Sign in to follow this  
moricky

Debug Console for ARMA 2

ck911 im sure Gaia doesnt want a unpboed version of his addon posted up in the thread!

I think he doesn't mind.

Since I'm not planning to continue working on it, feel free to improve it as you wish.
Edited by Deadfast

GAIA posted before:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I improved my unofficial debug console from ArmA1 and ported it to ARMA 2.

Since I'm not planning to continue working on it, feel free to improve it as you wish.

Mhhh, this sounds to me as if Gaia intended to anyone to work with it?!

However, I have no problem if a MOD removes the link from my post. :)

I really do not understand why my questions could be an offence to other players? There are people who like to use this for SP. only!

Everybody should play this wonderful game as he/she wants. Just my 2cents ;-)

^^^^^Me was slower than Deadfast, then it has been already said what i mean...

Edited by ck911

I think he doesn't mind.

He doesn't ;)

@ck911: Very nice. I mean, seriously, you have no idea :)

Since you're able to modify it, how about some changes:

1) MP compatible in a dedicated server environment. But with following anti cheat safeguards:

* Server have to have the addon present, loaded, and signed.

* Not possible to start if BattlEye is not running (if at all possible).

* Not possible to start if signatures are not activated (if at all possible).

* Server looks up a server side .hpp setting file that contains the userID and userName and if addon should work at all.

* User have to be logged in as admin (not voted) and be in the userID and userName to be able to activate locally.

Reason, if not already obvious: Be able to test variables on the fly for bughunting if (read: when) stuff in the mission fails. I have only a single PC (like most I guess), have bad uplink (no other possibilities), and have to upload mission via remote and restart server every time I have to check a new variable. I have some debugging tools but I have to include them in missions to work and remove them every time I upload the actual play version, not very productive. And nowhere near as nice as this.

Are the suggested safeguards enough, or would it still allow others to cheat? I don't care if the pbo is protected to disallow cheaters easy access to such a tool, but it would be nice to have quick access to some dedicated debugging possibilities.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I would love a MP version aswell . I would imagine that it's great as an Instructor tool.

Thank you ck911! I was just gonna post to Gaia about an OA update. I appreciate the fact that you took the initiative and got it done!

Thanks again!

EDIT:

I just tried this in the Editor with one of my missions and it still doesn't work. No Debug option appears when I hit esc.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using ACE2 and CO.

Edited by Manzilla

There's no 'debug' button so-to-speak. It's 'hidden'. Wouldn't be hard to place one on the menu though. However, you can still operate the hidden button.

Press ESC to get the 'menu'. Then just hit the <ENTER> key on your keyboard.

Edited by Synide

I thought there was one added to the esc menu but if I remember correctly now, it was from the early ACE2 versions. My mistake.

Thank you for clearing that up.

New version released, download link and changelog updated also in first post.

DOWNLOAD

Version 1.01 (2010/12/08) changes:

Added: Console can now be accessed from multiplayer and 3D editor.
Added: Input field content is now saved even between missions and stays there until game is shut down.
Added: Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+6 shortcuts for executing command lines.

Fixed: Variable check now runs even with 0 acctime.
Fixed: Last expression field content was not saved.
Fixed: Interface is no longer replacing default game values.

Lovely! Just superb.

Added: Input field content is now saved even between missions and stays there until game is shut down

How the??? Need to check that one out. :)

Yup, seems like it. It's init.sqf is changed in that respect. Didn't know that was possible though - learn something every day :) Works in MP too. Although good for me during mission making and testing, isn't that at the same time a bit scary?

Problem here too: I copied the pbo file into my arma2\addons folder as instructed

When I run the console I get:

Script ca\stra_debug2\scripts\init.sqf not found

ArmA2 + OA combined, v1.56

Problem here too

My bad. Please download again.

I installed it ,hit esc key in the game but pause menu seems nothing different as usual.

what is my wrong? Please suggest to me.

I installed it ,hit esc key in the game but pause menu seems nothing different as usual.

what is my wrong? Please suggest to me.

Are you using ACE2? I did the same and see nothing as well. Haven't tried it without ACE2 though.

I can't see the console even while running vanilla ARAM2.

Hit ESC and then ENTER.

I've misunderstood,expected extra button for enter console as old version ACE2 was so.

Thanks!

My Variable monitor does not see to work. I put in the exec field "r = 4" and execute it. I put "r" in the monitor, and all I get is "any."

Any thoughts?

Does not work in ArmA II OA 1.57. Is somewhere documentation of API which debug console communicate with? I would like to try fix the console. It seems like it needs just edit config.cpp. But I can't do anything without documentation.

Edited by Vasek7