Sign in to follow this  
NoRailgunner

[Resolved] Flashing rendering artifact

What HW is needed to see the artifact?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What HW is needed to see the artifact?

• I have nVidia and I can see the artifact
    • I have ATI/AMD and I can see the artifact
    • I have nVidia and I have never seen the artifact
    • I have ATI/AMD and I have never seen the artifact

I'll try that, I'm just re-installing right now to get it back to default.

Chance of another picture is slim though.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Oh well, the next problem is that it now runs the game at about 1fps and if I press f9 the game crashes.

I did get the window up though.

-nosound doesn't seem to work, I still have sound in the game. I don't know if that's why it crashes.

Edited by F2k Sel

-nosound doesn't seem to work, I still have sound in the game.

Yup, same here - sound is still there, even with the -nosound parameter. No crashing or low framerates for me though.

Just not getting the flash bug anymore. :o

Will try some more, later today.

Edited by MadDogX

The low frame rate seems to have gone away for the most part and removing the -cpucount reduced the crashes but not enough. If it doesn't crash while capturing it crashes on exit.

To extend on artifacts I mentioned before about wood fence lines with shrubs that would flicker in a line, sky will sometime flick out to black very sudden and random.

Also I noticed that volumetric clouds in the background when turning head can flash/flicker into the foreground of a distant hill and near field trees, its real quick and looks like white flicker but its in fact the cloud putting itself in front of whats blocking it.

I'm able to get the artifacting on Proving Grounds with latest beta, but capturing it with PIX (single frame keypress) has so far been impossible, since it appears for a frame or two. Need better reaction times. :(

Some patterns i noticed (probably meaningless, but what the hell):

- There is usually foliage in the same screen area as the artifacting

- Rabbits are also in the same screen area

- When you've discovered general area where you can spot the artifacting, it can be triggered by opening the quick-command menu (but not reliably enough to time it for PIX capture).

Observed a simillar behaviour (though not that extreme) when recording for a video. I changed the time so the sun would shine from a different direction and it dissapeared. I am not saying this is the solution to your problem but for my project it at least worked.

Some patterns i noticed (probably meaningless, but what the hell):

- There is usually foliage in the same screen area as the artifacting

- Rabbits are also in the same screen area

- When you've discovered general area where you can spot the artifacting, it can be triggered by opening the quick-command menu (but not reliably enough to time it for PIX capture).

The problem seems to be the Wabbit, try placing 30-40 a few hundred meters in front of you and the artifact flashes in nearly every other screen shot.

Great, I think both of you deserve the prize - having repro is even better than having a PIX capture, and you did a great job finding it. I will check the stockroot to see what is available and contact you later this day with a list so that you can choose what you like best - and you nicks will be perpetuated in the changelog with the fix, which I hope to have ready soon :).

Edited by Suma

Well done fella's that's awesome the effort you went to to find the problem and allow Suma and Co to carry on with other Dev work and off course the fix for the artifact.

you nicks will be perpetuated in the changelog with the fix, which I hope to have ready soon

Does this mean you found the problem now Suma? Is it possible to explain in simple terms what kind of bug it was and what you have to do to fix it in a few lines? Probably not, but it is unusual for us to be able to be involved in some way with ARMA2 development and its just interesting that's all : P

Thanks again...I love how everyone works together for the better of the game.

So the artifact was caused by cute wittle wabbits? LOL :yay:

Yeah, confirmed. place 50 rabbits around you and flashing is guaranteed. Actually the brown artifacts seem to be parts of the rabbits?

angrywabbit.png

Give me food or your screen gets it.

Well done for finding this - been trying to re-create (and capture) it for days!

Dem wascally wabbits!

elmer_fudd.jpg

Edited by Zipper5
Fixed crappy image hotlinking filter

I hope the new beta with a fix will come shortly now. Also because the lack of bullet impact visualisation needs to be addressed as well.

Then it finally will be possible to say that betas are getting back on track since 79600

Fixed in 82928. The problem was interpolation of the animation phase was sometimes generating results outside of expected 0-1 range when animation was fast, and as a result the generated matrices used for skinned were broken. (In this case the running animation is played 18x per second.)

The problem was interpolation of the animation phase was sometimes generating results outside of expected 0-1 range when animation was fast, and as a result the generated matrices used for skinned were broken. (In this case the running animation is played 18x per second.

Ok...wow......Suma must be a rocket scientist. By the way is this guy

, does anyone know what Suma looks like?

That explains what I was wondering about how something that works perfectly before suddenly becomes an issue with this new "Future".

Anyway, congrats on the find.