Sign in to follow this  
Choki

Iron Front - Liberation 1944, new WW2 game on A2:OA engine

I wish the game could be quite different in some realistic details than those of in44 and some other mods, such as real ranks on soldiers and officers. For example we could tell corporals, sergeants, lieuts,captains and even majors by their ranks. Each model of soldier and officer in same rank could have several different options, such as in hats, side caps, helmets and visors. That could make more figure choices and variations in game and feel strong reality with troop forming to avoid to see so many same one, for instance a same looking corporal in the leadership of all groups.

Dunno but were they really stupid enough in WW2 to put on their rank, insignia etc. in the field? One of the things a soldier learns these days is not to salute an officer in the field and not to wear rank insignia. Because all these features add a giant halo above a potential target.

But yep, variation by different caps etc. would be nice, I think I've seen that though?

Edited by Icewindo

Dunno but were they really stupid enough in WW2 to put on their rank, insignia etc. in the field?

Well, WW2 officers usually didn't bother to carry long guns, often even to wear same uniforms as grunts, So I think wearing their insignia wasn't the biggest concern. But again, WW2 officers rarely apeared close enough to actual frontline to get shot. Guerrilla warfare was not as much about sniping as it was in Vietnam, and snipers had to make deep penetration of enemy lines to find worthy prey. Usually artillery officers.

That "hiding tree in forest" tactic mainly developed during Vietnam.

Unit insignia were phased out because of security concerns, only rank insignia were allowed on shoulder-straps on field uniforms. Imo there is no need for a unreal aka gamey unit identification system where one can always see a "important" unit from distance. Btw germans in WW2 used different strategy and methods of operations eg tactical command on section/team level (faster decision-making cycles).

As far as I know the german and russian officers were distinguishable from the usual troops.

We have almost all the ranks from private to colonel presented in the game, everyone with their various insignias, you will be able to note it in the game yourself. Everything is authentic, accurate, with attention to detail. By the way, you can see it by yourself in the "russian" video about the infantry, take a look at the shoulder boards for example, you will be able to note the various ranks.

Well low ranking officers were amongst their troops, AFAIK.

Back in WW2, not really, unless you mean warant officers or NCOs. Whlle they do what is considered officer's job, they're not one by rank.

@panzer_baron

Nice! Now all we need is mini-campaign with randomly generated sniper missions, where player is supposed to sneak his way through enemy lines, kill an officer and makie it back alive, and we weill probably have the most realistic sniper mission ever.

Edited by boota

New 40 min. multiplayer gameplay video by SideStrafe

i1prfOG91pw

We have almost all the ranks from private to colonel presented in the game, everyone with their various insignias, you will be able to note it in the game yourself. Everything is authentic, accurate, with attention to detail. By the way, you can see it by yourself in the "russian" video about the infantry, take a look at the shoulder boards for example, you will be able to note the various ranks.

Great news! Iron front really doesn't make us disappointed in historical details! Those almost are overlooked by many other games and mods. Its a pain since that only makes a game as just a game. But in Iron front, you could feel to play a real battle in that time. i also note the art work of iron front is also aweful with strong sense of historical accuracy of vehicles, uniforms, kits, weapon and environment.

Edited by Fkymplbo

I cannot wait any longer for this.

As far as I know the german and russian officers were distinguishable from the usual troops.

Yeah, think so. That truth could be seen in lots of documentary pictures. Especially for higher rank officers, even for platoon leaders and company commanders, they usually didnt expose obviously under the fire in the very front. In addition, the enemy also couldn't see their exact rank marks from hundreds of yards away usually. Unless in some extremely dangerous cases with enemy's snipers presence, they generally didn't need to hide their status. Anyway to command troops with persuasive ranks should be more important to cover them for reason of a personal security.

Back in WW2, not really, unless you mean warant officers or NCOs. Whlle they do what is considered officer's job, they're not one by rank.

I meant low ranking officers, up to captain or major if you prefer.

Definetly porting Warfare and then GunGame as soon as I get this hahaha

I heard it's supposed to be on Steam, I wonder if it'll also be on Amazon if I want to buy a physical copy.

Yes of course.

Do you know that for a fact? Because it's NOT a BIS product, it's simply their engine. Doesn't mean they are necessarily going to sell the game.

It's already on amazon

Do you have a link to it? Because I just searched amazon.com and didn't find it.

Do you know that for a fact? Because it's NOT a BIS product, it's simply their engine. Doesn't mean they are necessarily going to sell the game.

Do you have a link to it? Because I just searched amazon.com and didn't find it.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007HLUBFO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwkochmediac-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B007HLUBFO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Front-Liberation-1944-PC-DVD/dp/B005GUPQJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337199274&sr=8-1

also ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Iron-Front-Liberation-1944-NEUWARE-PC-VB-/370609959999?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item564a13343f

And yes, it's a fact, the game will appear on BI store soon.

Aye, looking forward to it. ;)

Mr. Charles

Marketing tactics.... ;)

Don`t be surprised with it, anyway the developers are not those ones who set the prices for a product.

37 eur is passable price for product at this quality.

Unlike Call of Duty "sequels" ala MW3, "Black ops 2" for example which is like DLC for 60 eur...

What for 60 eur ? For a copy of previous "sequel" !? Nah, thanks...

Only blinded kids buy such games.

But pardon my with bit off-topic words.

That's why I can't find it, it's only on european stores right now. Kinda looking for something North American, guess I'll wait for it on steam.

Definitely going to buy this. Can't wait!

The trenches in iron front seem totally workable. Then the supporting fire from the attacking side would be very important. Not quite sure how the indirect fire support from artillery units work in iron front. Could AI observer guide the fire from Mortar or other cannons?