Sign in to follow this  
cartier90

Do BIS play ARMA much ?

Do BIS play with their own creations much ? if so , what is their favourite type of gameplay ?, creating missions in editor ?

Do BIS play with community addons like ACE or are they purists - which would be understandable ;)

Finally, if any one knows, what kind of rigs do they play with ?

This is the only forum I've been on where creators of the game play such an active part posting, would be interesting to know...cheers...

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

[/color].......

For example, I'm singleplayer freak. I sometimes play MP, but after several minutes getting pwned by skilled players I usually leave the game :)

I prefer vanilla A2, mostly because I don't have time download and install all those large mods. ;)

Edited by cartier90

I would like to know as well.

BIS could you please give us a video tour or something of your company?

I want to see the devs and your snack room!

Flash - good point, tour of inside of fridge would be great margarine or butter ;)

That's hard to say. Judging form the release of Armed Assault and ArmA II, the quality control was pretty poor, which earned them the image of a buggy game developer. But BIS takes care of their creations. They patch their games constantly and are in contact with their community to improve their games, which is not common by developers and therefore they got my complete respect. I wish they would give some more importance to the single player campaigns and get a campaign done which would keep up with the old CWC and Resistance campaigns of OFP.

kind regards

p.s. have look at this it will give you some more info about BIS

http://pro.bistudio.com/

Edited by nettrucker
added link

Do BIS play with their own creations much ? if so , what is their favourite type of gameplay ?, creating missions in editor ?

For example, I'm singleplayer freak. I sometimes play MP, but after several minutes getting pwned by skilled players I usually leave the game :)

Do BIS play with community addons like ACE or are they purists - which would be understandable ;)

I prefer vanilla A2, mostly because I don't have time download and install all those large mods.

Recenly, I really enjoyed Operation Cobalt campaign and playing SecOp template on Namalsk island.

Since I love scripted systems most, I was quite impressed by Chernarus Electrical Grid and of course by all Mandoble's work (ever wondered how you made it into first place in OA credit's community mentions ;))

BTW: Mandoble, you should really make some SP mission like OFP Forest ;)

ah, the Forest, what an experience to design and write it. The most enjoyable mission editing time I had for OFP/ArmA/ArmA2/OA :)

I really would like to have it ported to A2 in the future. And you are quite right there, me and other mission designers should explore ways to create more "non standard" missions for A2, certainly A2 engine allows it way better than OFP did in the past ;)

Awesome, I want a live ArmA2 BI tournament though! :D That would be epic.

What about other BI guys... come on. Spill, we want to know :)

ah, the Forest, what an experience to design and write it. The most enjoyable mission editing time I had for OFP/ArmA/ArmA2/OA :)

That was an awesome mission. I spent sooooo long up that guard tower, not wanting to go down. And that black op who, if you damage, fires an explosive freakin' cloud at you? Genius.

I would like to hear aswell what BIS stuff does play and also, which mods did impressed them pretty much. Related to this, on tiny request: i take it as given that the top answer would be ACE2 which is fully undestandable and i also agree. So, if possible, name other mods than ACE2.

No, not a rant about ACE2, it is a compliment.

Maybe they make and share their own mission between them :P , be interesting to see what they do with the game while not updating it ect. :)

Myke;1687141']....on tiny request: i take it as given that the top answer would be ACE2 which is fully undestandable and i also agree. So' date=' if possible, name other mods than ACE2.

No, not a rant about ACE2, it is a compliment.[/quote']

Why do you mention something like this at all?!

It is clear that reactions will appear regarding that post. Totally useless to mention stuff like that - what does that has to do with the Topic at all?

No rant? No, but again some sort of your usual cavils towards ACE2 in an unrelated topic.

I would be very surprised if any Dev is playing ACE2 at all, i rather doubt it.

BTT:

IIRC in interviews it was written that Suma (lead Dev) for instance doesn't play much of his own Games and in the Arma-Radio Interview before Arma2 was released, even stated that he was kinda "fed up" with this kind of game and the he wanted to program something else in the future.

Pretty Sad IMHO.

Please this information above might not be 100% correct, so i am not sure anymore, it was already 2,5+ years ago, but the interview can be found at armaholic.com for instance.

Edited by mr.g-c

Yes, I remember reading before how BIS (since Flashpoint) basically use the military aspect of the game as a medium to create and sell the kind of project they are most interested in, which is the creation of a photo realistic, massively open sandbox environment/terrain simulation as close to the real world as possible (flora/atmosphere/geology/etc). That is why the terrain in every game they release is lovingly created and it shows.

However, what also shows is the fact that they really don't care too much about the military aspect of the game. Which is why some things that seem obvious to us (as shooter/military sim fans) to include or update are not given much thought. However, they do get better at this every release, with OA being a major leap forward imo (uavs, FLIR, accurate models, large choice of weapons and vehicles etc). Perhaps they have hired some military gun nuts to help in this department. :)

I think carrier command will be a nice refreshing avenue for them to explore and I hope they continue to create these amazing landscapes for us to play on.

Why do you mention something like this at all?!

It is clear that reactions will appear regarding that post. Totally useless to mention stuff like that - what does that has to do with the Topic at all?

No rant? No, but again some sort of your usual cavils towards ACE2 in an unrelated topic.

I would be very surprised if any Dev is playing ACE2 at all, i rather doubt it.

Let me quote the OP for you:

Do BIS play with community addons like ACE or are they purists - which would be understandable

So i would like to know what community addons/mods beside ACE2 they like. If you can't live without ACE2 being the center of the known (and unknown) universe...well, not my issue.

And again once for you as you might have missed in my previous post:

i take it as given that the top answer would be ACE2 which is fully undestandable and i also agree.

So BTT:

what community mods/addons has BIS staff impressed most? Are there any (besides ACE2) that they use regulary?

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Hello just a suggestion cartier90, might be worth putting any of the Dev's replys in the first post because this threads gona fill up real quick!!

Also love to here more about BIS, plus any mission you guys wish to share???

That Forest mission for OFP sounds like it was amazing! Can anybody who played it tell me what it was about? Couldn't find info on the download page.

Cheers!

That Forest mission for OFP sounds like it was amazing! Can anybody who played it tell me what it was about? Couldn't find info on the download page.

Cheers!

A horror mission with very nice effects.

Cheers!

If your talking about Montignac,

well basically your whole squad is wiped out and you have to get to morton to leave with the US forces. Meanwhile the russians are attacking bases. YOu however, must go through the forests from Montignac all the way to morton (pretty far) while running into enemy patrols, helicopters and bmps. It was basically a death sentence to try and engage the enemy. YOu could spend hours just hiding waiting for the right moment to make your move. It was incredible, as was the whole campaign.

Edit: Alas you were not. Forget my post then, I should have read the whole thread. What I described was a mission in the campaign.

Edited by Nightrain

It may seem a strange thing to say but without the devs actively obsessed - and playing - it seems almost 'behind the times' to be doing so - not so much 'keeping up with the jones's ' - more so, 'WTF are they playing to engage them' ;)...

Steve- good idea, I hope several of them do reply with with the responses we hope for...i.e ' i dont play ARMA, I AM ARMA ;) )

I think the key question is wether any of them inadvertently mention their secret I9 their playing with

Edited by cartier90

If your talking about Montignac,

well basically your whole squad is wiped out and you have to get to morton to leave with the US forces. Meanwhile the russians are attacking bases. YOu however, must go through the forests from Montignac all the way to morton (pretty far) while running into enemy patrols, helicopters and bmps. It was basically a death sentence to try and engage the enemy. YOu could spend hours just hiding waiting for the right moment to make your move. It was incredible, as was the whole campaign.

Edit: Alas you were not. Forget my post then, I should have read the whole thread. What I described was a mission in the campaign.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I remember playing that mission in the campaign, I hid in a bush for 2 hours literally, whilst some BMP prodded around looking for me...

Was scary!

I was just wondering about the addon mission by Mando, it must have been pretty epic!

Finally, if any one knows, what kind of rigs do they play with ?
Back when they published the Arma2 DevDiarys (July 2009) I asked for specs on machine used for making it:

As requested in previous comments please find the HW configuration of the PC on which we are capturing the Dev Diaries:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU, E8600 @ 3.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

2046MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

But that might have changed now, that ws a year ago.

If there were a 360 OA I would play far, far more than I do now, TBH my gaming these days is 95% on the 360 with the PC only getting used when the wife's playing on the 360 (although that's being worked on as my office will have a 2nd 360 + projector shortly) :)

If there were a 360 OA I would play far, far more than I do now, TBH my gaming these days is 95% on the 360 with the PC only getting used when the wife's playing on the 360 (although that's being worked on as my office will have a 2nd 360 + projector shortly) :)

That is almost as blasphemic as you would have said that you play "the game that shall not be named". :D

But that's a opportunity for all consoleros: go contact Maruk immediately and tell him that you want to play OA on your 360 ASAP. :p

j/k mate.

I'm pretty sure he knows how much I would like to see a 360 BIS game, I mention it on here enough ;)