Sign in to follow this  
NutzMcKracken

O2 Compatibility with Windows 7 64 Bit

On running the application I get an error that I believe looks for DirectX 9 files:

"The program can't start because d3dx9_41.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I've tried running the program in XP compatibility mode (SP3) and no dice.

I do understand that Windows 7 runs Direct X 11, but wouldn't it run previous versions of Direct X as well?

I was wondering if there will be a fix for this since I can run ArmA 1 fine and was about to install ArmA 2.

I'm using Windows 7 RTM 7600 64 bit version FYI.

Thanks

UPDATE:

I'm not sure exactly what happened in order for it to work properly, but O2 is working!! No errors or anything.

I did however start O2 from start menu and then browsed to tools via the "all programs" route. I then got a prompt of the license agreement and it worked!

Here's some variables that may help to fix the issue for some people out there that I tried:

For compatibility, I am running O2 "as administrator" and also selected Windows XP service Pack 3 so you may have all the vairables. (right click on O2 icon and goto "Compatibility" TAB, you will then see the mentioned configurations)

Another point I might add since I was having a sound driver issue with TeamSpeak, I activated the Administrator account and used it for some driver installs. I've been told you need to activate it at least once for some driver installs to work properly...so this might have fixed it.

How to access and enable hidden admin account and more:

To enable the admin account, follow this simple step by step tutorial:

- Right click on Command Prompt -> Run as administrator -> type in the command “net user administrator /active:yesâ€.

- You might want to password protect you newly enabled admin account, so type in “Net user administrator passwordâ€. Replace “password†with the password of your choice, just make sure not to forget it.

- Log off after the command has been executed. When you login you will notice that the admin account has been enabled. To disable it once again, use the “net user administrator /active:no†command.

Alternative way of enabling the admin account:

- Start -> Search -> type in “secpol.msc†-> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Accounts: Administrator Account -> double click to enable/disable -> Log off and log back in to see the modifications.

Guest RKSL-Rock
"The program can't start because d3dx9_41.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

You can fix that by updating you DX9 setup. I got the full package from the microsoft site, updated DX and i no longer had the problem:

DX webinstaller.

It seems Win7 has a blind spot when it comes to some parts of DX9 when you use the Windows Update option.

You can fix that by updating you DX9 setup. I got the full package from the microsoft site, updated DX and i no longer had the problem:

DX webinstaller.

It seems Win7 has a blind spot when it comes to some parts of DX9 when you use the Windows Update option.

In Windows 7 you can't update Direct X 9, Win 7 is running DX11 actually.

The above steps I posted fixed it and its running correctly.

Almost similar to DX9 running DX8 parts for previous legacy games. My issue was to due with having proper admin rights running those compatibility components of DX9.

Something to keep in mind, eventhough you may have created your login as an administrator account when you install Windows 7, (and not being part of a domain, that's a different story) you need to at least login first as the actual local administrator account once. This has proven to fix alot of issues dealing with drivers, Direct X, legacy programs (this includes Win XP games and some applications that aren't running right).

Follow some of the steps I listed before to avoid this. Most out there either are using RC1, and only a slight few actually have RTM 7600 due to SA agreements with Microsoft. Those that are interested in Windows 7 will have to wait till official retail release date (Oct 22nd) and they might find this useful afterwards (unless an update comes along to make this easier or convuluted).

In addition it helps to reduce UAC (User Access Control) settings\prompting.

Also worth noting, the new O2 (ArmA 2) works fairly well. I think in looking at the dates and times (and if my memory serves me right) this issue was with ArmA 1 O2.

:)

Edited by NutzMcKracken

With Win7 I got into the habit of running every install by, right clicking on the exe and selecting "run as administrator".

Although I was never sure the same was being applied to other programs run by the inital setup.exe.

Guest RKSL-Rock
SirSmok@lot;1423679']In Windows 7 you can't update Direct X 9' date=' Win 7 is running DX11 actually...:)[/quote']

But direct X 11 retain some DX9 components for backward compatibility. Depending on your build of Win7 these are missing which is why you get "xxxx.dll" missing errors.

Manually running (as opposed to Win Update) the DX installer replaces these missing files ensuring you can run the DX9 apps succesfully.

Good to hear, glad that worked, it must be some base components of DX9 that O2 needs that neither Win 7 nor XP versions seem to have. As one put it best, a blind side.

@RKSL I'm with you on this, at the time I couldn't find anything DX9 related that would work with Win 7 64bit....I think MS has acknowledged this I'm assuming as I haven't an error when installing it on another win 7 64bit machine in the past month or so.

Good to hear, glad that worked, it must be some base components of DX9 that O2 needs that neither Win 7 nor XP versions seem to have. As one put it best, a blind side.

@RKSL I'm with you on this, at the time I couldn't find anything DX9 related that would work with Win 7 64bit....I think MS has acknowledged this I'm assuming as I haven't an error when installing it on another win 7 64bit machine in the past month or so.

So you believe me now then.

If you follow the Win 7 RC forums and you will see this was a known issue and that the DX Web installer method i suggested in my first post is the official suggested fix.

However it have been fixed for months, since the RTM version infact. However it is still an issue with Win X > Win 7 upgrade versions and RC > Full versions due to the different registry architectures. I cant find the MSDN page that explains it but its been public for about 12 months.

I am about to install windows 7 on my mac pro, and I want to be able to run oxygen2, arma I and arma II on it. Do you guys reccomend Win 7 Professional over Premium? I expect XP mode is pretty useful?

I am about to install windows 7 on my mac pro, and I want to be able to run oxygen2, arma I and arma II on it. Do you guys reccomend Win 7 Professional over Premium? I expect XP mode is pretty useful?

Im not sure it will make a difference. There were a few people running arma1/2 via Bootcamp I'd suggest tracking them down and asking how they've gone on.

Re 7 Pro vs Premium. Apart form XP mode the only huge difference is Pro lets you join a network domain. You can run a copy of xp in VMPlayer for free in Premium so that solves most issues. I have Premium on my main PC and Pro on my Laptop there is no visible difference really.

Home premium will really suffice, major benefit of pro is to run XP mode a VM / Virtual PC of XP. I'm pretty sure they turn this off for Home Premium owners.

Other then that no real big benefits of Pro over the other will work fine for O2.

Also if you are thinking of Ultimate, no big benefit except for MUI multi-lingual User Interface and Bit Locker over Pro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

I have many Problems whit TexView2 on Win7 64bit.

I will Select a .tga or .paa on any folder, then hang up Texview2 ??? Then Reacts nothing more on Texview2 ! :mad:

I have many Problems whit TexView2 on Win7 64bit.

I will Select a .tga or .paa on any folder, then hang up Texview2 ??? Then Reacts nothing more on Texview2 !

What do you mean "hang up"? If you mean when your saving a texture and change a folder TexView 2 crashes then this happenes to me too, I had this problem since the old TexView 1 on Windows XP, same problem with the new one on Windows 7 32 bit, but some people dont have this problem, I guess its one of those BIS bugs that never gets fixed. :j:

What do you mean "hang up"? If you mean when your saving a texture and change a folder TexView 2 crashes then this happenes to me too, I had this problem since the old TexView 1 on Windows XP, same problem with the new one on Windows 7 32 bit, but some people dont have this problem, I guess its one of those BIS bugs that never gets fixed. :j:

I will click on the .tga (32bit Texture) then reacts te Program nothing more. Then must i Complet cloase Texview2 whit "CTRL" + "ALT" + "DEL" from the Task Manager. I do not know what is the Problem on this.

I will click on the .tga (32bit Texture) then reacts te Program nothing more. Then must i Complet cloase Texview2 whit "CTRL" + "ALT" + "DEL" from the Task Manager. I do not know what is the Problem on this.

Ok I understand now :smile: This is very strange, maybe something is wrong with the way you saved the .tga file. You could upload the .tga file thats making this problem here so we can have a look if it does the same thing. Does this occur only on 1 .tga file or more of them?

Try this .tga file and see if it works, I tested it on my computer and it works ok.

http://www.mediafire.com/?modguzzxij2

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. If you have only 4GB of RAM or less I don’t see any advantages in using 64bit, better to stick with 32 bit.

You can also try to set the compatibility of the program to Windows XP.

Right click Tex2View.exe > Properties > Compatibility > Windows XP (Sp2) > OK

Finally if everything else fails, you can install Windows XP mode or how it's called, it basically emulates Windows XP on Windows 7, but I never used it so I dont know if it can also emulate 32 bit Windows XP on a 64 bit OS. Or you can install Vista or XP 32 bit in a virtual machine, which is the worst option in my point of view.

You can also try to set the compatibility of the program to Windows XP.

Right click Tex2View.exe > Properties > Compatibility > Windows XP (Sp2) > OK

Finally if everything else fails, you can install Windows XP mode or how it's called, it basically emulates Windows XP on Windows 7, but I never used it so I dont know if it can also emulate 32 bit Windows XP on a 64 bit OS. Or you can install Vista or XP 32 bit in a virtual machine, which is the worst option in my point of view.

Wow, its Work now. I have change the Compatibility for Win XP (SP2). Now Work´s TexView2 on Win 7 (64bit)

THX. Mate !!! :bounce3:

Wow, its Work now. I have change the Compatibility for Win XP (SP2). Now Work´s TexView2 on Win 7 (64bit)

THX. Mate !!! :bounce3:

No problem :smile: I'm glad to hear it works for you now

lol ..... so another "BIS bug" bites the dust.

........... too many people blame BIS.

The Tools were designed for In-House use (made prior to Win7 etc) and BIS kindly tidies them up a little before handing them over to the community. They dont have the people, money or time to tweak this stuff to work on EVERYONES slightly different computer.

*sorry, rant triggered by BIS tools working all fine for me from start, no tweaks, on Win7 64bit*