Placebo

New Forums: Feedback thread - Bugs/Suggestions here please.

First Create it, then the very next prompt after that what you posted, is giving you the option to do so...... :p :D

Eh.. I've already created it.....? How do I access that option after creating the group?

Er...I looked at the forums maybe a couple of hours ago (certainly today) and could access it as normal. However a moment ago, it had forgotten I was logged in, reset automatically my password and all the forums were set as locked for those not logged in. That can't be normal can it? I didn't think the BI forums were 'closed' for people other than members, for if that was the case then how would I have been reading the forums today and yet the system is saying I haven't logged in since 8th April. Weird.

Edited by All-a-Mort
Stupidity...the usual.

Er...I looked at the forums maybe a couple of hours ago (certainly today) and could access it as normal. However a moment ago, it had forgotten I was logged in, reset automatically my password and all the forums were set as locked for those not logged in. That can't be normal can it? I didn't think the BI forums were 'closed' for people other than members, for if that was the case then how would I have been reading the forums today and yet the system is saying I haven't logged in since 8th April. Weird.

I just changed it ;)

Eh.. I've already created it.....? How do I access that option after creating the group?

Ohh ok... you're right then... i don't have that option either....

Either you ask a Mod/Admin if he can add your picture or give permission to the normal users (if there is a permission to set for this) or you inform current members, delete it and create it new.... :o

I just changed it ;)

I don't understand why you need to log in to see the forum content now ?

Why this change ?

Ohh ok... you're right then... i don't have that option either....

Either you ask a Mod/Admin if he can add your picture or give permission to the normal users (if there is a permission to set for this) or you inform current members, delete it and create it new.... :o

Oki doki, I guess that mods are really busy so sending them a PM might not be the best option. Could anyone with the administrative power make this pic the "Terrain Artists" social group icon please?

terraink.jpg

Thanks

I don't understand why you need to log in to see the forum content now ?

Why this change ?

Why waste bandwidth on guests?

Oki doki, I guess that mods are really busy so sending them a PM might not be the best option. Could anyone with the administrative power make this pic the "Terrain Artists" social group icon please?

Thanks

You should be able to do it yourself now?

Why waste bandwidth on guests?

Being forced to log in every time to read the forum is rather stupid in my opinion (I frequently view the forums while not logged in). Also, for people trying to find troubleshooting information its propably a major annoyance; I would never register to a forum just to check if there might be a solution to a problem in some hidden place.

It propably also stops search engines from being able to index the forums which leads to more bandwidth use as you're forced to use the forum search instead (And not being able to find troubleshooting information with a search engine either).

Being forced to log in every time to read the forum is rather stupid in my opinion (I frequently view the forums while not logged in). Also, for people trying to find troubleshooting information its propably a major annoyance; I would never register to a forum just to check if there might be a solution to a problem in some hidden place.

Considering the increased bandwidth drain from various aspects of the new forums, such as avatar local hosting, I think it's a prudent course of action, you might think it's stupid but where will you be whinging when the forums crash? The servers don't exactly have a history of stability.

I've frequently had to create accounts for forums in the past when I've simply been looking for information, takes all of 30 seconds to 5 minutes and it's a minimal fuss and effort, if people's lives are too busy and filled to spend 5 minutes getting support for a computer game I'm surprised they even find time in their busy and frantic lives to play a computer game.

Guests can now view threads again, so they shan't need to spend 2 minutes out of their busy lives signing up to the forums :)

1. once i read a thread in a subforum/section, all other threads in that section turn as read, even though i haven't touched those (firefox browser, haven't tested with another). This(BIS forums) is the only place out of all vB forums i am part of where is happens.

2. Can someone add some categories in the Social Groups (just like the moderator one just poped up). Groups such as Clan, League/Tournament, Mod team etc would be more than welcome - low priority though

Considering the increased bandwidth drain from various aspects of the new forums, such as avatar local hosting

You could block the avatars etc. from guest users (For example, make a default theme that doesn't have any avatars or other images).

You could block the avatars etc. from guest users (For example, make a default theme that doesn't have any avatars or other images).

It doesn't change the fact that registered users uploading/viewing avatars as well as uploading/viewing social group images is all now based on our servers rather than external sites as it was before Ikonboard.

It doesn't change the fact that registered users uploading/viewing avatars as well as uploading/viewing social group images is all now based on our servers rather than external sites as it was before Ikonboard.

He means make it that guests don't see users' avatars.

You should be able to do it yourself now?

I should, but I'm not able to.

Working now, thank you drive through.

Edited by Opteryx

He means make it that guests don't see users' avatars.

Yes I know that's what he means. That option isn't there in Vbulletin however.

Edited by Placebo

1. once i read a thread in a subforum/section, all other threads in that section turn as read, even though i haven't touched those (firefox browser, haven't tested with another). This(BIS forums) is the only place out of all vB forums i am part of where is happens.

2. Can someone add some categories in the Social Groups (just like the moderator one just poped up). Groups such as Clan, League/Tournament, Mod team etc would be more than welcome - low priority though

1. Yeah I've noticed the same, it's annoying to have threads marked as read when you haven't visited them, will try to identify and fix the problem.

2. Clan is not a word we use here. I have however added Squad, Addon/Mod Team, Mission/Campaign Editing, is League/Tournament really required? I'm happy to add it if so but don't want to add too many for the sake of it :)

2. Clan is not a word we use here. I have however added Squad, Addon/Mod Team, Mission/Campaign Editing, is League/Tournament really required? I'm happy to add it if so but don't want to add too many for the sake of it :)

he he - on the clan thingy :)

there some 4-5 Leagues/Tournaments i am aware of just for ArmA. Not sure how many left for aging OFP now. I assume there will be more for AA2. So, is it really required..I am unsure, i'll let you decide it. ;)

Thank you for the rest you made

Yes I know that's what he means. That option isn't there in Vbulletin however.

You could, as Kegetys mentions, create a substyle of the Default Style, and edit the templates for Postbit and some others which include the avatars/signatures.

However, I can only find options to select Styles per Forum, not per Usergroup or anything like it.

Though I know there is an (free) extension available at vBulletin.org which allows configuring which usergroups have access to which Styles.

If you like, I can persue this and find out, or even write a custom solution. Should be a matter of minutes.

(There are many interesting extensions btw. I suppose you guys got more things to do, but if you like I could lookup a selection matching your criteria?)

If you like, I can persue this and find out, or even write a custom solution. Should be a matter of minutes.

I thought you were staying away of any vB, and loving only ruby ;)

I thought you were staying away of any vB, and loving only ruby ;)

Hail yeah :yay: But I am willing to make an exception for this occasion :cool:

vB ownz though, it's rather PHP im trying to stay away from :P

1. Yeah I've noticed the same, it's annoying to have threads marked as read when you haven't visited them, will try to identify and fix the problem.

Yes leagues/tournaments are needed IMHO...

Also can you maybe add a category for just "fans" or "countries", etc?

I already saw "russia", "poland", "germany" - i'm sure more will come :p

Hail yeah :yay: But I am willing to make an exception for this occasion :cool:

vB ownz though, it's rather PHP im trying to stay away from :P

Tsk as a programmer you should know better than to hate on a functional and useful web language. :D

At least it's not ASP :crazy_o:

BTW, any chance of some darker themes?

I prefer them as they don't tire my eyes so much.