Sign in to follow this  
bigpickle

Interactive Smoke

Proberly do it on A2 now if i had more scripting knowledge, all you would need to do is have the helicopter have some kind of setvelocity area which effects objects and things nearby via script. Or simply add a script to the smoke particle itself to run when a helicopter is nearby. If someone knows how to make a script activate when the helicopter is nearby i could proberly work out the rest.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Proberly do it on A2 now if i had more scripting knowledge, all you would need to do is have the helicopter have some kind of setvelocity area which effects objects and things nearby via script. Or simply add a script to the smoke particle itself to run when a helicopter is nearby. If someone knows how to make a script activate when the helicopter is nearby i could proberly work out the rest.

Once a particle is floated, it cannot be affected.

Once a particle is floated, it cannot be affected.

Not even by using the onTimerScript = ""; ?

You can't manipulate an existing particle. It'd be cool if you could.

Also onTimerScript is so horrible... why its a constantly compiled thing instead of a function name I will never know... :@

Not even by using the onTimerScript = ""; ?

No. You can destroy original particle and create new one instead of the original one. But there are many problems and I doubt that you can solve them all satisfactorily. First big problem - you don't know speed of the original particle. Second big one - you have to create new particle emitor for every single particle and that's very expensive.

No. You can destroy original particle and create new one instead of the original one. But there are many problems and I doubt that you can solve them all satisfactorily. First big problem - you don't know speed of the original particle. Second big one - you have to create new particle emitor for every single particle and that's very expensive.

Could some major overhaul allowing existing particles to be manipulated be a possibility for future ARMA's or is it not at all practicle/posssible?

I believe nothing is impossible... its all a question of available hardware...

Seems like an extravagant use of resources, when the smoke doesn't even block AI vision according to particle density and wind direction, but arbitrary radius.

I want interactive smoke, helicopter rotor downwash should definately move smoke, you see it in all the nam movies, yellow smoke flares getting blown around, it can't be that hard if physx is involved. I want to see trees moving with rotorwash also :)

It would be nice to see the smoke vortex up when the choppas go to “wop wop†around our heads! ;)