Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

I can understand that very well (about the spam). Thank you for the explanation. It might help if there was a mention of it in the forum rules, but then again, mentioning it might give spammers an advantage :)

@Max: Might I suggest that you change the name of the WIP: Stuff you are working on thread? Because it seems that what you really want it to be is "Post here for critique on your work" thread.

Even in the first post where you quoted Adumb, it says:

Just a fun/random topic for WIP/pimpin screenshots of whatever you are working, whether it be a small a reskin, or as big as an all new model, this way we don't always have to open a new thread.

Might I draw your attention to the section where it says "pimpin", which means showing off, which is what you yourself say in the next sentence. And even in the next paragraph it says "Where appropriate, the users of this thread provide critiques", meaning that it is sometimes appropriate for critiques, and sometimes not, thus adding to the view that this is not a critique thread but a show off your WIP thread.

Stagler is still developing his addon and hasn't finished the wound textures yet, which by definition makes it WIP as it is not complete yet. Because of that, the misleading title still applies.

Please don't see this is a rant against a particular mod, because it isn't. You are usually quite very reasonable, and I'm just asking if it wouldn't be better if you rename the thread title to something a bit clearer.

And since you were unsure in the thread of where you were hostile, then let me take a moment to explain (again, not an attack...just clarifying because you said that you didn't see it). You said "This is the last time I'm going to say this nicely..." which means that next time there will be no pleasantries, but hostility. It's why the user who said what he said said it.

And finally, I have another question: When a mod says something, how does one distinguish between what is moderation and a statement of personal opinion? In this particular example, you have stated that your opinion of the thread is that it is for getting critiques for WIP projects. You had also stated that as a user in the past before you were a mod. People have disagreed with you in the past when you were a user, and nothing happened because you were not a mod and they were just stating their equally valid opinions that are different than yours, and that's all it was. Now that you have the position of being a moderator, you have used your moderator abilities against someone who disagreed with your opinion. So, to repeat, how does one distinguish between what is moderation and a statement of personal opinion?

Please advise.

Abs

You are exactly right, Abs. During the course of the first thread by Adumb, the character of it changed as some artists were trying to build up to be a kind of workshop thread. When I created the new thread, I wanted to keep that character but I also wanted to give Adumb the props he deserved for making the original one. We will make a new thread with more clearly defined boundaries.

I don't agree that a lack of niceness implies hostility. I just meant that this would be the last time I visit the subject before issuing infractions. I was implying that there would be administrative action from that point forward. Issuing warnings or infractions is not a hostile thing for me. It's just a procedural thing. Next time I will just say it's the last warning I will issue before bla bla bla, whatever the situation warrants.

Edited by Max Power

Well a lack of niceness does not imply being neutral when giving out infarctions. Aren't moderators supposed to remain neutral? Would it help if they did?

Does it matter? I see other forum moderators do it in a neutral, calm manner. And it would help if all mods did it in the same fashion. Thanks.

Yes, it does matter. In fact, it's crucial to understanding my statement above.

---------- Post added at 02:58 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

And finally, I have another question: When a mod says something, how does one distinguish between what is moderation and a statement of personal opinion? In this particular example, you have stated that your opinion of the thread is that it is for getting critiques for WIP projects. You had also stated that as a user in the past before you were a mod. People have disagreed with you in the past when you were a user, and nothing happened because you were not a mod and they were just stating their equally valid opinions that are different than yours, and that's all it was. Now that you have the position of being a moderator, you have used your moderator abilities against someone who disagreed with your opinion. So, to repeat, how does one distinguish between what is moderation and a statement of personal opinion?

Please advise.

Abs

Well, on the topic of what that thread was actually for, check this post for a moderator opinion that isn't me and wasn't made since I became a moderator. Regarding the difference between my opinion and my moderating, normally I structure my moderating posts. I can see how what I said before I was a moderator vs. what I'm saying now can be problematic. I think the only place you would really run in to that problem is in the wip thread, which is now closed indefinitely. We're creating a new one which will hopefully help clear up a lot of that vagueness. If you're ever unsure of what's an opinion and what's a moderation you can always ask.

Edited by Max Power

May I posit that the WIP thread should in fact remain as a thread for WIP posts. When the first one was created by Adumb, it was created because of the flood of started but unfinished projects in the A&M Disc. forum that just cluttered it up. If you limit this thread to just critiques (which I honestly don't see why this limit should be there...what harm is there in having the thread be for WIP and for critiques?) then there is a chance that the same situation may occur.

Of course, the number of addon makers have significantly dropped since the ARMA days, so perhaps this isn't as much of a possibility as it used to be...but still, what's the harm in using that thread for both critiques and WIP?

And Max, when I read W0lle's post, it says "This thread is for showing WIP and (syn: in addition to) for constructive feedback", indicating that there was indeed a dual purpose. Unless W0lle clears that up, one of us (you or me, not sure) has read his post wrong.

@Rye: Max has already cleared up what he will do next time "This is the last warning bla bla", showing that he gets it. No point in discussing it further, IMHO.

Thanks, Max, for your replies.

Abs

If I may interject: as I understand it's not about WIP or critique but rather about WIP or "hype". From what I gathered, Max Power is planning a thread for WIP & critiques ONLY (means no "hype"). You might post a WIP and might receive critiques. Then it's up to you if you follow or ignore them. But the pictures need in essence to be made with that WIP mindset.

For those "hype" posts there is still the Combat Photography thread (like Parvus did for Combat! back then). Or a dedicated thread.

Should I use the "" or "" tags when posting a video in a thread? I tried the youtube bb tags recently and now my thread has crashed. I can't edit it to fix it back.

look into the icons list for video link, you can clearly see it's one

Yeah, thanks for the reply. There is also a "" BB code which actually works. I believe my thread was pending approval or something because it magically showed up again. Either way, thanks. I am now using the code because it looks better imo.

Yes, but it's usage is different. The old youtube tag required just the short series of characters at the end of the url. The video tag requires the whole url and it can't be https

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

The forum time zone thingy seems to be a bit odd. :) Not important, but you can't accuse me of not being observant.

This might be because the server isn't in GMT, but nevertheless, it's confusing me.

I can set the forum time offset in General Settings/ Date & Time options. The current time offset is also shown at the bottom of every forum page.

But they don't match. In order to get the thread and reply times to show correct for me (in London (we're not on daylight saving time ATM)) I have to set the above setting to GMT -1 (Azores) and when I do, the footer of the forum page shows GMT + 0. (and the *correct time).

* Actually, it's not quite correct, it's 6 minutes slow. :)

The time seems not synced with atomic clock either, the time seems to run 4 minutes ahead at least.

Ack! I said *slow* You're right, the forum clock is actually fast.

The forums seem to fluctuate between 2-4 minutes faster for me.

But if ya had not mentioned it...I would've never noticed it. :p

Edit..my post went thru the BI Black Hole....4 min in the future.

I've noticed that 4 minute thingy for a while now but felt like I'd be too much of a freak to mention it. Thanks Sickboy :)

I was wondering if ArmA 3 development blog and reveals is more fitted as "ArmA 3 news discussion" (rename). It seems to me that this thread has been used as such for some time now. If this doesn't suit the thread, perhaps we could create a new discussion thread devoted do news discussion. Seeing there is no such thread at the present day.

I was actually initiating a 4 month post restriction for the author for being a muppet when I suddenly got a vision of my favorite muppet Kermit enlightening me with only lovely feelings.

So, I decided to just move the topic and leave it at that :)

There used to be a list of current online users. Is this disable deliberately or just a new forum default setting?

There used to be a list of current online users. Is this disable deliberately or just a new forum default setting?

Disabled on purpose. Still here in the vb3 for vb4 style though.

It has something to do with the number of queries being made when the page is loading. Dwarden wants to keep those down so the forum loads quickly.

It has something to do with the number of queries being made when the page is loading. Dwarden wants to keep those down so the forum loads quickly.

Then why not get rid of the Spam-O-Matic Statistics, Total members that have registered today, and the Total members who have posted today for ordinary users? I think the typical user would rather see if their friends are on than how many spam bots were blocked. Keep them all for admins, of course.

Abs