Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

This whole post and thread is deprecated since ARMA 2: OA 1.60 release (automatic detection of A2 install

(A2 needs to be started once incase of STEAM/Desura)

it still can be used as workaround in case of some issues ...

Place content of this file into same directory where is ARMA2OA.EXE

note: this is only for these who have A2 and OA directories standalone

(includes STEAM users, games needs to be combined for A2:CO package)

Warning: will work ONLY IF there are EXISTING OR CORRECT paths in windows registry to both titles

(e.g. both A2 and OA must be run at least once on STEAM prior using the script)

*** TO RESOLVE MISSING REGISTRY PLEASE RUN STEAM AS ADMIN ***

*** then re-validate game file cache and run ARMA 2 prior running A2: Combined Operations via menu option provided by STEAM ***

*** It seems some low user rights running DVD setup also are missing the proper registry entries for PATH ***

STEAM users;

latest version of batch is now part of STEAM release , please re-validate cache

then run _runA2CO.cmd in A2OA folder (STEAM file is up2date and same as attached in .zip to end of this post)

file is located e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\_runA2CO.cmd

non-STEAM users:

use _runA2CO_nonSteamOA.cmd from _runA2CO_nonSteamOA.zip

in case it don't work please check registry for following entries (only if You know how)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

key MAIN must contain correct path to ARMA 2

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

key MAIN must contain correct path to ARMA 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA

key MAIN must contain correct path to ARMA 2:OA

************* FULLY MANUAL WAY for experienced PC users *************

for ARMA 2: Combined Operations

solution to enable ingameUI modification manager

(when -mod are used the modification manager is disabled)

Windows Seven, Vista users using inbuilt mklink

[i]mklink /j ".\Addons" "..\ARMA 2\Addons"[/i]
[i]mklink /j ".\Dta" "..\ARMA 2\Dta"[/i]
[i]mklink /j ".\Keys" "..\ARMA 2\Keys"[/i]
[i]mklink /j ".\userconfig" "..\ARMA 2\userconfig"[/i]

Windows XP users with NTFS drives needs use this from SysInternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

[i]junction ".\Addons" "..\ARMA 2\Addons"[/i]
[i]junction ".\Dta" "..\ARMA 2\Dta"[/i]
[i]junction ".\Keys" "..\ARMA 2\Keys"[/i]
[i]junction ".\userconfig" "..\ARMA 2\userconfig"[/i]
[/Code]

[i]this will automatically enable your game to load ARMA 2 content w/o need to use -mod switch [/i]

[i]now you can add / remove mods in the UI interface[/i]

[i]there are 3 problematic[/i]

[i]1. you cannot enable/disable ARMA 2 off the list and it looks disabled[/i]

[i]* yet it works, so no issue[/i]

[i]2. all servers with retail A2:CO will show as Red with question mark[/i]

[i]* yet You can join and play, yet it works so no issue[/i]

[i]+ there is 1 downside of this[/i]

[i]3.[/i]

[i]if you host you will be shown as w/o the CA and thus A2:CO users can't play with You [/i]

[i]* can't be resolved w/o data wise changes, no big issue if you not hosting[/i]

[i]-------[/i]

[i]_runA2CO_beta.zip [/i][i]contains [b]_runA2CO_beta.cmd[/b][/i]

[i]it does the same as _runA2CO.cmd for beta build of OA[/i]

[i]only limitation is, it needs to be placed into same directory where is ARMA2OA.EXE [/i]

[i]so you need add shortcut to it or something along the line[/i]

[i]-------[/i]

[i]scripts are within attached[/i] [b]ARMA2.CO.manually.zip[/b]

[i]they detects automatically your A2 and A2:OA and do these changes for You[/i]

[i]also i included the one where you can easily add junction for mods from ARMA 2 to OA folder to be seen in ingameUI modification manager[/i]

[i]NOTE: \Keys\ folder is already present in \ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\[/i]

[i]so in case You need to host games, please copy your keys over or rename the OA keys folder and create junction afterward to A2 one[/i]

[i]----[/i]

[i]have fun[/i]

Edited by Dwarden

If this isn't the right place to put this question sorry, but to clarify for steam users, you mean that future downloads will include that file? So if we already did download and have two separate folders via steam, we can use this? Thank you.

This doesn't work for me. I just downloaded both arma2 and the expansion on steam, and I started them both at least once.

"ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value." x2

This did not work.

First time I tried it I ran OA (I'd already run Arma2 a few hundred times), I exited, put the file into the main OA directory (where the exe is), and I ran OA, OA started just fine but no access to ARMA2. I tried to run ARMA2, no access to OA.

I re-downloaded the file and re-extracted it to the OA directory. I ran arma2, then I ran OA, still separate and then I ran arma2 again, no joy.

Both Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead are in the default steam directories. Arma2 was updated via the forced steam download to 1.07. I didn't get the registry error, both games start fine. They just don't acknowledge each other.

Dwarden, I really do appreciate the time you take to put material up for people, but could you please try to be more detailed in your instructions. For example, you weren't even clear if we should be trying to run the combined game from OA or Arma2.

I've noticed this several times on these forums and on the Steam forums over the past year that I've been a BIS customer, you seem to leave out information and don't provide complete instructions when you provide technical support.

I have no idea if the file doesn't work or if there was something to the installation process that I messed up. More step-by-step information on how to do this would make life much, much easier; likely for you as well.

Edited by Onchas

If this isn't the right place to put this question sorry, but to clarify for steam users, you mean that future downloads will include that file? So if we already did download and have two separate folders via steam, we can use this? Thank you.

yes , it's just matter of time this will be included

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

This did not work.

First time I tried it I ran OA (I'd already run Arma2 a few hundred times), I exited, put the file into the main OA directory (where the exe is), and I ran OA, OA started just fine but no access to ARMA2. I tried to run ARMA2, no access to OA.

I re-downloaded the file and re-extracted it to the OA directory. I ran arma2, then I ran OA, still separate and then I ran arma2 again.

Dwarden, I really do appreciate the time you take to put material up for people, but could you please try to be more detailed in your instructions. For example, you weren't even clear if we should be trying to run the combined game from OA or Arma2.

I've noticed this several times on these forums and on the Steam forums over the past year that I've been a BIS customer, you seem to leave out information and don't provide complete instructions when you provide technical support.

I have no idea if the file doesn't work or if there was something to the installation process that I messed up. More step-by-step information on how to do this would make life much, much easier; likely for you as well.

can you look into registry if the paths are available ?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

key MAIN

should have path to ARMA 2

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA

key MAIN

should have path to ARMA 2 OA

if this is missing, something was wrong with instalation

Edited by Dwarden

I'm not sure, but perhaps my issue is that I used to have retail ArmA2 installed? When I saw arma2 was on sale on steam today, I uninstalled my old, retail-based arma2 and downloaded arma2 from steam. So this is what I did, in order:

Uninstalled retail ArmA2.

Installed and ran Steam ArmA2.

Installed and ran Steam OA.

Tried to run your batch-file, which had two lines complaining about registry errors.

Hopefully this is some help. :)

Edit:

Both of the above keys are available and correct for me, except they are under SOFTWARE\6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studios. Perhaps it's a 64-bit issue? Running Windows 7 x64.

Edited by Nev1571

I'm not sure, but perhaps my issue is that I used to have retail ArmA2 installed? When I saw arma2 was on sale on steam today, I uninstalled my old, retail-based arma2 and downloaded arma2 from steam. So this is what I did, in order:

Uninstalled retail ArmA2.

Installed and ran Steam ArmA2.

Installed and ran Steam OA.

Tried to run your batch-file, which had two lines complaining about registry errors.

Hopefully this is some help. :)

same question as above DID you look into the registry?

Yeah, the registry seems fine. I edited my post above, but I'm posting here in case you'll miss it otherwise.

Problem might be Windows x32 vs Windows x64.

Don't yet have Arrowhead but in Windows 7 x64 I have no

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" but

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2"

I had to manually copy over the registry values for Bohemia Interactive and Bohemia Interactive Studios from Wow6432Node into SOFTWARE. I have 64-bit Windows 7. It worked like a charm after that.

Good to see you guys got it working. Going away for a few days, but at least I know there's a solution for when I get back. Thanks Dwarden, and everyone! :)

Dwarden here is mine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio

The latter being more what your looking for.

Would you like an export? This is for 64 bit os's.

Problem might be Windows x32 vs Windows x64.

Don't yet have Arrowhead but in Windows 7 x64 I have no

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" but

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2"

that's strange

because i have Windows 7 x64 with this original path

but i assume it might be related also to rights level

can you look into registry if the paths are available ?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

key MAIN

should have path to ARMA 2

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA

key MAIN

should have path to ARMA 2 OA

if this is missing, something was wrong with instalation

They're there under the HKEY_local_machine/software/wow6432node, but there's no registry information for BIS/Arma2 software under HKEY_local_machine/software/. (I'm using Win7, x64)

I tried editing my Registry via export/import of the key (changing the route). I could open OA with just the /hkey_local_machine/Software/Bohemia Interactive Studio registry (but only with access to the OA product), but ArmA2 gave me a "bad serial key" error on start up. I re-imported the previous (default) registry information (so it's back in the wow64 registry sub-directory) and both ArmA2 and OA start up just fine but I do not have access to the combined product.

I'm going to stop pressing my luck with editing my registry and I'll let you guys sort this out. But, for me, one of the things that attracted me to buying OA was that I could combine the available equipment in both the Arma2 maps and the OA maps. This is a critical feature for me, so I really look forward to your sorting this out.

Edited by Onchas

my arma registry isnt under HKLM but under HKCM?softwaare/Bohemia Interactive Studio/ArmA 2.

I then have 2 files called:

(Default)

Player Name

how do I look in my registry were do I find it, I have vista

yeah i realized it, it's related to enabled / disabled UAC

working on fix

I had "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2"

and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA".

I fixed the file that DWarden posted.

Just run drop the file into the Arrowhead folder and run it. It works after that.

This is for Vista 64Bit users with the SAME EXACT registry as me. You can also edit it yourself and make it work for you. But if you are lazy, or don't want to mess with it Here you go.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR STUFF GETS MESSED UP.

Dwarden are you saying its a problem if you have it on, or if you have it off? I have it off and it didn't work for me.

I had "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2"

and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA".

I fixed the file that DWarden posted.

Just run drop the file into the Arrowhead folder and run it. It works after that.

This is for Vista 64Bit users with the SAME EXACT registry as me. You can also edit it yourself and make it work for you. But if you are lazy, or don't want to mess with it Here you go.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR STUFF GETS MESSED UP.

Dwarden are you saying its a problem if you have it on, or if you have it off? I have it off and it didn't work for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896459/en-us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

let me write fix

Stones! Avoid stones at all costs or you may get a constant jump loop lol :)

I searched but I did not find the answer I was looking for.

So I have both ArmA 2 and AO from steam, I went and I launched OA and its not loading my ArmA 2 content. The Expansion is selected and everything but the two aren't linking, is there some special client I should be launching?

it's being worked on ... fix will be avilable soon

Is this only for steam users, cause I know people with the boxed version have both working just by installing OA.