Sign in to follow this  
MissileMoose

Dedicated server file download.

Hello there,

I recently purchased a dedicated server with Ubuntu 10.04 installed and with to run a couple of ArmA 2 servers. However I am curious to know if there is a download for the whole game install that I can get with 'wget' instead of uploading on my <1MB up connection? So is there a safe/used/recommended/legit install that I can download anywhere?

Thanks,

Moose.

PS. The search is being very slow, apologies if this isn't the only post.

Edited by MissileMoose

Are you asking if someone has putted full A2 content on a http / ftp server etc etc ??

Dont think anyone will tell you if thay did. or would be smart of them posting such a link here.

The Problem is anyone can come and claim i bough arma, and need some ""other"" place to downloade the files to the server from.

Are you asking if someone has putted full A2 content on a http / ftp server etc etc ??

Dont think anyone will tell you if thay did. or would be smart of them posting such a link here.

The Problem is anyone can come and claim i bough arma, and need some ""other"" place to downloade the files to the server from.

I completely understand your point there. It can be quite difficult for me to prove that I legally own the game without sharing my serial numbers with you for you to test, which I am obviously not going to do. Though if I desperately wanted an illegitimate installation of the game then I would be searching around on the internet for downloads that are already up, not posting here. I was simply requesting a download link for a legitimate, virus free copy of ArmA 2 Combined Operations that I could download directly to my server instead of uploading nearly eighteen gigabytes of data on my one megabyte (upload) connection.

I do thank you for your post though as I have now realised that if somebody posted up their server installation, I could continue to download to my local machine and get a 'free' copy of ArmA. So to overcome this, would it be possible for somebody to upload their installation minus the serial/activation file (if one exists?) so I could then later add it from my own install?

I have calculated the upload on my connection, it would take just over two days to fully upload. The upload time would increase depending on usage from other machines.

As I said above, it's difficult to prove that I own ArmA legitimately. Whoever decides to help can be assured that I own a legal hard copy of Cold War Crisis and digital copies from GAME/Sprocket for ArmA 2 and it's DLC.

I greatly appreciate it if anybody could assist me with this.

Thanks.

just a tought. can the sprocket app run under wine?

is so, you could use that

just a tought. can the sprocket app run under wine?

is so, you could use that

Sorry I don't understand what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase please?

He's saying you could install the Sprocket app and install ARMA onto the dedicated server. WINE is a program that allows a lot of different Windows applications to operate in the Linux environment. You wouldn't actually run the server through it, but this would at least allow you to get the source files onto the server.

This is a recurring question, but BI seem unable or unwilling to provide solution.

This is how it should work;

You buy a copy of the game, complete with license key.

From your server box, using remote desktop or similar, you log onto a BI provided FTP using your license key as a password.

You get access to server files.

When some lesser developers are not providing dedicated servers, BI has chosen to continue on the best course, which is to do so. But it's pointless if it's so difficult to get the required files onto a remote server. The stock answer of "the files are on your PC, just upload them" is just not good enough.

He's saying you could install the Sprocket app and install ARMA onto the dedicated server. WINE is a program that allows a lot of different Windows applications to operate in the Linux environment. You wouldn't actually run the server through it, but this would at least allow you to get the source files onto the server.

That seems interesting, I'll give it a try. So if I'm understanding this correctly all I need to do is download the files to my server, then run the .exe that WINE would let me use?

Also, I have the downloads for BAF and PMC but I'm unsure if I need to install those as well. Any ideas?

I just installed WINE and configured it according to the Ubuntu documentation, however I get this error message when running setup:

wine Arma2_Setup.exe

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window

----------

Assistance appreciated greatly.

set up your X..

then try something like

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

Edited by nuxil

set up your X..

then try something like

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

Hello,

Thanks for your response, would you be able to go into more details as I still can't get it working? What do you mean by 'set up your X..'?

install X server on the server. which most likely is already..

connect to to the server from windows to the linux server using remote desktop. example use VNC.

once you have thouse in place. log in as root. if you can not use root. sudo instead.

sudo export DISPLAY=":0.0"

sudo wine foobar.exe

For more help. i suggest you join the "Linux Arma Server" group on skype.