vanishes from under your feet), or with a ZU-23 from the hill above Elektro. The latter option is very difficult to master, as BTRs and troops will obtain "super targeting mode" in which they can snipe you from 400+ meters away, even in darkness and through vegetation. And then there's the respawning grenade launcher jeeps and dual-machine gun vehicles. Most importantly, even if the base is destroyed before sunrise, it will respawn, eventually producing even tanks. That is a major buzzkill. :(

Another guess is that very, very few people have played through this scenario in the last year under the more recent Arma 2 patches. Needless to say, this scenario has EXTREMELY limited appeal as currently configured.

I finally "finished" this scenario, but it will not officially end with the screen describing your points and victory/defeat information. Can anyone suggest how I can get it to really end, or is it just bugged?

Without any knowledge about that mission, I say with 60% probability it is bugged in the end. If that mission is really that hard and unbalanced, I suspect not so many have played it and provided enough feedback straight to the developers leaving the end part unfinished. Just like in these COOP missions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=114818

Try playing from your last save and recording video about it with Fraps or similar program. Then put video on pause mode and try to locate the part where mission fades away to after mission screen. If you find a slide with Debfriefing showing and then disappearing in the next slide, then yes it is same problem.

Thank you, Hanzu. I can't find the "debriefing" item, either. Here is the description.ext for the scenario:

respawn = 3;

respawnDelay = 15;

respawnDialog = false;

onLoadMission = $STRMISSION.SQMMISSION_INTEL0_9;

doneKeys[]={"BIS_SP04"};

class Header

{

gameType = CTI;

minPlayers = 1;

maxPlayers = 16;

};

class Params

{

//Victory Conditions.

class VictoryTime

{

title = $STRWFMISSIONENDTIME;

values[] = {-1,30,45,60,90,120,180,300};

texts[] = {$STRWFNA,"30","45","60","90","120","180","300"};

default = -1;

};

class VictoryScore

{

title = $STRWFSCORENEEDED;

values[] = {-1,10,25,50,100,150,250,500,1000};

texts[] = {$STRWFNA,"10","25","50","100","150","250","500","1000"};

default = -1;

};

class VictoryTowns

{

title = $STRWFTOWNSNEEDED;

values[] = {-1,1000,1,2,3,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40};

texts[] = {$STRWFNA,$STRWFALL,"1","2","3","5","10","15","20","25","30","35","40"};

default = -1;

};

//Mission variables.

class CapturableTowns

{

title = $STRWFTOWNSPRESENT;

values[] = {-1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,15,20,25,30,35,40};

texts[] = {$STRWFALL,"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","15","20","25","30","35","40"};

default = 15;

};

class FasterTime

{

title = $STRWFPARAM1C;

values[] = {0,0.25,0.5,1,2,4};

texts[] = {$STRWFOFF,$STRWFFASTTIME15,$STRWFFASTTIME30,$STRWFFASTTIME60,$STRWFFASTTIME120,$STRWFFASTTIME240};

default = 0;

};

class MinStartingDistance

{

title = $STRWFMINSTARTDISTANCE;

values[] = {0,-500,-250,250,500,2500};

texts[] = {$STRWFMISSIONDEFAULT,$STRWFVERYLOW,$STRWFLOW,$STRWFMEDIUM,$STRWFHIGH,$STRWFVERYHIGH};

default = 0;

};

class MiscSettings

{

title = $STRWFMISCSETTINGS;

values[] = {0,1,2,3};

texts[] = {$STRWFALLON,$STRWFALLOFF,$STRWFNOCIVS,$STRWFNOGRASS};

default = 0;

};

class NeutralOpposition

{

title = $STRWFNEUTRALOPPOSITION;

values[] = {-2,-1,0,1,2,3};

texts[] = {$STRWFVERYLOW,$STRWFLOW,$STRWFNORMAL,$STRWFMEDIUM,$STRWFHIGH,$STRWFVERYHIGH};

default = 0;

};

class SideColorScheme

{

title = $STRWFSIDECOLORSCHEME;

values[] = {0,1};

texts[] = {$STRWFABSOLUTECOLORS,$STRWFRELATIVECOLORS};

default = 0;

};

class StartTime

{

title = $STRWFSTARTTIME;

values[] = {-1,100,5,7,11,12,14,18,22,2};

texts[] = {$STRWFMISSIONDEFAULT,$STRWFRANDOM,$STRWFEARLYMORNING,$STRWFMORNING,$STRWFEARLYAFTERNOON,$STRWFAFTERNOON,$STRWFLATEAFTERNOON,$STRWFEVENING,$STRWFNIGHT,$STRWFLATENIGHT};

default = -1;

};

class Support

{

title = $STRWFSUPPORT;

values[] = {-1,0,1,2,3,4};

texts[] = {$STRWFMISSIONDEFAULT,$STRWFNONE,$STRWFFREE,$STRWFCHEAP,$STRWFNORMAL,$STRWFEXPENSIVE};

default = -1;

};

class TownSpawnRange

{

title = $STRWFTOWNRANGE;

values[] = {-4,-2,0,2,4,8};

texts[] = {$STRWFVERYLOW,$STRWFLOW,$STRWFNORMAL,$STRWFMEDIUM,$STRWFHIGH,$STRWFVERYHIGH};

default = 0;

};

class TownSpawnTime

{

title = $STRWFTOWNTIME;

values[] = {-90,-30,0,90,150,450};

default = 0;

};

};

The behavior I'm getting is that the mission never ends - it never returns to the main SP scenario list screen. For you, the problematic MP scenarios DID return to the main screen, right?

Here is the winConditions.sqf:

/*

File: winConditions.sqf

Author: Joris-Jan van 't Land

Description:

Set-up and check the win conditions for Freedom Fighters.

Returns:

Boolean success flag

*/

//Wait for WF to initialize the cities.

//waitUntil {!(isNil "PustaSideID")};

waitUntil {!(isNil "BIS_WF_CoreCommonInitialized")};

waitUntil {BIS_WF_CoreCommonInitialized};

Sleep 20; //wait a bit (there were errors with undefined BIS_officesTask)

BIS_captureCount = 0;

BIS_captureCountEast = 0;

//using BIS_WF_EastBaseDestroyed & BIS_WF_ResistanceBaseDestroyed set by WF

//BIS_resistanceBaseDestroyed = false;

//BIS_opforBaseDestroyed = false;

BIS_timeUp = false;

//Check the status of captured cities every 10 seconds.

while {true} do

{

//Check for the time deadine of 3 hours

if ((time > (3 * 3600)) && !BIS_timeUp) then {BIS_timeUp = true};

//Check the capture progress

BIS_captureCount =

{

//call (compile format ["%1SideID == 256", _x]);

(_x getVariable "side") == sideJoined;

} count towns;

BIS_captureCountEast =

{

//call (compile format ["%1SideID == 128", _x]);

(_x getVariable "side") == east;

} count towns;

//Update tasks' status.

if ((taskState BIS_officesTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if (isnil "BIS_offices") then

{

BIS_offices = (BIS_officesTaskPos nearObjects ["Land_A_Office01", 15]) select 0;

};

if ((damage BIS_offices) == 1) then

{

BIS_officesTask setTaskState "Succeeded";

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_cpTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

//Set to correct destination(s) for CP.

if ((player distance (markerPos "BIS_checkpoint1")) <= (player distance (markerPos "BIS_checkpoint2"))) then

{

BIS_cpTask setSimpleTaskDestination (markerPos "BIS_checkpoint1");

}

else

{

BIS_cpTask setSimpleTaskDestination (markerPos "BIS_checkpoint2");

};

//Succeed the task when finished.

if (BIS_cp1Seized && BIS_cp2Seized) then

{

BIS_cpTask setTaskState "Succeeded";

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_hqTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if (!(isnil "BIS_WF_EastBaseDestroyed")) then

{

if (BIS_WF_EastBaseDestroyed) then

{

BIS_hqTask setTaskState "Succeeded";

};

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_villagesTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if ((count towns) > 0) then

{

if (BIS_captureCount == (count towns)) then

{

BIS_villagesTask setTaskState "Succeeded";

};

};

};

sleep 10;

};

true

Here is the processEndTasks.sqf:

/*

File: processEndTasks.sqf

Author: Joris-Jan van 't Land

Description:

Process the final state of all tasks when the mission ends.

Returns:

Success flag (Boolean)

*/

//Fail tasks that were not succeeded at the end of the mission.

if ((taskState BIS_officesTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if ((damage BIS_offices) < 1) then

{

BIS_officesTask setTaskState "Failed";

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_cpTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if (!BIS_cp1Seized || !BIS_cp2Seized) then

{

BIS_cpTask setTaskState "Failed";

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_hqTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if (!BIS_WF_EastBaseDestroyed) then

{

BIS_hqTask setTaskState "Failed";

};

};

if ((taskState BIS_villagesTask) in ["Assigned", "Created"]) then

{

if (BIS_captureCount < ((count towns) / 2)) then

{

BIS_villagesTask setTaskState "Failed";

};

};

true

The only point where I think the scenario could have ended is after I captured Elektro, when I got the green "completed" marker on the main SP scenario list screen. My save game for that period has been overwritten. Without having played the scenario, I doubt that any of the above will give you any clue as to what I have to do to have it end normally.

It looks from the above that the 3 hr time limit has not been removed, as I guessed. Something else is wrong. Does the order of town capture and objective completion matter? I pretty much ignored what the AI commander told me to do and accomplished the nearest objective at hand.

Edited by OMAC

I think "Debriefing = 1" is not there either when mission fully works, because I have not seen it in missions I know that are working. So I assume missions are defaulted to "Debriefing = 1" by engine or something.

So basically that command has meaning only when mission wants to make a silly mission without debriefing "Debriefing = 0"

My undestanding for scripting is poor. So I really can't debug any of those. I tried to use Squint to find bugs in those COOP missions, but I soon saw it will give all kinds of false alarms and gave up, putting all my hopes on BI developers to find what is causing the bug.

But believe me I above all know how irritating it is when mission will not end correctly. To me they are the worst bugs of all - even worse than any crash or performance issues.

In your case it can also be a bad trigger. Meaning there was a situation where mission should have ended but scripting and triggers just didn't work and it is past that point now. I have seen such things for example in COOP 08 Payback. If you kill all enemies, but have not triggered one task/objective before it, it will not trigger anymore when there is no enemies around that the task required.

If you still play it, copy your savegames somewhere every now and then to have more to choose if you need to go back few steps.

I have copied saved games to separate folders to preserve them. But I still over-wrote an important one. I think you are right that a bad trigger screwed my game, wasting days of time.

Hi,

nice to see the mission is still played. I just destroyed the base at Elektro. I used the hint of capturing the northern strongpoint, built some Zu23 and had an evil time to destroy the buildings again and again...never again ! Only some troopers and one UAZ left, no respawning anymore. Now i'm happy to continue the mission the "normal way", i hope it ends after all. :)

Another bad thing i had, sometimes my fps went from full 60 (vsync on) on "very high" to 1 fps (!) making it unplayable. :mad: Had to set it on "very low" to go on at all. Right now it works again on "very high". Until now i couldn't find the reason for this. :confused:

Another bad thing i had, sometimes my fps went from full 60 (vsync on) on "very high" to 1 fps (!) making it unplayable. :mad: Had to set it on "very low" to go on at all. Right now it works again on "very high". Until now i couldn't find the reason for this. :confused:

I have experienced something similar in area north and northwest of Electro. There could be something wrong with the map/world combined to heavy script looping and/or memory leaking. Will drain down FPS down just because of extreme CPU load.

Even if above assumptions are just imagination fact is Electro is biggest town in that map and looking from north down to town and sea is bit of a FPS killer if all video settings are maxed.

Remember also that destroyed enemy vehicles and enemy corpses may also consume considerable amount hardware power with high video settings. So after heavy enemy respawn game will slow down. Back in my old hardware setup I have seen game to speed up when I chose Hide Body for enemy corpses. That was because I kept on very high detail which made those corpses to load CPU heavily, atleast with my old rig.

Your hardware setup has some similarity to my new rig. Atleast with that Phantom and SSD. With all that power we could assume there has to be something wrong when game can squeeze FPS down to 1 or 2.

I had been playing with vsync on (+ triple buffering from NVIDIA control panel), but just found that turning vsync off increases FPS a little with no noticeable loss of quality, no "tearing". I use 1680x1050, very high quality settings.

I do get frame rate drops when I use scopes, especially that of the ZU-23. Frame rates also drop a little when I'm killing hundreds of spawning men at a time as they pop out of the ground. Quite realistic, that is, BIS. NOT!

Alienware Area 51 X58

ASUS X58 P6T Deluxe motherboard with integrated sound (SoundMAX)

Core i7 940 2.93 GHz

6 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHZ (3 x ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ JEDEC STANDARD PC3-1066)

NVIDIA GTX 295 (2 PCB), no overclock, Video BIOS: 62.00.4E.00.02

Win 7 Home Premium x64

Dell 2408WFP monitor, 1920x1200, 59 (60) Hz

WESTERN DIGITAL 300GB 10,000rpm SATA HDD REV2 main hard drive

1000 watt power supply

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Hi,

nice to see the mission is still played. I just destroyed the base at Elektro. I used the hint of capturing the northern strongpoint, built some Zu23 and had an evil time to destroy the buildings again and again...never again ! Only some troopers and one UAZ left, no respawning anymore. Now i'm happy to continue the mission the "normal way", i hope it ends after all. :)

Gambla, please report back to this thread if you get Freedom Fighters to end normally with the debriefing screen.

Thanks.

I just played through FF again, for the last time, and got the same result, namely it will not end. Two times in a row. All towns taken (not before sunup), base and offices both destroyed before sunup, both checkpoints destroyed (not before sunup). The site of the enemy HQ in Elektro still spawns troops continuously. Other than those spawn, no other enemies remaining.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For such a hard scenario, it is inexcusable to have a bugged ending caused by a failed trigger or something. :mad:

I will now install 1.09, but will not try FF again. It was fun while it lasted, tho. :D

I was wrong, enemy soldiers are still respawning at the base. :(

@Hanzu: I too think there's something wrong with the map, but had that problem at different locations. Yes, maybe there is a script or something running wrong. It's definetely not the usual frame drop.

It's now the next evening, already dark, but the tasks still have the red cross. I'm curious if the tasks get "open" again any time later in the night. I don't believe so.

I report back. :)

@Hanzu: I too think there's something wrong with the map, but had that problem at different locations. Yes, maybe there is a script or something running wrong. It's definetely not the usual frame drop.

@gambla and OMAC both of you may want to add -showScriptErrors to the shortcut what you use to launch the game:

For example:

Target:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -noSplash -skipIntro -showScriptErrors

It will give small black-green text box to left center part of the screen when script error happens. I have those show up most commonly when you have just loaded savegame and I assume it is because script is often confused in that situation.

I was wrong, enemy soldiers are still respawning at the base. :(

It's now the next evening, already dark, but the tasks still have the red cross. I'm curious if the tasks get "open" again any time later in the night. I don't believe so.

I report back. :)

I finished everything by about 8:30am this time, three hours after the insurgency began. Had about $41,000 in cash at the end. No one seems to know for sure what the red x's in the objective list mean. I highly doubt that they will ever go away no matter how long you play. In the thread I started about FF, pretty much everyone was clueless about details of the scenario. I wish BI would help us find out what the scenario requires to finish normally. Does the order in which the objectives are completed matter? No one knows. :confused:

No one seems to know for sure what the red x's in the objective list mean. I highly doubt that they will ever go away no matter how long you play.:

My quess is:

red X in objective means it failed, but not badly enough to end mission

grey \ in objective means it was cancelled by HQ

grey circle in objective means it was not completed

green circle in objective means it is completed

Does the order in which the objectives are completed matter? No one knows. :confused:

It shouldn't matter, but I've seen some badly designed missions where completing objectives will result no Debriefing which in this case means failed mission. Some examples:

COOP 18 Mountain Dew

COOP 05 Tank Hunters

Yes there seems to be only a few information about this scenario. I only found these outside these forums:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault/142561-sp-freedom-fighters-scenario.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtwb6j674Y0

nothing really useful in those either.