Sign in to follow this  
longers2010

just got arma 2, tell me some cool stuff to do !!!

Just got the game and installed latest version of ACE 2 along with a load of maps.

I am always hearing about what a varied experience Arma 2 offers so i am looking for suggestions for some cool and preferably simple stuff to do in the editor, don't mind what... just stuff which is cool and will help sell them game to me (although i've already bought it lol) cause at the moment i have a few doubts about the game and im hoping you guys can put those doubts to rest by giving me suggestions as to all the cool shit i can do in the editor.

at the moment the main thing im doing is just putting a squad in the editor and then syncing sec op module to the leader so it constantly gives me new missions... im basically just looking for stuff along these lines rather than creating entire missions which is ultimately going to be way over my head.

Edited by longers2010

Oh, that won't last long, trust me :) You'll start exploring the editor in greater depth soon enough :p

Hmm... Cool things to do? Upgrade to 1.05 and then update that to the latest beta version. If you get annoyed with the sounds after a while, I suggest you download all the most popular soundmods and try them out for yourself (but only use one at a time, until you start to get the hang of using mods and what are designed to run with others etc).

Then, if not before, why don't you try the game? Campaign and singleplayer scenarios, maybe have a blast at the armory. Get a feel for what is actually possible to do, although this kind of mission design requires a bit more than casual knowledge of the editor and all the scripting commands. Read up on the mission editor Use the link on that page pointing to the Arma1 version, this one seems incomplete at the moment.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

Do this:

1) Place down the Ambient Combat, Ambient Civilians, Ambient Civilian Vehicles, Ambient Animals, First Aid (all 3), and Weather Modules in the editor in Chernarus.

2) Put yourself as either a single unit, or part of a group, whatever you want to be.

3) Hit Preview and enjoy.

This is what amazed me in Arma 2 when I first got it. All of the Ambient Modules listed above dynamically generate either friendly or opposing forces, along with civilians and animals across Chernarus. Give it a few seconds to start and you'll begin to see towns populated, animals roaming the farmland and, eventually, all hell breaking loose when two or more factions confront each other. It's simply stunning.

You can also look into the SecOps Module if you want randomly generated tasks for you to complete in said mission as well. When that happens, you actually give yourself a goal of the mission rather than just watching it all unfold. It's very impressive, and that would be what I recommend you do first. ;)

Not recommended for low-range PCs, though. :p

cheers for the responses, will those ambient modules work on maps such as Afghan Village or any of the other CAA1 maps ? how about non CAA1 maps ? or are they strictly for Cheranus ?

Edited by longers2010

Well there are tonnes of things to do.... and you get to find out new things often... even after playing for quite a while.

Try the editor. It one of the best things you can spend your whole day playing, even without playing a proper mission, you'll still enjoy everybit of it.

What I'll do is use some of my fav addons such as GL4, WarFX, CSM mod and of course ACE2, put a couple of OPFOR and myself arm with a laser marker and place an A10... And start laser targeting the poor unfortunate lads on the ground and pounding them with GBUs. With the effects and sounds plus the AI trying to organize themselves to counter react... pretty cool stuffs....

Do this:

1) Place down the Ambient Combat, Ambient Civilians, Ambient Civilian Vehicles, Ambient Animals, First Aid (all 3), and Weather Modules in the editor in Chernarus.

2) Put yourself as either a single unit, or part of a group, whatever you want to be.

3) Hit Preview and enjoy.

This is what amazed me in Arma 2 when I first got it. All of the Ambient Modules listed above dynamically generate either friendly or opposing forces, along with civilians and animals across Chernarus. Give it a few seconds to start and you'll begin to see towns populated, animals roaming the farmland and, eventually, all hell breaking loose when two or more factions confront each other. It's simply stunning.

You can also look into the SecOps Module if you want randomly generated tasks for you to complete in said mission as well. When that happens, you actually give yourself a goal of the mission rather than just watching it all unfold. It's very impressive, and that would be what I recommend you do first. ;)

Not recommended for low-range PCs, though. :p

gave this a go but in an hour of walking about cheranus i only came across the following

1 friendly chopper

1 friendly squad

1 friendly BDRM

didn't see any enemies whatsoever, maybe i just got unlucky and missed them ?

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Well there are tonnes of things to do.... and you get to find out new things often... even after playing for quite a while.

Try the editor. It one of the best things you can spend your whole day playing, even without playing a proper mission, you'll still enjoy everybit of it.

What I'll do is use some of my fav addons such as GL4, WarFX, CSM mod and of course ACE2, put a couple of OPFOR and myself arm with a laser marker and place an A10... And start laser targeting the poor unfortunate lads on the ground and pounding them with GBUs. With the effects and sounds plus the AI trying to organize themselves to counter react... pretty cool stuffs....

do you have to group the A-10 with yourself for it to be able to drop bombs on your laser marks ?

gave this a go but in an hour of walking about cheranus i only came across the following

1 friendly chopper

1 friendly squad

1 friendly BDRM

You should sync (F5 and drag a line) some of the modules to yourself, not all of them though, but im sure about ACM and Secops.

do you have to group the A-10 with yourself for it to be able to drop bombs on your laser marks ?

Nah it's either way. But if the A10 is not in your group, ensure it's flight path (waypoint) crosses the area.

For the Secop and Combat ambient Module, I think you can set the "freq" of enemy and distance of the unscripted combat happening around you. But involves very minimum amount scripting in the editor...

You just got the game? Weird how back in Jan/Feb/March as "Moosed" you shared plenty of opinion about the game until your trolling and general idiocy got your account suspended, multiple personality much?

And it really doesn't help your "pretend newcomer" status to make essentially the exact same whine about the game:

Feb 17th 2010

i hope they sort out the god awful muzzle flashes on all the guns, night time firefights could be so good and immersive but the hideous muzzle flashes put a complete downer on playing night time missions... really is one of the worst things about Arma 2 :(

May 23rd 2010

i pray to god they have improved the woeful muzzle flashes in arma 2, everytime you fire a gun at night you are greeted with a muzzle flash that looks like it should be in a 15 year old game rather than one made in 2009 !!!

So umm, bye bye now :wave: