Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Allow Binoculars to function in the same manner as weapon optics

Would it be possible to add the following functionality to Binoculars for Arma2-OA (&)or Arma3?

Currently, when you switch to Binoculars you are immediately put into the Binoculars' optics view. If you suddenly need to look around your immediate vicinity when in this view (with TrackIR etc) you have to switch back to your primary weapon first. This very clunky and can be frustrating.

I propose that when you switch to binoculars they behave like a normal weapon. Eg:

1.Switch to Binoculars

2.The Binocular is switched to, but remains "lowered".

3.Pressing the "optics" key brings up the Binoculars and gives you the Binocular view.

4.Pressing "optics" key again lowers the Binoculars and allows you to look around without having to change weapon. Just like any other gun.

Some players might not like having to raise the Binocular after switching to it. So for the first initial switch to Binocular, you could have them come straight to the Binocular view, if the majority prefers this.

Devheaven Feature request, if you want to add a vote or thought:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30792

proper mods have this function in the DisableForcedOpticsForBinocular_Gameplay_C_OA_PROPER.pbo i believe.

here you hit B to change to binos but they are lowered, right click will bring the binos up to your eyes and lower them.

you can remove pbo's from the addon folder as you like / prefer, thus adding / removing features to suit your taste.

If people decide to use a binocular they usually want to watch through it and don't like start playing silly minigames with half/fully lowered binoculars. Agree that it would be nice to have an option to lower/raise binoculars but not by clicking "use binocular" key. Imo something like Shift + binoc key would be ok to lower/raise binocular.

If people decide to use a binocular they usually want to watch through it and don't like start playing silly minigames with half/fully lowered binoculars. Agree that it would be nice to have an option to lower/raise binoculars but not by clicking "use binocular" key. Imo something like Shift + binoc key would be ok to lower/raise binocular.

Indeed, that's why I suggested that it might be a better idea to have the binoculars come straight to the "optics" view when you use the binocular initially. If you wanted to, you could then "lower" it/switch away from optics view with the optics button. It's hard to tell which way would be better without testing both methods for real in game.

You can lower the laser marker....

I forgot about this. Been a while since I used this tool, I must have a look again at how it works. Maybe they could just apply its functionality to the Binos

ty for the feedback

NP... also there used to be a mod called Andy's Binoculars which did exactly this..not sure if it's still out there but it might be useful

+1

If only binocs worked like gun optics, I would run binocs at hand almost all the time.

So frustrating when u have binocs on and u accidentally push to go prone/crouch and then the switching shenanigans starts :(

Vote up: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/5216