Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

we should be asking BIS to make the other sounds quieter, not the guns louder!

Best suggestion I've heard in a while.

Actually, the gun sounds are just fine, its everything else that is too loud in comparison.

Much like I keep saying with the loudness war links, we should be asking BIS to make the other sounds quieter, not the guns louder!

If you're talking about the sound mechanics, I agree, but the samples themselves are just pathetic.

the sounds in arma make BI look like a garage production.. I expect more from them for my money. If they don't bring a patch with official new sounds I'm not even going to consider buying ArmA III or other BI games in the future - and certainly not gonna recommend them.

the sounds in arma make BI look like a garage production.. I expect more from them for my money. If they don't bring a patch with official new sounds I'm not even going to consider buying ArmA III or other BI games in the future - and certainly not gonna recommend them.

FPDR :bye:

And nothing of value was lost...

I stand corrected: some time was wasted.

Edited by MadDogX

What exactly dont you like about the sounds? The samples? The loudness?

With this statement you will have to be more specific and reasonable.

On a sidenote ;)

The sound is terrible and too loud most the time i barely have my speakers up because once you hear that one pop of a bullet coming towards you, say goodbye to your hearing.

the only thing i like sound wise in arma 2 is the music everything is bland/meh or downright horrid.

but theres plenty of other good things if BIS really focus more on the sound engine though for arma 3 the immersion level would increase that much more.

Some posts are so perfectly formed in their ignorance, impoliteness, non-constructive grasping and demanding self-importance that it warrants quoting.

The sound is terrible and too loud most the time i barely have my speakers up because once you hear that one pop of a bullet coming towards you, say goodbye to your hearing.

the only thing i like sound wise in arma 2 is the music everything is bland/meh or downright horrid.

Agree

If you pay attention to the gun sounds in the BCD A3 preview by gamespot you can tell(despite the fact that a recorded sound being recorded doesn't sound as good as the sound itself) that the gun sound have an approtite snappy punch to them (even silenced) and they dont sound anything like garbage.

BobcatBob becouse in the studio they improve it, and the microphones arent the same as the camera

So, Ivan mentioned in the radio interview that they're looking at improving the sounds, along the lines of popular sound mods, he said. So even if the sound engine isn't getting a substantial overhaul, at least the sounds themselves should be better.

So, Ivan mentioned in the radio interview that they're looking at improving the sounds, along the lines of popular sound mods, he said. So even if the sound engine isn't getting a substantial overhaul, at least the sounds themselves should be better.

Actually he did briefly mention some improvements to the sound engine, but it was rather vague.

Actually he did briefly mention some improvements to the sound engine, but it was rather vague.

Well he said a video might surface which will showcase some of the improvements.

Time will tell...

Well obviously they will release videos at some point for general PR purposes, we'll see/hear the changes then.

Although last time I got excited about 'sound engine improvements', it was in Arrowhead and it really only referred to the radio chatter I think.

AO alse added more sound channels.

There isn't actually anything wrong with the Arma sounds, they're closer to reality than any of the games mentioned above by the way. Though I'd admit that the engine could use a nice postprocessing engine for the sound, some environmental audio at least would be good.

What it sounds like all of you are after is the traditional hollywood-type bs that most other games employ to make them sound like movies. Arma is a simulator, and it does that pretty well. I'll admit some of the rapid-fire weapons don't quite hit the mark but again, you need a better sound engine to get the correct effects (something BF:BC2 has... a good engine, their sound samples are a bit shit though). Some variability in the samples Arma use would also be good, again this could be achieved through post processing.

BFBC2 sounds are far better and closer to reality then ARMA. The soundfiles themselves arent particularly realistic but the sound engine creates the real booming sound while ARMA just sounds pop gun and tinny and lacks depth.

There isn't actually anything wrong with the Arma sounds, they're closer to reality than any of the games mentioned above by the way. Though I'd admit that the engine could use a nice postprocessing engine for the sound, some environmental audio at least would be good.

No most of us are just sick of the really aweful explosion sounds, that one missile sound from the OA trailer at the end comes to mind.

Being able to hear birds chirp while in a jet.

BFBC2 sounds are far better and closer to reality then ARMA. The soundfiles themselves arent particularly realistic but the sound engine creates the real booming sound while ARMA just sounds pop gun and tinny and lacks depth.

sure then try fire 16+ weapons at once in BC2 :D ...

it has some nice features and it's great on faking the actual effects (yay echos and so on)...

the main problem with the sounds of older weapons are the samples used not the sound engine in ARMA

ofcourse there are many areas where the sound engine needs and will be improved ... but that's another story

instead of comparing with BC2 compare with BF3 which has really better sound engine than erm BC2

If the engine can incorporate its own basic realtime multiband EQ/Compression/Hi & Lo pass filtering, dynamic reverb etc which can be event scripted aswell it would be a step forward.

There is allot you can do with a raw sound with on the fly fx chains. Think of the sound engine incorporating real time FX chains that you can do in video editing/music S/W (VST's etc) but built into engine and also scriptable. You could then config audio with EQ band setting, filter sweep setting, compression level, stereo pan, reverb amount (based on environment) .. that would be a instant real time boost to the raw audio file triggered.

But geared toward Sound chip doing the work more than dumping to CPU if possible (I suspect not completely impossible).

Edited by mrcash2009

+1

I'm going to be honest here,

I never had any personal problems with ArmA's sounds. The one thing that blew me away was the cracking sound of the guns being fired at you. Being that I've never fired a weapon before, It was quite odd to hear that. But then reading here on the forums someone asked about the cracking sounds and people said that it happens in real life. Not only that, Its a very clear indicator that someone is shooting at you. While in other games, you can be in front of the weapon and it will still sound the same as when you are behind it. So sometimes it was hard to tell if someone was shooting at you, unless you hear the bullets hitting the area around you.

Sad to say this, But for once It was pretty awesome to hear someone shooting at me. :rolleyes:

One thing I do hope for in the sound improvements though, Is the sound change of your weapons being fired depending on what type of environment your shooting in. Like when you shooting in a large empty hanger you will hear the sound bouncing off the walls ect. And if the hanger is filled with objects, the echo effect will be reduced.

Edited by Haystack15