Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

AI ROF Changes with camera direction / distance...

One thing thats been borthering me recently is that when the AI is further away or your not facing the AI their ROF goes to some kind of generic half a sec shot regardless of the weapon being fired. So this means that a High ROF minigun or SA-19 Tunguska 30mm is the same as everything else. It seems to be about the 0.5 so a weapon that shoots 4000rpm goes to like 120rpm or something like that? I cant get rid of its another one of BIS dogey hardcoded things again. I can remember this also in ArmA 1 :j:

So tacticly this is completly crap, as everything seems to get reverted to generic ROF it doesnt matter if you send a minigun or m240 into battle away from you as both will be doing the same ROF.. Or even worse case setting up a AAA Shilka or a BMP2 doesnt matter both will be doing the same ROF if your not looking at them or are further away from them...... :j:

ive never had such an issue before, whether im looking at ai or not does not effect their rate of fire on my end. If i tell my squad mates to suppress they will suppress as expected. Although rate of fire is determined by line of sight to enemy, so if ai cant see the enemy, they will have lower ROF.

Are you sure FADE isn't enabled unintentionally?

No its nothing to do with FADE. Its been there since ArmA

Heres a video to show what i mean...

Notice how when i look at the vehicle it fires at its intended ROF set at something like 3000-4000rpm then when i look away its ROF is lower and also when its just outside the view of the screen on the edge it changes. This doesnt happen when your really close to the vehicle but further away it does. The ROF goes down to about 300rpm?

RWArxk_CAFM

Edited by Opticalsnare

Yeh ive tried them and it still happens regardless of what settings you use. Its like its a hardcoded feature to help performance when combat is not onscreen, hence the ROF is correct when looking directly at the weapon being fired as being when your not looking at the weapon/vehicle.

Example

aiRateOfFire = 2;	// delay between shots at given distance
		aiRateOfFireDistance = 500;

Means the AI will fire every 2secs when the target is < 500m and as the target gets closer the aiRateOfFire gets quicker so targets in closer the AI will obv firer quicker. This is to stop the AI using single shot firing as fast as the weapon can cycle. So they have to Reaim the same for burst or fullauto setup in the burst rounds setting. So If you have a Machine Gunner he will fire his burst of rounds say 4-6 round burst of automatic fire, stop and reaim every 2secs at the distance given. Unless im mistaken. But anyway changing aiRateOfFireDistance to 0 or 5000 and setting the aiRateOfFire to match the cycle rate of the weapon does not fix the problem.

Its not mod related btw as ive tried without and is still present. Like i said it only happens when your not looking in the direction of whatever is being fired and at a distance from about 300meters away.

Edit:

Found that this has been brought up before.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=67616

And doh i even mentioned this myself 3 years ago lol

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=69452&highlight=rate+fire

Edited by Opticalsnare

How about a CIT ticket with a simple demo mission?

How about a CIT ticket with a simple demo mission?

I think its too late with A3 being just round the corner for them to do anything about it, it took them ages to fix the tracers where they wernt visable when you looked at them. By the time this even gets looked at if ever, A3 will be proberly released. Not to mention its been there since bloody ofp. :eek:

So will this bug be present in A3 i wonder? cause this kinda ruins the realism factor and has a massive impact on the whole tactical strategy is well.

Its like Il place some ZSU-23's here here here cause they have high rate of fire.. To defend my airspace while i go attack this objective few miles away, eeeeh errno wrong the weapons are useless cause the AI are firing them at a much reduced rate of fire. Ok il send a littlebird in to strafe a enemy camp with its twin 4000rpm Miniguns.... Nope Whats the point cause the miniguns will be firing at the same rate as a m240 no sorry even less than a M240 cause they are affected too. Argh its endless.

Il make a ticket anyway, if this is in A3 il scream my head off and quit modding.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/27064

Edited by Opticalsnare

That could be tested by putting the unit in front of a dense forest, and looking away into an open field.

No its nothing to do with FADE. Its been there since ArmA

Heres a video to show what i mean...

Notice how when i look at the vehicle it fires at its intended ROF set at something like 3000-4000rpm then when i look away its ROF is lower and also when its just outside the view of the screen on the edge it changes. This doesnt happen when your really close to the vehicle but further away it does. The ROF goes down to about 300rpm?

RWArxk_CAFM

your right, I have never noticed that before (but then again, ive never used vehicles or weapons with high rate of fire like in the video)

hope this gets fixed, however I do see alot of problems with computing 2000-4000rpm, having 3 of such units firing for a minute would probably cause fps to drop 10-20 frames.

Perhaps this was a limitation of the engine and this is the only workaround to it?

I don't see a problem with making high ROF weapons switch to some sort of higher damage or area effect compensation when not observed by the player.

But this should be affected by distance, not facing, and the sound should remain the same.

I don't see a problem with making high ROF weapons switch to some sort of higher damage or area effect compensation when not observed by the player.

But this should be affected by distance, not facing, and the sound should remain the same.

Yeh the sound for me is the biggest give away for me. Automatic weapons fire becomes pop-pop-pop-pop and then when you look alround it goes popopopopop then back to pop-pop-pop really annoying.

Thing is tho this not affects high-rate weapons but generally every single weapon from rifles to machineguns. Just that the higher rate of fire a weapon has the most it is going to be affected because its not firing nowhere near what it should be firing at.

Yeah, some of the time you have guys firing at rates that are clearly below automatic but above what the human trigger finger can do within the realms of reality.

Yeah, some of the time you have guys firing at rates that are clearly below automatic but above what the human trigger finger can do within the realms of reality.

Bumpfire?

Edit: OS, I play with ACE and I don't get small arms varying ROF based on camera direction. There is definitely a difference between 5m and 100m of distance, however.

And weird... the Tunguska fires automatic when I'm looking away, but semi automatic when I look at it.

Edited by maturin