Sign in to follow this  
konyo

Engine Smoke & Camera Positions

Hi all. Im just wondering how can i get engine smoke like a RC Helicopter. The smoke like this in the picture below?

Coming out downwards too?

http://p.lefux.com/61/20100826/A0145000EG/helicopter-models-gas-remote-control-1-big.jpg

Anyone know a way to achieve this?

Also while im here, How can i get the camera closer to my vehicle. The default external camera view of a helicopter is too far out for my model. I need it zoomed in a bit.

Many thanks,

konyo

Sorry for double post, but dose anyone know anyway to achieve this?

It seems like it would be very complicated. Particles is not something that I know very much (read: anything) about. What I think you would want to do is make your engine smoke memory point axis facing downwards, so the smoke is emitted in the downward direction, then you would want to see if there are engine smoke parameters you can monkey with in the config.cpp to get the effect you want (particles that start at a high velocity but decelerate quickly). Failing that, you would have to see if you can apply custom particles to the engine smoke emitter, or script someting, then create your own particles. This should at least provide you with avenues to start researching.

for the position of the external camera try to change

extCameraPosition[] = {0, 2, -20};

of your vehicle in the config.

It seems like it would be very complicated. Particles is not something that I know very much (read: anything) about. What I think you would want to do is make your engine smoke memory point axis facing downwards, so the smoke is emitted in the downward direction, then you would want to see if there are engine smoke parameters you can monkey with in the config.cpp to get the effect you want (particles that start at a high velocity but decelerate quickly). Failing that, you would have to see if you can apply custom particles to the engine smoke emitter, or script someting, then create your own particles. This should at least provide you with avenues to start researching.

Thanks Max, whats the name for the engine smoke memory points though?

for the position of the external camera try to change
extCameraPosition[] = {0, 2, -20};

of your vehicle in the config.

Thanks for that :)

I think what you are looking for is something like this?

class Exhausts {
		class exhaust1 {
			position = "vyfuk start";
			direction = "vyfuk konec";
			effect = "ExhaustsEffect";
		};
	};

This should give you the effect you are looking for.

I think what you are looking for is something like this?

class Exhausts {
		class exhaust1 {
			position = "vyfuk start";
			direction = "vyfuk konec";
			effect = "ExhaustsEffect";
		};
	};

This should give you the effect you are looking for.

Thanks, ive added it into config but dont work? Im assuming the memory point names are 'vyfuk start' & 'vyfuk konec'?

Yes, just add it to the config under the base class in CfgVehicles.

You would require both the physical memory points in the memory LOD to have those names, and for those names to be present in your config. If that doesn't work then the hit effects must be controlled some other way.

You would require both the physical memory points in the memory LOD to have those names, and for those names to be present in your config. If that doesn't work then the hit effects must be controlled some other way.

Yes must be, its not working when ive defined them in memory lod & config